Movies & TV Everything Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say, TLJ was so good that it survived a backlash that could cripple a film.

Difficult call but if i was kathleen id be tapping Feige on the shoulder and using him as a resource of how to structure things going forward.

At the moment they are killing themselves by not branching out from established times/characters/stories but on the same hand are butchering the nostalgia and feelings existing fans had for those things.

Marvel are treading a brilliant line of staying consistent with their story all the way through. They have threads for stories that people want to follow. They are also treating the comic stories as reference points but are then adapting them well. They arent shitting on stories comic fans like but they reference them enough that comic fans still enjoy a fresh take.
Feige would at least be able to offer guidance on how that can work.

Edit- an example of shitting on a story line or character.
Fans have dreamt for years about the stories of luke the Jedi knight. Hell they had them until they were discarded. Which is ok because extended universe was not consistent.
But then you bring him back for 12 seconds in the first film (kill off the chance of a reunion with Han) and then you make him a broken defeated mess who dies alone in exile.
That is a kick in the guts no matter which way you put it.

As someone who's very much on the casual side of Star Wars fandom, they really need to hurry up and get away from all the connections to the original trilogy. Continuing on from that for the new trilogy was always going to cause a bunch of problems imo. It all just seems to bogged down and narrow when it's supposed to be some huge, expansive universe but we only ever get referred to such a narrow part of it all. It's just constantly "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?".

Even the movie where they kinda try to focus on people you've never heard of (Rogue One) is just a story in the time line based off one of the biggest "HEY, REMEMBER THIS? Check out all this s**t from all those great movies you remember! Oh wait, here's Vader, you remember Vader? and AT-AT's?"

Supposedly there's tons of lore to work off from all the s**t over the years that they surely could pull an original story from.

As someone who's very much on the casual side of Star Wars fandom, they really need to hurry up and get away from all the connections to the original trilogy. Continuing on from that for the new trilogy was always going to cause a bunch of problems imo. It all just seems to bogged down and narrow when it's supposed to be some huge, expansive universe but we only ever get referred to such a narrow part of it all. It's just constantly "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?".

Even the movie where they kinda try to focus on people you've never heard of (Rogue One) is just a story in the time line based off one of the biggest "HEY, REMEMBER THIS? Check out all this s**t from all those great movies you remember! Oh wait, here's Vader, you remember Vader? and AT-AT's?"

Supposedly there's tons of lore to work off from all the s**t over the years that they surely could pull an original story from.
I know what you mean but as one of those more than casual Star Wars fans from way back when, it's nice to have those touchstones although they could be a lot more subtle about it. For example, I don't gaf if nobody says 'I've got a bad feeling about this' at some point.

yeh! I mean why keep bringing back that old hunk of junk spaceship?

you don't see people dusting off old kingswoods when they can buy a new commodore with mod cons, do ya!

no realism :p

the falcon wouldn't have passed Julias cash for clunkers scheme..no way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you mean but as one of those more than casual Star Wars fans from way back when, it's nice to have those touchstones although they could be a lot more subtle about it. For example, I don't gaf if nobody says 'I've got a bad feeling about this' at some point.
I guess it's okay with the mainline films but the side stuff has to go somewhere else. I think I read they've got a Boba Fett standalone in the works? Who needs that s**t? Isn't his whole gimmick (kinda disregarding the prequel stuff) that he's some cool, mysterious bounty hunter dude? Do we need 120 minutes of him expanding his character and delving into who he is and ruining that, because you can't live up to what everyones idea of what he is they've dreamed up in their head for 40 years, it's just gonna bomb again.

I guess it's okay with the mainline films but the side stuff has to go somewhere else. I think I read they've got a Boba Fett standalone in the works? Who needs that s**t? Isn't his whole gimmick (kinda disregarding the prequel stuff) that he's some cool, mysterious bounty hunter dude? Do we need 120 minutes of him expanding his character and delving into who he is and ruining that, because you can't live up to what everyones idea of what he is they've dreamed up in their head for 40 years, it's just gonna bomb again.

think they already expanded on him in the prequels

the whole clone jango fett thing

enough was enough.

think they already expanded on him in the prequels

the whole clone jango fett thing

enough was enough.
Nah, we need more, maybe he had a family and we can see a really romantic love story that ends in tears when he couldn't save his wife (who just happens to be some off brand character that was mentioned in passing during the original trilogy) and kids and that made him turn into a grizzled bounty hunter.

Personally I'd love to see a world where there are only strong amazonian women who can fight like devils, fend for themselves and no men exist.
Then due to an extraordinary set of circumstances a jedi and sith appear on their planet fighting bringing a greater war to their world.
Then one of them can leave the world and go on a crusade in order............wait.

Just give us more Boba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back