Opinion Expectations 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon a few are being forgotten in this KPD selection discussion. In particular, Khamis looked really good at times last year and has the best scope for growth with another preseason.

Also, Buss was widely regarded as the best tall defender in the draft and must be some chance to hit the ground running Naughton style.

I reckon we have 10 options as tall defenders come R1 (not even counting Naughton who surely stays forward), with 3 making it.

In order of probability, I'd rank them Gardner, Jones, Keath, Darcy, Khamis, Busslinger, Bruce, Cleary, O'Brien, Raak.

Plenty of combinations and playing styles there The preseason should be a fun watch.

Reckon a few are being forgotten in this KPD selection discussion. In particular, Khamis looked really good at times last year and has the best scope for growth with another preseason.

Also, Buss was widely regarded as the best tall defender in the draft and must be some chance to hit the ground running Naughton style.

I reckon we have 10 options as tall defenders come R1 (not even counting Naughton who surely stays forward), with 3 making it.

In order of probability, I'd rank them Gardner, Jones, Keath, Darcy, Khamis, Busslinger, Bruce, Cleary, O'Brien, Raak.

Plenty of combinations and playing styles there The preseason should be a fun watch.

I think Buss will play a fair amount this year, but he won’t be in full training until mid January, so I wouldn’t say a big early impact. Ideally though he could play a role similar to Gibcus did at Richmond this year, a first-year intercepting tall who played his role and did well.

Gardner was 7th in the B&F count and was our best KPD by a comfortable margin this season. He’s not a depth player any more.
Kudos to Gardner for his performance last year and long may he continue . But saying he was “our best KPD by a comfortable margin” is a bit like saying I’m the best looking guy in my family to be honest. Not exactly Hemsworth level competition.

I think Buss will play a fair amount this year, but he won’t be in full training until mid January, so I wouldn’t say a big early impact. Ideally though he could play a role similar to Gibcus did at Richmond this year, a first-year intercepting tall who played his role and did well.

I can’t recall too many KP draftees as painfully thin as Busslinger playing much footy. Even blokes like Gibcus had a fair bit more meat on them.

I have a good feeling about this group. Lobb and Jones will make a difference to our look and capability and Bruce down back may surprise. Darcy and JUH will only be better with another pre-season. If we have a good run with injuries, I think we will give it a real shake this year.
Has it been mentioned that Bruce will be playing down back?

I can’t recall too many KP draftees as painfully thin as Busslinger playing much footy. Even blokes like Gibcus had a fair bit more meat on them.
Gibcus was pretty rail thin but could bounce like a pogo stick.

In all seriousness, if he can make it as a decent full back. That would be absolutely massive for us.

I think we're a better side going into next year so expect a top 4 finish for the following reasons

• Another decent key back in Jones to work in tandem with a fully fit Keath
  • English finally having a ruck partner who can push forward - No Dunkley, Bruce or Cordy as back up
  • Another full pre season for Naughton
  • A full pre season into Sam Darcy
  • Full pre season for McLean (Remember that guy who dominated in his come back game for first half against freo?)
  • Another full preseason for Jamarra
  • No Lachie Hunter disruptions
  • A full pre season into Bruce
  • No extra mid needed to play half back and can play their actual position ie Treloar last season

Whilst it may seem like losing Dunkley & Hunter is a big deal it's something we can easily overcome and we've gone and filled the gaps needed with Lobb & Jones.. It's top 4 or bust and i fully expect us to push hard this season

I think we're a better side going into next year so expect a top 4 finish for the following reasons

• Another decent key back in Jones to work in tandem with a fully fit Keath
  • English finally having a ruck partner who can push forward - No Dunkley, Bruce or Cordy as back up
  • Another full pre season for Naughton
  • A full pre season into Sam Darcy
  • Full pre season for McLean (Remember that guy who dominated in his come back game for first half against freo?)
  • Another full preseason for Jamarra
  • No Lachie Hunter disruptions
  • A full pre season into Bruce
  • No extra mid needed to play half back and can play their actual position ie Treloar last season

Whilst it may seem like losing Dunkley & Hunter is a big deal it's something we can easily overcome and we've gone and filled the gaps needed with Lobb & Jones.. It's top 4 or bust and i fully expect us to push hard this season
I took out of that the last two bullets:
  • No Lachie Hunter
  • Treloar back where he should be
👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glass half-empty about season 2023. Excluding expected improvement from individual players, I think our list got a lot worse.
I have no confidence in Jones after having year out of the game and I don't really think Lobb is a need (I want an actual ruckman, not 2 part-timers).

Losing Dunkley will be massive as he did a lot of the stuff the rest of our midfield refuses to do, so much grunt work will fall to Libba now.

And losing Hunter will hurt as well, for all his faults he was always picked when available and provided a hard running outlet and someone who would get back and take up space in defence. We struggled to find another winger last year, now we need 2 of them

I cannot remember the dogs with such a strong line up of talls. Probably only 6 play at any one time but depth is good.

Naughton
Jones
English
Lobb
JUH
Darcy

Keath
Bruce
Sweet
Kharmis
O"Brien

I hope La Nina is not around for the non-roof games.

I cannot remember the dogs with such a strong line up of talls. Probably only 6 play at any one time but depth is good.

Naughton
Jones
English
Lobb
JUH
Darcy

Keath
Bruce
Sweet
Kharmis
O"Brien

There's a bloke too who finished 7th in our B&F this year...

Interesting reading through phantom ladders on the main board.

Most have us finishing around 10th.

I think this year was very poor, so would expect an improvement, especially with our list changes.

Interesting reading through phantom ladders on the main board.

Most have us finishing around 10th.

I think this year was very poor, so would expect an improvement, especially with our list changes.
Yeah that’s my view too. We finished 8th after what was a very poor season. A slight improvement should see us solidify our spot in the 8 and a real spike should see us top 4. In my view there are question marks over all teams who finished in the 8, with Geelong and Melbourne really the only ones I think you can bank on being top 4.

Naughton
Jones
English
Lobb
JUH
Darcy

Keath
Bruce
Sweet
Kharmis
O"Brien

I actually wonder if we might play an extra tall this year. With ToG% adjustments you really only average 6 (see 6.2 below) on the ground at a time (incl. ruck) if selecting 7 (incl. ruck).

The below splits out the TOG% for our main KPPs (ignoring Sweet, Khamis and O'Brien). I've used 2021 data for Bruce and Jones. Lobb probably overstated as I think his level at Fremantle was sub-optimal but required due to their forward structure, but offset by Jamarra who will increase ToG %this year.

Talls.PNG

You can see in the scenario where Darcy is also selected you get up to genuinely averaging 7 talls on ground at all times. The tactical sub rule makes this a little more palatable as well in case you realise at half time you've gone in too tall. My main questions though are:
  • There will definitely be teams where we only want to have 2 genuine KPDs and none of the options above can really play below their height. Perhaps in that scenario Bruce takes the Utility role splitting time between forward (when Lobb moves into the ruck) and the backline.
  • Even with reasonable mobility, if you always have 3 genuine KPFs then can Bont spend meaningful minutes resting there? Of course you prefer him in the midfield but realistically he'll be banged up at stages through the season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back