Game Day LIVE - AFL 2023 Draftwatch for the WB

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, he's an interesting one. Assuming nobody else drafted him today he's still there but we've chosen to leave him undrafted so far. I read that a couple of clubs were interested in him. As were we.

That means there's a risk he could be picked up by someone else before our next dip (MSD or whatever).

We would know him well because he trained at VUWO, played for Footscray and was also one of our NGA players I think. So it seems we don't rate him highly enough in any area of need for the list. Perhaps he's next cab off the rank for us but we're holding fire in case a better option pops up?

Similar questions surround Lachie Sullivan. Did anyone draft him as a rookie? Does he offer us anything we haven't already got? He appeared to outperform most of the similar types from the senior list when they were playing alongside him in the VFL last year but I guess he hasn't got a ceiling any higher than that.
No Lachie Sullivan didn’t get drafted

They were never committed to redrafting him.
Yeah the wording in the press release about it was "Daniel McKenzie has today been informed that he will not receive a senior playing contract for 2024, however remains a chance to be redrafted in the coming months."

Very different to what we said about Duryea and McNeil: "The Western Bulldogs have committed to re-drafting pair Taylor Duryea and Lachie McNeil in the upcoming draft period after both were delisted today."

On McNeil, I just checked his stats for 2023. He played 13 games, incl. 8 as sub, but appears very lucky to have received a 2nd chance based on output alone which were surprisingly poor for a player to have been given a run in more than half our games (including just 2 goals for the season):
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2023​
13*​
2.1​
4.0​
6.2​
0.9​
0.1​
0.3​
2.3​
0​
0.2​
0.1​
0.1​
1.0​
0.5​
0.5​
0​

On McNeil, I just checked his stats for 2023. He played 13 games, incl. 8 as sub, but appears very lucky to have received a 2nd chance based on output alone which were surprisingly poor for a player to have been given a run in more than half our games (including just 2 goals for the season):
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2023​
13*​
2.1​
4.0​
6.2​
0.9​
0.1​
0.3​
2.3​
0​
0.2​
0.1​
0.1​
1.0​
0.5​
0.5​
0​
Yes the sub games are a pain for statistical analysis. It'd be easier to analyse his averages if they separated full games from games played as sub. Or better still if they published all the averages per ToG%, rather than per game.

As it stands his averages look pretty shabby but if allowing for much lower ToG% he only played the equivalent of say 7 full games instead of 13 then he's in fact averaging 11-12 disposals a game and about 4.5 tackles. Still not great but almost OK for a pressure forward or whatever role he was supposed to be playing.

And to be fair we should also look at pressure acts. The defenders of Arty - even after a zero disposal game - are quick to point out how many pressure acts he performs. These two players fit into a similar niche on the list.

Yes the sub games are a pain for statistical analysis. It'd be easier to analyse his averages if they separated full games from games played as sub. Or better still if they published all the averages per ToG%, rather than per game.

As it stands his averages look pretty shabby but if allowing for much lower ToG% he only played the equivalent of say 7 full games instead of 13 then he's in fact averaging 11-12 disposals a game and about 4.5 tackles. Still not great but almost OK for a pressure forward or whatever role he was supposed to be playing.

And to be fair we should also look at pressure acts. The defenders of Arty - even after a zero disposal game - are quick to point out how many pressure acts he performs. These two players fit into a similar niche on the list.

McNeil: 41% TOG, just under 11 pressure acts

I’ve been somewhat a supporter of McNeil to be honest. Basically to make it in his role he only needs to be around the 1 goal/10 touches/4 tackle/15 PA mark. That would be playing his role to perfection really, and for the most part he’s been avging around that level.

I lost interest in him this year mainly because he made too many mistakes. The amount of times he missed a crucial goal from directly in front this season I just couldn’t hack it, there was one in particular after he came on as sub and missed a soda and I basically would have delisted him on the spot.

He’s not the only one that misses easy goals but when his impact is that low already he just has to take those chances and not fluff the easy goal, the easy kick inside 50, the dropped mark etc. and he does these things on wayyyy too many occassions.

I have no issues with a low impact role player who does their job consistently, super important part of the side. But yeah you just can’t avg that statline & also have a negative influence on a game on too many occassions.

In short, he’s just not good enough and we’d have to be in a mighty bad spot injury wise for him to get a game IMO

I’ve been somewhat a supporter of McNeil to be honest. Basically to make it in his role he only needs to be around the 1 goal/10 touches/4 tackle/15 PA mark. That would be playing his role to perfection really, and for the most part he’s been avging around that level.

I lost interest in him this year mainly because he made too many mistakes. The amount of times he missed a crucial goal from directly in front this season I just couldn’t hack it, there was one in particular after he came on as sub and missed a soda and I basically would have delisted him on the spot.

He’s not the only one that misses easy goals but when his impact is that low already he just has to take those chances and not fluff the easy goal, the easy kick inside 50, the dropped mark etc. and he does these things on wayyyy too many occassions.

I have no issues with a low impact role player who does their job consistently, super important part of the side. But yeah you just can’t avg that statline & also have a negative influence on a game on too many occassions.

In short, he’s just not good enough and we’d have to be in a mighty bad spot injury wise for him to get a game IMO
100% This,

The miss in the 1st Geelong game is seared into my brain, Yes Bont also missed a similar sitter at a similar time but Bont obviously makes up for it with what else he does

Great for GC getting four first round talents cheap. We have been lucky ourselves with Jamarra and F/S. I think the rule should be changed though. To much compromises other teams. I think clubs should only be able to match two players per round or at least in first round. GC would still have got Walter and Read but missed Rogers, and Graham. Still a good draft and rewards them for developing players but more fair imo.
As for NGA like Laul I think clubs should be only not able to match if there player goes first round.

I hope next year that this farce of not being allowed to match bids on your own NGA players until after pick 40 is given the flick. What a stupid ridiculous idea. Is Bozo the Clown in charge of AFL stupid ideas Department? Fair dinkum what a joke.
To be fair, if it was Bozo the Clown in charge of the AFL Stupid Ideas Department, the end result would be good ideas... ;)

Just watched all the clips of Sanders i could find. Thought I was watching Rylee West. We mustn’t have much faith that West is going to be the Libba in and under replacement.
At pick 5 you take the best player available, i wouldn't read much into that. West has a 5(?) year head start on Sanders so he should be in line for Libba relief minutes before Sanders but who knows

I haven’t seen Bramble play so know nothing about him. My unexcitment about him is probably due to the Tim O’Brien experience.
I was wondering if there is a consensus among the dedicated draft watchers of “the best player to go undrafted” this year?

I haven’t seen Bramble play so know nothing about him. My unexcitment about him is probably due to the Tim O’Brien experience.
I was wondering if there is a consensus among the dedicated draft watchers of “the best player to go undrafted” this year?

Probably Koen Sanchez

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
There were alot overlooked including three I was high on in Will Patton, Jack Callinan and Koen Sanchez, all three hopefully dominate as over agers and get picked up mid year. Also overlooked who I thought were draftable were Tarkyn O'Leary, Kade De La Rue and Kristian Ferronato.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back