Ethics/Morals

Dan Baker

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2017
Conspiracy Not
AFL Club
West Coast
the ethics of business can be summarised in -- the ethics are, uh -- y'know the thing about e--
AAAAAHHHHHH
Business is not human. Business is a psychopath like many CEOs. Unfortunately company law has water-falled becoming community ethics.

Last edited:

Dan Baker

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2017
Conspiracy Not
AFL Club
West Coast
Stealing is never on.

If a business makes a mistake though I reckon it's play on. I've accidentally given too much change once or twice through a lack of focus at work and they never comeback. Businesses cope with it. As long as they're not making some massive mistake they'll survive. Just think of all the times it's the opposite and they overcharge people via card (who probably won't even notice), or they screw up their order.

I once worked in retail. We would have to reconcile the tills until the error was found. One day the book keeper forgot to write up the petty cash amount for milk she bought. One hour later.... Never did the book keeper give us hard time.

It is important that business has the processes in place these days to reconcile financial loss. If a manager cant spot an anomaly, its on their head.

Japans quality control was, if someone wasnt screwing in enough bolts, the bloke next in the production line checking his work would get the sack if it was not done properly and missed. If a manager is not managing, what are they doing?

Then I worked for a company that does process analysis for corruption in companies. Go on, fill that can up with petrol on your Caltex card.

Fraud is not a good look on your resume'.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a mate who borrowed 7,000 off me 4 years ago and hasn't paid it back. Yesterday I found a shopping bag which he left in my car a couple of weeks ago. There was a couple of hundred dollars in there. He hasn't mentioned it so I don't think he realises it. Do I keep it, considering that it's looking unlikely I'm going to get my money back or do I say something to him?

Tell him: "thanks for the interest, when can i expect the principal?"

Dan Baker

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2017
Conspiracy Not
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a mate who borrowed 7,000 off me 4 years ago and hasn't paid it back. Yesterday I found a shopping bag which he left in my car a couple of weeks ago. There was a couple of hundred dollars in there. He hasn't mentioned it so I don't think he realises it. Do I keep it, considering that it's looking unlikely I'm going to get my money back or do I say something to him?
He is not your mate. You are his sucker

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
raskolnikov,

Keep the money and feign ignorance if he asks you about it. People leave s**t in cars all the time. If a mate left a bag in my car I wouldn't assume there's a few hundred bucks in it. If he says 'I need the bag I left in your car, it has monies in it' you can hit him with 'hey, funny story... remember that time I lent you 7 grand?

On using a fuel card for your mower etc. I don't see an issue with it. I'm assuming it's a fixed amount per month which would have been calculated based on a mileage of up to 'x' km. Not really an issue if you include an extra 10 L here or there (and that will last forever in a lawnmower) since it's really no different to driving an extra 100km in the car.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Bit of a tricky one here.

You could hand it back, then mention the outstanding sum he owes you.

Or you could say you found it, keep that and say you owe me $6XXX now. (Terrible idea).

Tough situation.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit like umpiring. For the little things you have as much go against you as goes for you evens out.

The other week I drove home from the pub, probably over.. Now a 4km trip up the road and I crawled at 40km/h. Not proud but I'm not about to dob myself into the cops. Although if I was caught I have no right to complain. Same thing with the "stealing"

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Bit like umpiring. For the little things you have as much go against you as goes for you evens out.

The other week I drove home from the pub, probably over.. Now a 4km trip up the road and I crawled at 40km/h. Not proud but I'm not about to dob myself into the cops. Although if I was caught I have no right to complain. Same thing with the "stealing"

The law is black and white but morality has grey areas. If you were a little over the limit you were breaking the law, but you were probably still a better driver than many people who legally drive on the roads sober.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

The $200 is neither here nor there compared to the $7000. Have you ever directly asked for the money back? What was the arrangement you made 4 years ago?

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I accidentally scored some free chips and gravy at my last trip to the WACA. $21 it would've been for two. I think the WACA can cope with that one.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Met a guy last night that referred to his cheese and kisses as "misso", confirmed as a thing *cringe*

Back