F1 in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

As unenforceable as the ban on team orders.
It certainly opens a can of worms as to what is a message about strategy and what is a message about performance. I can understand that some of the recent messages (ie "you're breaking too early into corner" x, and "you're losing time in sector 2") fit clearly into the category of performance, but what about fuel settings, brake bias, changes to tyre strategy. The latter could be viewed as assisting the driver.

Rule 20.1 is brief and to the point "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided."

There is no further clarification in the rules about what this means and we all know that F1 is all about interpretation of the rules.

My guess is that there will be clear guidelines given to the teams as to what constitutes an radio message.

By the way Raikkonen will love this, I'm pretty sure he fits into the category of drivers who would prefer the radio was only allowed to be used for safety messages and "box, box, box".

Last edited:
I'm not in favour of this in between radio ban. Either you ban all messages which I personally think would suck and isn't possible in this age of complicated control settings, or you let them send out what you want because ultimately its just a message, the driver still has to act and control the vehicle.

But hey its only been what 2 rounds since the last rule or enforcement change so we were due another!

Luca DiMontezemolo has resigned from Ferrari.
Chairman of Santander Emilio Botin has died. Big supporter of Santander being in F1, and Alonso.

Just last week Alonso said he had no plans of leaving Ferrari anytime soon. Wonder if that's changed this morning...
I've never understood it until now, but Ferrari is such massive news in Italy. I thought it was always much like everywhere else where F1 is a niche sport and perhaps the Tifosi were just really hardcore niche fans, but LDM resigning is legit mainstream news here. They talk about it on the radio equivalent of Nova or something in between ridiculous pop songs and his face was on the front of the paper the day it happened.

Amazing stuff.

Sorta wish F1 was like that in Straya, instead, we have bogans who like 'Fully sik' Commodores and 'Cut mad skids'
Well owning your own F1 car is only for the mega rich now while anyone can 'cut mad skids' in their own Commodore. F1 isn't the most accessible of sports is it ;)

Yeah I think you car either gets sold or cubed here (after a few offenses)
This doesn't really bother me with commodores, but I'll be devastated if an e30 m3 or something equally rare/hard to get hold of gets cubed due to hoonage and refused to be sold. I'm sure it's going to happen too.

This doesn't really bother me with commodores, but I'll be devastated if an e30 m3 or something equally rare/hard to get hold of gets cubed due to hoonage and refused to be sold. I'm sure it's going to happen too.
For an E30 M3, it would almost be worth breaking into the impound lot to save it.

I think if they are roadworthy they get sold, but a lot are illegally modded type things and those obviously don't.

For an E30 M3, it would almost be worth breaking into the impound lot to save it.
Not an M3, but I was offered an E30 with 120,000kms (looked legit) on it for $1k. No roady, no rego. I literally flipped a coin to decide what to do and didn't buy it. Found out recently it got registered and is still running strong :(

In fairness to myself I didn't really have anywhere to keep it at the time but with where I live now I'd absolutely jump at something like that if it came up again.

Still, such a sad coin flip.

Fwiw. I remember something SJ said about owning a BMW to muck around in. If any of you are in a position to do so. I'd recommend to get it. There's heaps of competitions you can do with a regular car, once you join a car club and get the smaller CAMS license ($200<) Motorkhana, Khanacross, Autocross, Hilliclimbs, Sprints, etc..

Here's the list from the FIA of what is allowed to be said and what isn't allowed over the radio:

Messages not permitted (either by radio or pit board)
Sector time detail of a competitor and where a competitor is faster or slower.
Adjustment of power unit settings.
Adjustment of power unit setting to de-rate the systems.
Adjustment of gearbox settings.
Learning of gears of the gearbox (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
Balancing the SOC ['State of charge', ie ERS battery charge level - AC] or adjusting for performance.
Information on fuel flow settings (except if requested to do so by race control).
Information on level of fuel saving needed.
Information on tyre pressures or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
Information on differential settings.
Start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops.
Information on clutch maps or settings, eg bite point.
Burn-outs prior to race starts.
Information on brake balance or BBW settings.
Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).
Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car).
Answering a direct question from a driver, eg “Am I using the right torque map?”
Any message that appears to be coded.

Messages permitted (for the avoidance of doubt)
Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.
Lap or sector time detail.
Lap time detail of a competitor.
Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.
“Push hard,” “push now,” “you will be racing xx,” or similar.
Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.
Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.
Puncture warning.
Tyre choice at the next pit stop.
Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.
Tyre specification of a competitor.
Indication of a potential problem with a competitor’s car during a race.
Information concerning a competitors likely race strategy.
Yellow flags, blue flags, Safety Car deployment or other cautions.
Safety Car window.
Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, eg missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.
Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled.
Dealing with a DRS system failure.
Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.
Oil transfer.
Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.
When to enter the pits.
Reminders to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.
Reminders about track limits.
Passing on messages from race control.
Information concerning damage to the car.
Number of laps remaining.
Driver instructions from the team to swap position with other drivers.
Test sequence information during practice sessions, eg aero-mapping.
Weather information.
Pit to retire the car.

The list of things that aren't permitted is much bigger than I thought it would be and includes power settings and fuel settings which suddenly puts a lot of extra things a driver has to think about during the race.

The good news is that "Hammer time" is still allowed :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they not permitted to do pre race burnouts now, or just not allowed to tell them to do them over the radio?

Will have a massive effect the next time a driver says "I have no power," looks like they'll have to work it out themselves, or pit and be told once pitted. Unless there's a way the team can control the engine maps etc remotely?

If I were in charge of one of the teams I'd get together with my counterparts and basically agree to defy the ban. If all the teams do that... well, they can hardly enforce it then can they?

If I were in charge of one of the teams I'd get together with my counterparts and basically agree to defy the ban. If all the teams do that... well, they can hardly enforce it then can they?
Then one team like Caterham decides to obey the ban, all the other team get penalised and Caterham win the race.

I'm all for the drivers being babied less but I really think this has gone too far.

Sure very specific 'how to drive' things like 'brake later into turn 3, you need to carry more speed through the apex of turn 6' type stuff I have no problem with banning. But things like bite point/burnout info at the start and things like de-rating the engine (especially in with the engine usage restrictions) I have no problem with.

You've got to wonder how the Bianchi incident will affect the Russian GP. Alan Jones said last night that there was doubt whether teams would even make it to Sochi on time, due to the weather. Surely they'll at least consider delaying it for a week or two.

You've got to wonder how the Bianchi incident will affect the Russian GP. Alan Jones said last night that there was doubt whether teams would even make it to Sochi on time, due to the weather. Surely they'll at least consider delaying it for a week or two.

Don't think they can delay the race but they should look at calling it of

Looks like Caterham have started the shell game (keep moving staff and assets from one company to another) to avoid closing down.

I love the comment “An action was threatened against a supplier company to 1MRT. This company is not owned by 1MRT and it has no influence over the entry of Caterham F1 or the entrant”

Caterham were forced to repair a problem suspension part on Kobayashi's car in Russia by carbon wrapping it at the circuit. It is alleged (by Kobayashi) that the team did not have enough spare parts to replace it.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-20-at-19.07.06.png

Although Caterham claim that Caterham Sports Limited "has no influence over the entry of Caterham F1" it's clear that if you can't get spare parts from a manufacturer then there is a problem.

There aren't many races left in the year and I'd say that Caterham will probably make it to the end, but I continue to have doubts over their involvement in F1 next year.

The Formula 1 manufacturer which designs and builds the cars used by the Caterham team has gone into administration, casting doubts over the team’s future and potentially hundreds of jobs.

Accountants Smith & Williamson have been appointed as administrators to Caterham Sports Limited (CSL), which is based Leafield, Oxfordshire, in Britain’s “motorsport valley” where many of the world’s leading motor racing companies are based.

CSL provides services to 1 Malaysia Racing Team (1MRT), the Malaysian company which operates the Caterham F1 Team in the Formula 1 World Championship.

Administrators said they have been engaged in “positive” talks with the racing team to see if CSL can continue to supply it but said that if an agreement cannot be reached they will begin discussions about selling the company’s assets.

Administrator Finbarr O’Connell said although the around 200 staff working in CSL’s factory had their contracts transferred over to 1MRT in the past few weeks, he said their jobs could be at risk if an arrangement is not struck soon.

“As administrator I control the machines they are working on, the computers, the factory, the intellectual property. If I don’t do a deal with 1MRT then they will have nothing to work on and their jobs could be at risk.”

Mr O’Connell was appointed as administrator to CSL by the company’s bank. Constantin Cojocar, CSL’s sole director, had applied to put the company into insolvency through a court order. Mr Cojocar said in legal papers he expected to receive £2m a week from backers which would be used to pay creditors but when this money did not arrive he had no choice but to request the company be put into administration.

The administration places further pressure on the Caterham racing team which is currently standing in last place with zero points this season.

Earlier this month bailiffs turned up at the Leafield factory, driving the team to put out a statement ahead of the race at Suzuka on October 5. In it the racing team condemned “unfounded and unsubstantiated rumours concerning actions against 1MRT, the entrant and owner of Caterham F1”.
“An action was threatened against a supplier company to 1MRT. This company is not owned by 1MRT and it has no influence over the entry of Caterham F1 or the entrant,” it added. “Contrary to uncontrolled rumours, all operations are currently in place at Leafield.”

A spokesman for the racing team said: "CSL going into administration does not affect the Formula 1 team in any way, as we are not part of it."

Last edited:
....and the situation for Caterham gets worse. I bit of argy-bargy from the administrator and Caterham may not have any cars for Austin

Caterham's financial troubles appear to be deepening, as it emerges the struggling F1 team may have no cars to race at the forthcoming US grand prix.
Reuters reports that the green cars are scheduled to leave Caterham's Leafield factory bound for Austin this weekend.
But the man appointed to oversee the administration of Caterham Sports Limited, reportedly a separate company to the F1 team but also based at Leafield, is warning he will not be releasing the cars amid a legal dispute.
It is the latest instalment in Caterham's financial troubles following the sale of the struggling team by founder Tony Fernandes to a mysterious consortium represented by advisor Colin Kolles, of HRT and Spyker fame.
"My legal advice is that I own the cars and won't be allowing the cars out of the factory until I reach an acceptable agreement," said Finbarr O'Connell, working for the administrators on behalf of unpaid creditors including Exim Bank of Malaysia.
The team, said to now be in talks with the administrator, insists the troubled Caterham-branded company is not associated with the team, while sources say Caterham's F1 future is therefore not endangered.
But O'Connell hinted that the next step could be the team's expulsion from the Leafield factory, which is already being guarded by private security on behalf of the administrator.
"We are allowing 1MRT (the team) to use our facility while we negotiate a settlement," he said. "They need to reach an agreement with us."

It looks like the administrator is looking for some cash for use of the facility or something like that.

It is also reported that Tony Fernandes may actually still own the team and is facing a legal battle on that front

"On 29 June 2014, Caterham Enterprises Ltd, Caterham (UK) Ltd and Sheikh Mohamed Nasarudin (Seller) and their shareholders Tony Fernandes and Datuk Kamarudin Bin Meranun entered into a Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Engavest SA (Buyer) with regards to 1Malaysia Racing Team Sdn Bhd/Caterham F1 Team.
"Since the date of the Agreement, the Seller has refused to comply with its legal obligations to transfer their shares to the Buyer. The Buyer has been left in the invidious position of funding the team without having legal title to the team it had bought. This is in total contradiction to the Seller's press release of 3 October 2014 which stated that Mr Fernandes and his Caterham Group had no longer any connection with the Caterham F1 Team.
"The administrators of Caterham Sports Limited have been appointed on behalf of Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (Exim), a creditor of Mr Fernandes and the Caterham Group. The Buyer has no connection with Exim. Caterham Sports Ltd was a supplier company to the Caterham F1 Team. Very regrettably, the administrators' appointment has had devastating effects on the F1 Team's activities. Since their appointment, the administrators have released various press statements which have been severely detrimental to the management of the Caterham F1 Team.
"After three months of operating the Caterham F1 Team in good faith, the Buyer is now forced to explore all its options including the withdrawal of its management team. Lawyers have been instructed by the Buyer to bring all necessary claims against all parties, including Mr Fernandes who, as an owner, will run the F1 operation."
Fernandes issued a short response on Twitter: "If you buy something you should pay for it. Quite simple"

in a related move Manfredi Ravetto has stepped down as Caterham team principal Manfredi Ravetto.
“I've been asked by my direct superior entities to step back and this I have to follow,” Ravetto said. “So I presume that now the owners of Caterham F1 Team – who I understand is still Mr Fernandes – has to make all necessary steps from now on. I don't know how to answer this question. I would have known after last week but the scenario has now drastically changed.”
And Ravetto confirmed that there was a risk that Caterham may not be on the grid in Austin, having been confident up until the latest developments.
Asked if he expects the team to race in United States, Ravetto replied: “This I cannot say because we have been keeping the normal race preparations until today. What happens from tomorrow onwards is not under my control anymore.”
Asked if a resolution could be found to the current situation before Austin, Ravetto said: “I hope so, but it's beyond my knowledge and control really. I'm purely an executor.”
And Ravetto said he “definitely” felt the team would have seen out the season, saying good progress had been made in trying to safeguard its future.
“Actually we had everything in place including some relevant driver negotiations for both next year and possibilities for the end of this year including the young driver test, Friday practice etc. So actually, as I said many times, we had everything to finish the season and even to progress.”

Last edited:
As I postulated yesterday, the administrator wants Caterham to pay to use the Leafield factory and now staff are locked out until some money changes hands....

Caterham's crisis went from bad to worse on Thursday, as team staff found themselves locked out of the Leafield factory.
"They can't get into the factory today," Finbarr O'Connell, the administrator now in charge of the facility on behalf a creditor, a Malaysian bank, told Reuters.
"They (the team) are using my facilities and haven't paid me," he added.
Inside the locked up factory are the green Caterham cars that will not make the weekend deadline to be shipped to Austin unless an urgent deal is struck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back