Opinion Expectations 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just a boneheaded tactic.

The game is built on pressure. Pressure and the teams that apply the most pressure, win. This goes against that.

It's so dumb it's beyond words.
Geelong and Sydney don't back off the mark 1 inch. In fact both teams aggressively man the mark, ready to charge as soon a play on is called.

Its creates the right mental attitude to the game, accountability, rather the backing off, guarding nothing but space.

In my view it absolutely killed us last year and all the stats backed it up, most coast to coast goals etc...

If English is out and we expect to go with Lobb as first ruck, with or without support - well we’re gonna have a bad time. Lobbs not a ruck
I don’t watch a heap of Freo. He can at least compete in an emergency can’t he? Is he any worse than English on an off day?

I think we saw last year exactly what Bevo thinks of sweet.

If English is out and we expect to go with Lobb as first ruck, with or without support - well we’re gonna have a bad time. Lobbs not a ruck

Sweet in the ruck doing competent tap work and Lobb remaining forward is a whole lot better than Lobb in the ruck and a broken-down Bruce or skinny Darcy up forward.

I don’t watch a heap of Freo. He can at least compete in an emergency can’t he? Is he any worse than English on an off day?

I think we saw last year exactly what Bevo thinks of sweet.
I’d say he’s one of the best back ups out of any genuine forward in the comp, but there’s not exactly much competition. Most back ups are genuine ruckmen who can’t play forward but are in the team as a back up ruck or genuine forwards who can’t ruck at all but run through there for 5 mins a qtr as a chop out etc. I’d say he falls in the latter category, but due to sheer size is more competent in the ruck than just about any other forward.

But still it’s a huge ask to go from back up minutes mostly against back up ruckmen to holding down first ruck all day with only a chop out from an even worse fwd/ruck like Bruce.

If English goes down mid game then sure he’d be a very handy EMG option but if he’s out for an extended period surely the best option would be bring Sweet in as first ruck and Lobbs role doesn’t change - putting Lobb to first ruck would leave us very worse off in the middle with the flow on effect of killing our forward structure once again IMO.

But yes you’re right it’s probably the way Bevo would go

Geelong and Sydney don't back off the mark 1 inch. In fact both teams aggressively man the mark, ready to charge as soon a play on is called.

Its creates the right mental attitude to the game, accountability, rather the backing off, guarding nothing but space.

In my view it absolutely killed us last year and all the stats backed it up, most coast to coast goals etc...

Collingwood backed off the mark but not with a complete disregard of context. They also had players sliding in behind and would then look to counter attack from half back, unlike the bulldogs who backed off the mark and pressed high.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood backed off the mark but not with a complete disregard of context. They also had players sliding in behind and would then look to counter attack from half back, unlike the bulldogs who backed off the mark and pressed high.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe Bev should double down - instruct English/Lobb/Sweet to back off the ruck contest so they can guard more space!!

I think dogs will be comfortably in the top 8 this year but don't see a top 4 finish. Maybe 5th or 6th. Not in the struggle town of finishing 8th on the last game.

My expectations couldn’t be any lower. Hope I’m wrong but I think we’re miles away from competing for a flag. Mentally and physically weak.

I think we've sorted out some off-field issues. Dunkley didn't want to be there and there didn't seem to be much love lost between him and the boys. Hunter had some major issues going on. I think those two being gone could lead to a decent shift in the team vibe.

I think we've sorted out some off-field issues. Dunkley didn't want to be there and there didn't seem to be much love lost between him and the boys. Hunter had some major issues going on. I think those two being gone could lead to a decent shift in the team vibe.

Not sure two people make that much of an impact. Just hoping for a more sensible selection/structure next year. I'd like our coaches to have a best 22 and best structure figured out by round 1 and try to stick with it as much they can injuries and form permitted.

My expectations couldn’t be any lower. Hope I’m wrong but I think we’re miles away from competing for a flag. Mentally and physically weak.

Justifiably low expectations for our ability to compete, after rolling over in our last two finals and a number of games in between.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will need to temper expectations on Darcy next year. He is going through another growth spurt and is quickly closing in on being the tallest afl listed player. Will start on a modified program.
Wtf 😳 😂

Hard to even imagine where he ends up at this rate. For most players you wouldn’t really even want them this tall as generally KPP that big have too many weaknesses to be genuine stars

But considering how well he’s already fitted in at the level coming off literally zero base, and his mobility, genuine vice grip hands and footskills - if he ends up 210cm+ it’s hard to see how he doesn’t become the best forward in the AFL by quite a margin to be completely honest

That’s incredible if he’s really still growing, he is a ridiculous prospect

Wtf 😳 😂

Hard to even imagine where he ends up at this rate. For most players you wouldn’t really even want them this tall as generally KPP that big have too many weaknesses to be genuine stars

But considering how well he’s already fitted in at the level coming off literally zero base, and his mobility, genuine vice grip hands and footskills - if he ends up 210cm+ it’s hard to see how he doesn’t become the best forward in the AFL by quite a margin to be completely honest

That’s incredible if he’s really still growing, he is a ridiculous prospect
A member of his immediate family told me that he is 211cm as of last week.

A member of his immediate family told me that he is 211cm as of last week.
That is wild, definitely need to take it easy with him - makes the concerns on getting Lobb by a few people surely go away.

Man sit him at full forward clear out the forward line, play Marra traditional CHF and Naughty up the ground and let Darce kick 100. He will be unstoppable.

At the rate we're drafting/recruiting giants, Bruce and JUH will be played as small forwards. Croft jnr next in line. Does Peter Street have son/s? If he does, with the height differential between father/sons of recent times, they'd be in the 220-230 range!

We will need to temper expectations on Darcy next year. He is going through another growth spurt and is quickly closing in on being the tallest afl listed player. Will start on a modified program.

I hope we are doing the same with Daniel, but the opposite.

So Darcy will be the same height as Mason Cox!!

He has a full pre season to get used to the extra 1.5cm, he should be fine.

Not sure about that. I reckon he’ll misjudge a lot of marks because he will have grown so much between the time it was kicked and the time it reaches him.

Doesn't look like he has stopped
Not sure about that. I reckon he’ll misjudge a lot of marks because he will have grown so much between the time it was kicked and the time it reaches him.
The rate he is growing it certainly feels that way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back