Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, any recommendations for a city to visit over winter/Christmas? I'm particularly interested in seeing cool sights and a decent nightlife would be a plus.

I'll hopefully have already done most of Croatia as well as Prague, Vienna and Bratislava by then, so any other city recommendations would be much appreciated.
I haven't been able to appreciate Christmas anywhere since I had it in Nuremberg. You walk into the main square and the smell of smoke, the trees, the lights. It's what you read about.

Berlin and munich christmas markets are unreal.
I'll be in Dortmund if you fancy a game of football as well
I haven't been able to appreciate Christmas anywhere since I had it in Nuremberg. You walk into the main square and the smell of smoke, the trees, the lights. It's what you read about.

A guy I'm studying with here in the Netherlands is from Dortmund and is a huge fan so I may venture to Dortmund at some point over the next few months to watch a game. But it's definitely something I'm interested in.

A guy I'm studying with here in the Netherlands is from Dortmund and is a huge fan so I may venture to Dortmund at some point over the next few months to watch a game. But it's definitely something I'm interested in.
ill be at the game v Augsburg just before the winter pause - hit me up if you'er in town

Make sure to get tickets as much in advance as possible as it's damn near impossible to do so on the day for Dortmund games.

Yeah the Amalfi coast sounds great. The next time I go to Europe I want to spend a few weeks doing absolutely nothing around there, just seeing pretty sights, having some nice food and drinks, just hanging out and taking it in. The Italians sound like cool people too, love a lot about their culture and the way they are.

Yeah the Amalfi coast sounds great. The next time I go to Europe I want to spend a few weeks doing absolutely nothing around there, just seeing pretty sights, having some nice food and drinks, just hanging out and taking it in. The Italians sound like cool people too, love a lot about their culture and the way they are.

The restaurants are quite cheap too. Compared to other high end areas. Some places will charge you for cutlery but it's minor.

I don't really like Rome but everywhere else I've been in Italy it's great.. And cheaper than France.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Europe I just find is incredible. Only visiting 9 cities and thought that would leave me satisfied but it hasn't at all. Thinking about coming back for an extended stay of 6-12 months and maybe doing some hostel work for a couple of months. Almost feels like a different world compared to the sheltered environment back in Australia.

Funny you guys mention Dortmund, I'm actually going to watch them this weekend! Absolutely buzzing to check out their stadium.

Hey guys, any recommendations for a city to visit over winter/Christmas? I'm particularly interested in seeing cool sights and a decent nightlife would be a plus.

I'll hopefully have already done most of Croatia as well as Prague, Vienna and Bratislava by then, so any other city recommendations would be much appreciated.
100% have to do Salzburg in Austria. It's an incredibly beautiful city when covered in snow, and you can do trips to the Austrian Alps as well which are breathtaking. Fork out a couple of quid to go to the top of the castle and you get amazing views of both sides of the city, one side looking over the city and the other looking at the Alps. My only regret is that I only did a day trip as I preferred it to Vienna.

6-salzburg-in-winter-jakob-radlgruber.jpg

Another place I went to was Innsbruck, however that was only in Summer. Could only begin to imagine what it would look like in the middle of winter. It's in the heart of the Austrian Tyrol.

Funny you guys mention Dortmund, I'm actually going to watch them this weekend! Absolutely buzzing to check out their stadium.
Nice - where are your seats!

Pity the game is against Darmstadt - the most boring, pointless team you'll ever see. Will be interesting to be there and see first hand the reaction to Goetze's first home game. Take heaps of pics and enjoy the experience, its like nothing else!

There's actually a sportsbar in Dortmund city called Bam-Boomerang. It's australian themed and tacky as hell - and they serve fosters :S

There is, however, a really good specialty coffee shop called Neues Schwarz (New Black). Well worth a visit

https://www.facebook.com/NEUES-SCHWARZ-Kaffeerösterei-1481576288763946/

What's a good little route to do for two/threeish weeks in southern Europe? This is for late July and early August next year.

I went from Paris to Budapest last time and went via Germany so skipped the whole area, but I'm honestly craving a few weeks of doing FA. Obviously pretty scenes, hospitable and good people, nice food are essentials – what are a good few places in Italy/Greece? Don't need too many cathedrals or museums or s**t to check out, been there done that.

Ok checking in

Iceland was ******* amazing. Expensive as **** for your typical backpacking young plebs like me. Landscape is ******* amazing. Beaches purely black. Some awesome sights. Friendly people. Decent nightlife

Sweden is also the ****. Two great nights out. Mix of people is great. Very tolerant. Currently just in Gothenburg which is ok. Probably rather spend more time in Stockholm

Iceland is my next big trip i reckon, have heard so many good things about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back