European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how Bayern/Real/Barca fans would go not winning every game and a title each year.

Part of me wishes the big clubs would hurry up and sort it out. I don't watch or care about the UCL and prefer the smaller euro comps. A lot more fun watching West Ham and Fiorentina trying to win a title for the first time in decades than someone doing a treble.

They clearly wanted permanent membership but faced pushback. The proposed system could be a Trojan Horse to bring that in down the track.

The promotion and relegation system could lead to some anomalies. A team could stay in the Super League but be relegated in their domestic league. It's proposed that the bottom 20 clubs drop out of the Super League each season. How do you work out which clubs from 50 domestic leagues replace them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the changes to the champions league I'm not sure if there is going to be too much difference between that and a proposed super league.

Hobsons choice between one set of arseholes running the comp and another set of arseholes wanting to run a different comp.

With the changes to the champions league I'm not sure if there is going to be too much difference between that and a proposed super league.

One big difference is the qualification process.

For the Champions League you have to finish near the top of your domestic league (or win the CL or EL).

For the Super League it's proposed that if you do OK in that comp but have a shithouse season at home but you keep your place. For example, Leicester came very close to CL qualification in 20-21 but got relegated two seasons later. They could have been playing in the Super League while also playing in the Championship.

There's also 3 tiers in the Super League - Star League, Gold League and Blue League. Only the 16 teams in the 'Star League' compete for the trophy. If Newcastle had won the PL last season they would have gone into the meh Blue League. While Chelsea, QF in CL but 12th in PL would have kept their place in the Star League.

Like I said, I reckon the proposed system for the Super League is a Trojan Horse for later switching it to permanent membership of clubs based on financials and politics rather than sporting merit.

Back