Live Event 2023 Brownlow medal live chat

Who wins the Brownlow

• The Bont wins

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Someone undeserving and not called "The Bont" wins

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How Tim English got 3 votes in round 7 is mind boggling too. 11 touches, a goal, 30 hitouts v. Ned Reeves, 15 touches and 43 hit outs who got none.

Not fully excusing it, but I remember the first Hawks game pretty well.

Reeves was killing it early on and Hawks were dominating clearances, but 2nd half Timmy lifted and the game swung back in our favour.

The stats don’t look wildly impressive, but I can see why the umpires thought he had influenced the game enough.

It’s not like a 7 kick, 13 handball game with limited scoreboard influence and only a few clearances that stands out as being a 300 SuperCoach score like Neale in round 6 though

It’s not Neal’s fault he got the votes at the end of the day.

Kudos to him.

It partly is. He should have called Bont up and handed the medal to him, made a Bevo-like speech and then be recognised as more than a foot-note in history that he'll now be as an asterisked 'dual' medallist.

But giving them stats access might just further entrench the stats padders as vote winners. They need to be trained to read past the disposal count.

It’s tricky. The old stats vs eye test argument.
True but it depends on how they use the stats. Let's say they cast votes as they do now and use stats after casting to see if they have made a howler.

If Bont wants to get across the line. He needs to stop having those few week spells where he doesn't poll well, need consistency. Team itself needs to get is s**t together and start actually winning games, and winning them well. Not snooze fest football and barely winning many of our games. Team mates need to better protect Bont from the tag. And lastly, needs to avoid playing well during a season where stat padders are the flavour of the umpires that season.
Carlton missed finals last year yet Cripps won the medal :mad:

True but it depends on how they use the stats. Let's say they cast votes as they do now and use stats after casting to see if they have made a howler.
That's my point. Stats can be very valuable but they need to be used with commonsense and some knowledge of the game.
Show them the pitfalls of simplistic stats reading. No need to replicate the one-dimensional inanity of much of the commentariat in the media, or many in the footy public.

Maybe it would be better to give them access to some of the more insightful stats that aren't normally available to us common folk. The sort that Champion Data come up with (and we get the occasional insight into thanks to OG's contributions:thumbsu:).

An article in the HUN today about how this was the first year umps looking at stats was specifically forbidden.

Apparently it was never acceptable but it was nevertheless done in the past.

This year something about phones being banned in the ump rooms.

Hence it makes sense that they pulled votes out of thin air this year.

An article in the HUN today about how this was the first year umps looking at stats was specifically forbidden.

Apparently it was never acceptable but it was nevertheless done in the past.

This year something about phones being banned in the ump rooms.

Hence it makes sense that they pulled votes out of thin air this year.
Do all the umps (is it 4 of them now?) get together after the game and come to a consensus, or do they draw straws?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says Meatloaf. But he was bad.
Meatloaf did the best star spangled banner of all time.Better than Whitney's. !
.One bad day at a wet Granny.Just wasn't his day that's all.
Wonder if they will ever interview the umpires from the GWS BRISBANE GAME.
Or are they not allowed.JOKE

I would totally overhaul all the awards. The are all done incorrectly as they all award the same players week in week out when its a team game with 22 on the field. I'd like to see Naughton, Jones and Richards actually gets some votes.

I think every player should be ranked for their "value" to the team after each weeks performance from 5 for best to 1 for worst. From there the umpires will look at the "5"s and then give the 3,2 and 1 votes. It would be a longer process for the umpires yet it would hopefully avert some howlers and give more value to all players rather than the stats of onballers.

Eg: a 4 goal, 6 mark game from Naugthon could be judged the same a 25 possession game from Bont. Likewise a 5 intercept and 18 possession at 90% from Richards is ranked the same as Bont.

At the moment its just lazy from all the coaches, umpires, players, media, radio to constantly vote onballers in a team game. Its would require a big change but for me it would be a change for the better.

Currently only 3 onballers from every club start the year with any chance of winning the Brownlow. That's embarrassing in my view.

Back