Game Day LIVE - AFL 2023 Draftwatch for the WB

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems we’ve had a bit of interest in other teams Cat Bs so wouldn’t surprise me if we picked one up here. Hine-Baston could be one, anyone else that we could potentially pick up as cat B (undrafted from another teams academy)

Fair question. I don't see him having a huge upside but if we've promised him a spot (as I understand we have) then I'd rather we kept our word than go for another speculative late/rookie pick. Maintaining our credibility with the playing group is very important.
Come on Geelong. Do us a solid and take him!

With our recent additions it makes me wonder why we are keeping McNeil on.

Well stacked for HFFs.

Played 42 games in 3 years on the list and still only 22. He’s one of our few quicker options. We had enough old plodders to move on before him. McNeil and likely Vandermeer will be in the gun the end of next season, though.

So just to confirm, we won't be picking up anyone new today? Just will re-rookie McSteal and Duryea?

So just to confirm, we won't be picking up anyone new today? Just will re-rookie McSteal and Duryea?

That would be the expectation I think. Our first pick is 10, if we go anyone else it would be at that pick.

Or can a rookie spot be held over until the MSD, or is that only for the primary list?

That would be the expectation I think. Our first pick is 10, if we go anyone else it would be at that pick.

Or can a rookie spot be held over until the MSD, or is that only for the primary list?
Midseason draft and SSP are there to add rookies onto the list, not main list players. They can of course replace main list openings but the players added go onto the Cat A rookie list.

Played 42 games in 3 years on the list and still only 22. He’s one of our few quicker options. We had enough old plodders to move on before him. McNeil and likely Vandermeer will be in the gun the end of next season, though.
He’s not actually quick he just takes a million little steps, gives the illusion of speed.

Riley Bonner back on a list one year after being delisted.

Not fussed we missed Lual. Goes at 57% efficiency by foot which is very poor for someone who is marked to play wing, or come out of defence. I don't think the club were big on him as we made no moves to trade up.

I agree with you that his kicking is a red flag, but I'm not so sure we didn't try to move up.

I noticed as the Essendon trade time clock was running down Dodo was definitely waiting for a call.
When he answered he relayed a message, someone shook their head, he shook his head as he talked, hung up and soon after the pick was in.

It made me wonder 2 things;
Was it us on the phone?
And, that combined with Richmond's late 30s backpedalling makes me think there's more that goes on behind the scenes that we think.

I now assume that Clubs make their selection and let everyone else know who it is.
That then gives the other 17 Clubs the chance of a couple of minutes to work out if they want to trade up.

Imho, it's far too coincidental that 2 teams randomly felt the need to jump into the late 30s to get 'their man', and as I said, Dodo was definitely being offered something for Lual.

It would explain why a room full of 8 professionals who have had weeks to come up with a thousand plans seemingly can't make a decision within 3 minutes.

I agree with you that his kicking is a red flag, but I'm not so sure we didn't try to move up.

I noticed as the Essendon trade time clock was running down Dodo was definitely waiting for a call.
When he answered he relayed a message, someone shook their head, he shook his head as he talked, hung up and soon after the pick was in.

It made me wonder 2 things;
Was it us on the phone?
And, that combined with Richmond's late 30s backpedalling makes me think there's more that goes on behind the scenes that we think.

I now assume that Clubs make their selection and let everyone else know who it is.
That then gives the other 17 Clubs the chance of a couple of minutes to work out if they want to trade up.

Imho, it's far too coincidental that 2 teams randomly felt the need to jump into the late 30s to get 'their man', and as I said, Dodo was definitely being offered something for Lual.

It would explain why a room full of 8 professionals who have had weeks to come up with a thousand plans seemingly can't make a decision within 3 minutes.
I'm going to think it wasn't Dogs calling. We know they rated Freijah highly so it might have been Carlton who were linked with 1 of the 2 of Lual & Jiath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish the AFL were not so cheap. It costs pocket change to at least put graphics on coverage of the rookie draft. Are they picking now? Who is up? Who did they pick?

Feel like I am just watching highlight reels of unknown players.

First pick is redrafting McNeil so I don't think we're doing s**t today.
Well no more new things then.

Clubs should be banned from using the rookie list to salary dump, or move off players that were borderline getting de-listed from the main list. Needs to go back to being about giving those who missed out on a chance via the draft, a second chance. Give me a new kid to develop over Doc who looked to have struggled at times with the pace last season and will likely retire/be de-listed come the end of 2024.

Last edited:
So obviously we're going to take a player during the preseason supplementary draft and then a midseason rookie. Should have just cut our losses with McNeil, unless he plays out of his skin this entire season he's easily the bottom of our list and Duryea is only sticking around because he's an experienced leader even though he desperately needs to retire.

Well no more new things then.

Clubs should be banned from using the rookie list to salary dump, or move off players that were borderline getting de-listed from the main list. Needs to go back to being about giving those who missed out on a chance via the draft, a second chance.
I think it just needs to be restructured as a supplementary list of sorts. The wages on the supp list should be capped at let’s say 150k per player with a portion sitting outside the main cap ie 40% outside. Remove Cat B confusion too.

Use it for depth and project players. Still achieves the same objectives with a simpler format. In order to utilise a supplementary listed player you have to place a main listed player on the unavailable list for a set period of time.

You’d get all the benefits of the speculative JOD type picks with good coverage from Duryea etc there as well. Good spot to be able to offer to Sullivan etc too. Those supplementary guys still play in VFL affiliates and everyone wins.

How does the supplimentary draft work again? Is it a draft, with an order and a team could pinch someone you want ahead of you? Or is it like free agency and you can sign whichever train on player you like once the window opens?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back