Live Event 2023 Brownlow medal live chat

Who wins the Brownlow

• The Bont wins

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Someone undeserving and not called "The Bont" wins

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Select a panel. Take the votes off the umpires. They have enough on their plate as it is.
While they are at it they should take the umpiring off the umpires too. Just get them to bounce the ball and wave flags.

I find it strange that Bontempelli has been a golden child from day 1 yet frequently gets shafted in these kind of awards. Between this, the 2021 Brownlow, the 2014 Rising Star and even the 2014 GOTY he's a regular bridesmaid despite being, in my humble opinion, far and away the best player in the competition and would have been a deserved winner of all of them.

The whole thing is depressing to be honest.

2021 just repeats itself- the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce.

Very legitimate award..

With hardly any exceptions all of those players play footy right under the noses of the umpires. It's ludicrous that being an in and under player wins you a Brownlow. In the last decade or so we've had Priddis, T.Mitchell, Wines, Cripps and Neale win Brownlows - and look at how well Viney polled when he had nowhere near the season Petracca had. Neale gets it 20 times and advances it 150m for 3 votes when Cameron kicks seven. Seven!! I mean ffs, what the hell is happening.

The hope is that this continues to the point that the public and the footy industry at large stop putting any value in it, because it's completely flawed. It is also just baffling that the umpires can see the game like this when they are so far away from the general consensus. Maybe if they released the votes after each round they'd get some harsh feedback and sort their s**t out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just as incompetent at everything on their plate. Yet somehow, AFLW umpires are even worse.
Contrived outcomes across the board from AFL HQ.

The entire umpire department needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, especially moving forward with more games from Tassie coming in and likely a 20th team sometime in the 2030s, along with more AFLW games and the likelihood of both competitions running concurrently in the future.

There needs to be a central group of umpires that any of the senior competitions can draw from. I also believe the AFL should release a weekly rundown of each game with correct and incorrect umpiring decisions.

What an absolute robbery
Yet we were all resigned to it as we saw the AFL stage manage the order of votes in the last round and we mouthed L Neale before Gil.
It really is a deeply flawed system in a deeply flawed, and at times amateurish, competition.
Not sure what you need to do to get a few of those surprise, unexpected votes that get you over the top, but we sure ain’t doing it.

While they are at it they should take the umpiring off the umpires too. Just get them to bounce the ball and wave flags.
Use Artificial Intelligence to officiate the game..... although some might say that any intelligence umpires have is artificial anyway.

No matter what happened, I’m just so glad I get to see Bont play for the team I support.

He’s the best player in the league, to be able to watch him in the Red, White and Blue week after week is a privilege.
This. I'm so grateful that he is our captain, our superstar, instead of being envious of other teams.

Absolutely they know in advance.

You think Brisbane being last game read was a coincidence?

By the last round or two, you can tell who is in the hunt. Even if Neale wasn't likely to vote he'd have been read last in that situation.

The post I was referring to was why Dogs games were being read later in about R14 or R15.

This. I'm so grateful that he is our captain, our superstar, instead of being envious of other teams.
Yeah I'd far rather have a Brownlowless Bont playing for my side than any of Wines, Neale, Mitchell or Cripps. Or anyone else in the comp for that matter. The Brownlow doesn't define how ridiculously good he is.

Absolutely they know in advance.

You think Brisbane being last game read was a coincidence?

Gil even said before he read the last round of votes something like "it's a good one, I promise".

They read them in order of excitement, that's fine. If they didn't screw up the actual voting I wouldn't care if they asked a circus performer to pull the voting cards from an orifice, as long as the winner was actually one of the best few players in the comp that year.

Wines, Cripps, Neale. A murderer's row of inside players who are admittedly good at what they do, but have way less of a bearing on the outcome of a game than the attacking mids who do it all. It's pathetic.

Back