Esteban Carpio

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
This is quite a controversial case and good, objective analysis is difficult to find on the internet. This transcript from the Supreme Court of Rhode Island is easily the best and least emotive source of information I was able to find, while refreshing my memory on the case. I'm not trying to make any sort of statement by posting this thread; I just think it's a really interesting and confronting case and since I just stumbled on it a few years back, presumably many others have never heard anything about this.

On April 16, 2005, Carpio stabbed 84-year old Madeline Gatta while robbing her. A neighbour saw the robbery, noted the licence plate of the van Carpio was driving and reported it to police. The police arrested Carpio at his girlfriend's apartment without incident.

At the beginning of Carpio's interrogation, while waiting for the lead investigator, Detective James Allen, the other detectives asked Carpio a series of routine questions. For each question, Carpio either didn't respond, or repeated the question before providing a response (almost all of which were untrue, including his name and his record of arrests). As Detective Allen arrived and began asking similar questions, Carpio maintained that his name was Boselino Carr and that he didn't have a criminal record. The police knew who he was; as he was listed as an authorised driver of the van he was driving when he committed the robbery. Allen told Carpio: 'We know who you are and you are in serious trouble.'

Shortly after, Carpio asked to be given a drink of water (the transcript says 'glass of water', though I find it hard to believe the suspect in a stabbing earlier that day would be given a glass). Detective Timothy McGann left the interrogation room to get the water, leaving Carpio alone with Allen. McGann returned to hear shouting, a struggle and gunshots. The door was locked from the inside. After finally breaking into the room, McGann and the other detectives found Allen dead and no sign of Carpio. They soon found his escape route: an adjoining room with the window shot out. He had jumped from a third-floor window. A witness saw this unfold, saying that despite the big drop, Carpio sprung to his feet quickly and ran off.

Carpio fled to the home of a female friend. He refused to tell her what he had done, but asked her to call him a taxi to take him to New York. The cab driver who picked up the call, offering $500 for the ride, was suspicious and notified police, who followed him. As Carpio walked out to get the cab, he saw the police and tried to flee. He was caught and a violent struggle ensued, with Officer Christopher Zarrella testifying that he punched Carpio with a closed fist to the face three times, in an attempt to subdue him, as Carpio was kicking and flailing at the officers, despite being severely outnumbered.

The defence pleaded insanity and had psychiatrists testify that Carpio was suffering from a schizophrenic psychosis. The state had its own psychiatrists, who believed that Carpio was mentally fit to understand his actions and whether they were right or wrong, as well as testifying that they believed Carpio was faking his responses.The state noted that Carpio's multiple attempts to escape and his request for water to leave him alone with Allen as calculated efforts to evade capture, inconsistent with someone making an insanity plea.

Carpio's mother and girlfriend testified about his increasingly strange behaviour in the weeks leading up to the killing. Yvonne Carpio testified that she even called an ambulance to pick Esteban up on April 2 (two weeks before the killing). He was later released from hospital, with five Ambien pills. The jury found him guilty on all counts. No pre-sentencing motion for a new trial was filed by the defence. All later avenues for appeal failed. Esteban Carpio will die in prison.

All of this makes for a pretty interesting crime story in and of itself. But what has sensationalised the Esteban Carpio case are the injuries he suffered as the officers were subduing him. He was led into the courtroom for his arraignment with horrific injuries and wearing a 'spit mask'.

Warning: this footage is pretty confronting. If you don't like seeing this sort of thing, jump out of this thread now.

In what way is this controversial? I was expecting the story to end with him getting released. Instead it says he will die in prison as though there's some clear and tragic miscarriage of justice. Am I missing something?

In what way is this controversial? I was expecting the story to end with him getting released. Instead it says he will die in prison as though there's some clear and tragic miscarriage of justice. Am I missing something?

Basically the entire content of the video. He was unarmed at that stage (the gun was found on the ledge of the window he jumped out of) and was on his own against several police. Still, it apparently took that level of beating to subdue him. I don't think I have ever seen anyone beaten to that extent. I don't think many people can watch that video without feeling some degree of sympathy...not for Carpio, but for the courtroom packed with his family members.

That, and to a lesser degree, his mother sending him to hospital two weeks prior, purely because she was worried about his erratic behaviour. She apparently tried her best to help him and a couple of weeks later she has to deal with the news that he has stabbed an elderly woman and shot a police officer dead and then has to see him in that condition for his arraignment.

MC Extra Dollop

Where any of the injuries suffered after the arrest, while in custody, or did they all occur during the process of the arrest outside the house?

My understanding is that the police say that they all happened between the time that they recognised Carpio and the time they managed to get the cuffs on him ('The injuries were sustained while detaining an extremely aggressive and violent suspect'...something like that). I think it's pretty reasonable to be dubious about that though. He was unarmed and there would have been swarms of police. I don't think it would have taken that sort of beating to subdue and restrain him.

My understanding is that the police say that they all happened between the time that they recognised Carpio and the time they managed to get the cuffs on him ('The injuries were sustained while detaining an extremely aggressive and violent suspect'...something like that). I think it's pretty reasonable to be dubious about that though. He was unarmed and there would have been swarms of police. I don't think it would have taken that sort of beating to subdue and restrain him.

Did he wrestle once he was apprehended, it does say he tried to flee despite the swarm

I hear you to a degree but given the fact he had made contact with at least one friend in his time on the run and he attempted to flee the "swarm" rather than subdue a surrender police would have been right in behaving as if he were armed, he had opportunity to rearm. Add he had just killed two people and managed to escape the police station. Arresting him with full assumption he was armed and prepared to attack was not the wrong attitude and a degree of aggressive force justified.

Now don't think I condone police brutality, there were some video of an arrest in Connecticut a couple weeks ago and the police kicked and stomped on the subdued suspect as hey thought no one could see in the field. Disgusting behavior and they should all lose their badge for that as well as charges.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/bridgeport-police-brutality_n_2584123.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

But for this specific case. If there were no further attacks in the van or in custody there has to be some benefit of the doubt surrounding the circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back