Experiment - Mouse over on main navs. (User, Inbox, Alerts, Search)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a desktop site change - you will not notice a difference on the mobile site.

The XenForo forum software developers changed the software, totally killing up the old feature of drop downs on mouse over for Inbox, Alerts, Search. They made a design decision to have these appear only on click.

On investigation, we found they really didn't want that to happen and the new software is a mess of code that actually fights the very idea of a drop down on mouse over.

We have broken the back of their code and brought back mouse over but it is not 100% perfect.

You can turn this off down at the bottom of your preferences here:

dynamic-popup.jpg

We will work on any little eccentric behaviours (we've already found one) but it may never be totally perfect.

Let us know of any issues.

KNOWN ISSUES

1. Sometimes the info card of the first poster in the Alerts list will show upon mousing over Alerts. This seems to happen when you've followed a permalink to a specific post.
Update 24/4/19
1) It has been disabled on mobile devices, the subtle difference between holding, clicking, and tapping is lost on Javascript in Chrome.
2) We'll roll out a delay today so that you have to hover for about 600ms before it actually fires.
3) If that isn't to you liking, you all do know that you can turn it off if it isn't for you? Just go to preferences at the bottom and look for Supernav and turn off Dynamic Popup Menus.

Last edited:
This is a major pain now. It keeps activating them accidentally when my mouse moves around the page and I have to click somewhere else to get rid of it.

Can you not program a 1 second lag in or something so the boxes don't appear every time the mouse flies over them on the way to the bookmarks toolbar/browser tabs?

Or at least program it so they disappear again once you move your mouse instead of just staying there until you click somewhere else on the page?

Hey estibador, it should be easiest to put the delay before firing, which will mean less of a need to clear it as often. Previously it worked that you had to click elsewhere so that function hasn't changed. Should have next revision live today/tomorrow after other feedback incorporated.

You will know when because you will inexplicably feel 40% less annoyed.

I like the feature immensely.
However, when I scroll over alerts the list drops down, but then the profile box of the user who is at the top of the list appears and blocks the top 2-3 alert notices.
No, I'm not moving the cursor over the users name.
And, no I'm not smart enough to take a screenshot thingy.
Hope this makes sense.
The only way I can see the the the most recent alerts is to click on it which then takes me to a new page of alerts only.

I like the feature immensely.
However, when I scroll over alerts the list drops down, but then the profile box of the user who is at the top of the list appears and blocks the top 2-3 alert notices.
No, I'm not moving the cursor over the users name.
And, no I'm not smart enough to take a screenshot thingy.
Hope this makes sense.
The only way I can see the the the most recent alerts is to click on it which then takes me to a new page of alerts only.
Yep - a known issue as listed in the OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KNOWN ISSUES

1. Sometimes the info card of the first poster in the Alerts list will show upon mousing over Alerts. This seems to happen when you've followed a permalink to a specific post.
Not just the first poster in the Alerts list for me - just the first one I hover over, whether that is the 2nd one in the list or he 5th. Only happens the first time I do it for each particular tab in Chrome.

I think this has affected.mobile notifications and conversations as clicking the bell or envelope won't open either window.

Chrome, Galaxy S7
I'm having the same issue. Having to double click the bell in quick succession to view the alerts.

Chrome, Galaxy S10+

Attachments

• 2019_04_24_08_01_49.gif
    2019_04_24_08_01_49.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 50
Mouseover on menus:

1) It has been disabled on mobile devices, the subtle difference between holding, clicking, tapping, and fapping is lost on Javascript.
2) We'll roll out a delay today so that you have to hover for about 600ms before it actually fires.
3) If that isn't to you liking, you all do know that you can turn it off if it isn't for you? Just go to preferences at the bottom and look for Supernav and turn off Dynamic Popup Menus.

Cheers, TeknoFerret

You're only just telling us this now?!

Thank god, back to being able use bigfooty without feeling I'm on some dodgy spam site hammering me with pop ups

I've noticed in the last few days that i have to hit the alerts icon several times before it responds whereas previously i only ever had to tap it once for it to respond.

Also, there were a number of gifs i used to use before the last upgrade that would work fine. Now they don't load properly (filename comes up with a line through it). However if i refresh the page, the gif will load.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back