Game Day LIVE - AFL 2023 Draftwatch for the WB

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs should be banned from using the rookie list to salary dump, or move off players that were borderline getting de-listed from the main list. Needs to go back to being about giving those who missed out on a chance via the draft, a second chance.
Why? You can't just draw a line through these players and say they're not allowed a second chance, and if you were to create a new pathway for that and keep the rookie draft pure, it wouldn't actually result in any more 18 year olds being taken.

McNeil makes no sense to me.

Hasn’t showed anything - why not take a stab at someone with potential upside?
I don't think he makes it either, but he played 13 games through being the best available option and we didn't recruit any ready-made replacements in his role. We need to refresh the list but expectations are also very high on our current performance - can't just cut all of our depth for low-chance rookies.

How does the supplimentary draft work again? Is it a draft, with an order and a team could pinch someone you want ahead of you? Or is it like free agency and you can sign whichever train on player you like once the window opens?
You can sign them that’s how we got Oskar Baker

So obviously we're going to take a player during the preseason supplementary draft and then a midseason rookie. Should have just cut our losses with McNeil, unless he plays out of his skin this entire season he's easily the bottom of our list and Duryea is only sticking around because he's an experienced leader even though he desperately needs to retire.
At this point we can only take a player at one or the other, not both.

The SPP is like the only thing that is like a Soccer system. Trial players before the start of the season to see if they're going transition into the game.

Just like playing football manager and trialing every player not on a team :p.

De La Rue going undrafted really surprises me, what are the knocks on him? Looks pretty solid to my eye, maybe a touch vanilla but I would have thought there was something to work with there

De La Rue going undrafted really surprises me, what are the knocks on him? Looks pretty solid to my eye, maybe a touch vanilla but I would have thought there was something to work with there
I have no idea, but he was the one that did his ACL and then had a foot injury, right? Not great injuries to have as an 18yo, would have to raise some question marks. Plus, may just be that clubs haven't seen enough due to injury.

Why? You can't just draw a line through these players and say they're not allowed a second chance, and if you were to create a new pathway for that and keep the rookie draft pure, it wouldn't actually result in any more 18 year olds being taken.

I don't think he makes it either, but he played 13 games through being the best available option and we didn't recruit any ready-made replacements in his role. We need to refresh the list but expectations are also very high on our current performance - can't just cut all of our depth for low-chance rookies.
For well over a decade of following, the rookie draft was more about a development pathway for those who missed out on the main draft, and contracts on the cheap side for clubs to manage.

Only in the last few has it watered away to a salary dump, or to recycle players. To be honest, how many of those "re-listed" types have gone on to being a best 22 players? Some have been in the system for years, at what point do you accept they won't make it? I reckon there was a higher rate of rookies making it, than recycled players. Rookies were a big part of our 2016 flag.

I am just saying, it is now one less pathway for potential draftees. Where it used to be another option. These days, if you miss out on the main draft, you may as well accept you will not end up on a list at all. It is a talking point these days whether there are less and less players being drafted than in previous times. Used to be like 20 plus new kids being rookie listed each year, now its like 5-7.

With the way it is used these days. We'd not have found Boyd, Picken and Morris back then. And we would not have a flag to show for it.

Last edited:
What was his injury this year? maybe they are unsure how his body will hold up in an AFL system.
ACL tear in 2021. So it could have put clubs off, and no idea whether it affected his athleticism. Or what his combine results were. But apparently he rehabbed hard and got himself right to play most of this year. Only just turned 18 about 3 days ago, so may have been one of the youngest players, if not close to the youngest in the draft.

Will be surprised if he is not invited back to the Stingrays as an over aged player if he doesn't get invited to train anywhere. One of the smartest and best kicks inside 50 in the draft. Genuine Fwd/Mid. Would have been worth giving a rookie spot to. Another player with evasive skills and a high work rate.

Callinan and Sanchez also stiff as well.

ACL tear in 2021. So it could have put clubs off, and no idea whether it affected his athleticism. Or what his combine results were. But apparently he rehabbed hard and got himself right to play most of this year. Only just turned 18, so may have been one of the youngest players, if not youngest in the draft.

Will likely be invited back as an over aged player if he doesn't get invited to train anywhere. One of the smartest and best kicks inside 50 in the draft. Genuine Fwd/Mid. Would have been worth giving a rookie spot to. Another player with evasive skills and a high work rate.

Yeah I forgot about his injuries tbf, I’d love any of those 3 guys to get a train on spot with us.

Might as well use the last spot, chances are there will probably be a long term injury spot open before the MSD anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute farce the Rookie Draft has become. No longer as intended for kids missed in the draft or young VFL kids, it's all salary dumps, re-listings and mature players now. Blow it up and start again.

As for us, absolutely zero need to keep Duryea and McNeil. Would rather have picked two kids. Anyways...

absolutely zero need to keep Duryea and McNeil
The fact that they were considered the best options to help us win games 20 (!) and 13 times, respectively, is a pretty good reason, regardless of your personal opinions of the players themselves.

Going by what Dom Milesi said in the video. The reason we didn't offer Doc and McNeil a spot on the main list, was to strategically keep enough list spots open, so we had enough picks to draft Croft. Smart moves to exploit a little loop hole there. Makes sense.

ACL tear in 2021. So it could have put clubs off, and no idea whether it affected his athleticism. Or what his combine results were. But apparently he rehabbed hard and got himself right to play most of this year. Only just turned 18 about 3 days ago, so may have been one of the youngest players, if not close to the youngest in the draft.

Will be surprised if he is not invited back to the Stingrays as an over aged player if he doesn't get invited to train anywhere. One of the smartest and best kicks inside 50 in the draft. Genuine Fwd/Mid. Would have been worth giving a rookie spot to. Another player with evasive skills and a high work rate.

Stringer snapped his leg in a number of places in a gruesome injury the year before he was drafted. Didn't put clubs off

Going by what Dom Milesi said in the video. The reason we didn't offer Doc and McNeil a spot on the main list, was to strategically keep enough list spots open, so we had enough picks to draft Croft. Smart moves to exploit a little loop hole there. Makes sense.
Also said O'Driscoll will be used as a small forward who can work up the ground a bit.

Just like I thought

What an absolute farce the Rookie Draft has become. No longer as intended for kids missed in the draft or young VFL kids, it's all salary dumps, re-listings and mature players now. Blow it up and start again.

As for us, absolutely zero need to keep Duryea and McNeil. Would rather have picked two kids. Anyways...

Dale Morris and Liam Picken say hello

Agree

I hope next year that this farce of not being allowed to match bids on your own NGA players until after pick 40 is given the flick. What a stupid ridiculous idea. Is Bozo the Clown in charge of AFL stupid ideas Department? Fair dinkum what a joke.

I hope next year that this farce of not being allowed to match bids on your own NGA players until after pick 40 is given the flick. What a stupid ridiculous idea. Is Bozo the Clown in charge of AFL stupid ideas Department? Fair dinkum what a joke.
Apparently it was reported earlier in the year the rules are changing for new year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back