Opinion Expectations 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are a lot more balanced. Lets face it if we had to lose a best 22 player let it be a midfielder.

Yeah we made a big deal about Dunkley winning a B&F, but that was for trading purposesšŸ˜‰. As good as he was, he is not a patch on the Bont, who had an injury interrupted year, Libba our teams spiritual leader, McCrae, Smith, Treloar all can cover for Dunks. I am more concerned about the wing, and covering for Hunter, hoping someone can step up.

I am excited about Lobb/English, Jonsey/Keith/Gardener, Darcy/ Marra/Naughty and McLean back in the side. Hoping Bruce shows some form, and Gallagher and Clarke get some early games.

Lots to get excited about, oh and death riding Brisbaneā€˜s draft pick all year.

There are 22 Dogs players who'll be 25 or younger at the start of the season.

FB: Khamis, Gardner, Gallagher
HB: Cleary, Busslinger, Richards
C: Williams, Smith, Bedendo
HF: Vandermeer, JUH, Darcy
FF: Weightman, Naughton, Clarke
R: English, West, Garcia
IC: Jones, McNeil, Sweet, Raak

That's a really nice back line, a good forward line, and a bit of talent in the midfield. I'm all on board with drafting mids in the first round next year to shore that up, but I think we're in decent shape going into the future. Having this young core surrounded by the elite 26-30 talent on the list, I think we're well placed to make a run at the flag.

Just to expand on this - let's bring in four players who are 26/27, have a good five years more footy left in them, and have all signed long-term contracts. Bont, Macrae, Daniel, and Dale, all of whom I expect will play with us until the end of their careers.

FB: Khamis, Gardner, Richards
HB: Cleary, Busslinger, Daniel
C: Williams, Smith, Dale
R: English, Bont, Macrae
IC: Gallagher, Bedendo, West, Garcia

Even if we brought no new players in, this could be our lineup for years. It looks pretty bloody strong to me, and that's not including all our future draft picks.

All i want is to finish above Brisbane on the table. Can't say i expect it to happen though unfortunately.

Just to expand on this - let's bring in four players who are 26/27, have a good five years more footy left in them, and have all signed long-term contracts. Bont, Macrae, Daniel, and Dale, all of whom I expect will play with us until the end of their careers.

FB: Khamis, Gardner, Richards
HB: Cleary, Busslinger, Daniel
C: Williams, Smith, Dale
R: English, Bont, Macrae
IC: Gallagher, Bedendo, West, Garcia

Even if we brought no new players in, this could be our lineup for years. It looks pretty bloody strong to me, and that's not including all our future draft picks.

Agree with your sentiment, but there would be teams with strong key forwards would be licking their lips looking at that defence. Weā€™ll need to replace Jones/Keath with a 200cm competent 1v1 defender ASAP.

If Clarke is a good small forward we have the makings of a good settled forward line for a long time.

Letā€™s put the hazing, rat pack, drinking, drugs, girls and fast cars behind us and concentrate on a commitment within the player group

To be honest - Iā€™m personally not prepared to make this commitment.

If this is required, Iā€™m quitting the forum too!

033c8202d3f2bea8228089afbb249f93
Is that the greatest banner ever?

I have a good feeling about this group. Lobb and Jones will make a difference to our look and capability and Bruce down back may surprise. Darcy and JUH will only be better with another pre-season. If we have a good run with injuries, I think we will give it a real shake this year.

More quality depth at both ends with Jones and Lobb. Keath and Bruce to significantly improve and with Marra, Smith, west, Weightman all reaching a new level i expect top 2 or top 4 at a minumum. I also expect Bont and Macrae back to AA forms. No excuses for Bevo this year. Peter Rohde would be able to coach this team to a top 6 finish. Our time is now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see who misses out if we go with 3 KPDs and whether the sub has any impact on how we use Darcy (whether as sub, or knowing we can sub a tall out for run if needed).
I think itā€™ll be Gardner round one, especially with Darcy supposedly on a light program and Keathā€™s supposed fitness makes things interesting too with Jones a lock youā€™d think but yeah itā€™ll be interesting if Darcy forces his way in with form early which I think he will. If Gardner finds himself out of the side and as a genuine back up that means weā€™re in great shape and a far cry from where we were last year. Thatā€™s before taking into account Buss who may even get some games at some point.

Even with the sub I donā€™t think Iā€™d like to see more than 3 talls at either end & English to be honest - itā€™s a really good mix and more than enough whilst still having some flexibility to move talls around if needed

I think itā€™ll be Gardner round one, especially with Darcy supposedly on a light program and Keathā€™s supposed fitness makes things interesting too with Jones a lock youā€™d think but yeah itā€™ll be interesting if Darcy forces his way in with form early which I think he will. If Gardner finds himself out of the side and as a genuine back up that means weā€™re in great shape and a far cry from where we were last year. Thatā€™s before taking into account Buss who may even get some games at some point.

Even with the sub I donā€™t think Iā€™d like to see more than 3 talls at either end & English to be honest - itā€™s a really good mix and more than enough whilst still having some flexibility to move talls around if needed

I think Gardner and Jones are the locks down there. Gardnerā€™s last 10 weeks of the season were good and I think heā€™d be suited to playing next to Jones. That leaves Keath, Darcy and (apparently) Bruce. Having multiple genuine KPD options is an odd proposition.

Jones is massive for Darcy down back as it will let him float and get comfortable. Sam de Koning was solid without being spectacular last year yet looked so much better because of the established guys around him.

Gardner was 7th in the B&F count and was our best KPD by a comfortable margin this season. Heā€™s not a depth player any more.
He had a pretty solid season but there's could be every chance he becomes a depth player. I think we'll only carry two of Jones, Keath & Gardner through most games. There's a chance that Jones & Keath never regain their previous form though. That's also not including Darcy or Bruce who could be floating through there.

Gardner was 7th in the B&F count and was our best KPD by a comfortable margin this season. Heā€™s not a depth player any more.
He was good, and itā€™s not a dig at him but being our best KPD last year doesnā€™t mean much to be honest. If Keath and Jones both find their best theyā€™re just better players with Darcy coming quickly too.

Of course Jones and Keath may not find their best and Darcy might struggle - who knows at this point. But if they all do play at their best - Gardners back up. Which is a good thing as it means our backline is going very well.

As much as he improved, ideally weā€™re getting our backline to a level where Gardners depth - as he would be in pretty much all of the best defences around the league.

If you look at all the top 8 teams not including us on the ladder last year, the only teams where he might be a starter round 1 this year if theyā€™re all fully fit would be Geelong/Pies (very debatable whether theyā€™d go Gardner over Henry/Murphy) and Blues (unlikely as I think all of McGovern/Young & Weitering would play over him.

Thatā€™s where we need to get to, no harm in him being depth heā€™d be a terrific first call back up defender.

Last edited:
I think Gardner and Jones are the locks down there. Gardnerā€™s last 10 weeks of the season were good and I think heā€™d be suited to playing next to Jones. That leaves Keath, Darcy and (apparently) Bruce. Having multiple genuine KPD options is an odd proposition.
If weā€™re playing Jones and Gardner Iā€™d like the third tall to have some attack/rebound intent.

If weā€™re playing Jones and Gardner Iā€™d like the third tall to have some attack/rebound intent.
Either rebound or a genuine intercepting threat (ideally both but Iā€™ll take one šŸ˜…) - I get the feeling Keath is aiming for this role change, he looks super slimmed down when weā€™ve pretty much been bulking him up ever since he got here to play FB.

Iā€™m praying Jones finds his best - if he does even if itā€™s only for a year or two max I honestly donā€™t think thereā€™s a better inclusion for any team, not just with what heā€™s personally bringing on the field but the flow on effect that a fit and firing Jones would have to Gardner, Keath and even Darcy is just massive. Each of those guys will get a huge boost moving into more suitable roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back