Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

So apparently crowds are up by 29%, yet they didn't mention that the number of (home and away) matches is down by 29% from 56 to 40.

That hardly seems like much of a win.
I think that is CA's aim though, less games more people at the games, more at stake every game. Seems like the right balance IMO

I think that is CA's aim though, less games more people at the games, more at stake every game. Seems like the right balance IMO
I don't disagree, but you'd hope by decreasing the supply you'd get a bigger corresponding increase in demand to compensate for it, but there doesn't seem to be there yet. Maybe TV ratings are up more than that but I haven't seen a comparison yet.

At the end of the day CA's aim is make more $, nothing else. Perhaps there's more at stake now, but then why not have a 4 game season if that was really their aim.

They have since 18/19.

I've never understood why people lose their minds over this. It's an obvious throwback to how we all did it in the backyard, and very, very harmless.

Plus, what's so special about a coin?
‘The Big bash is the peak of world sport’ feels like the only comment you will ever accept about it. Do you work in the Cricket Australia marketing department?

‘The Big bash is the peak of world sport’ feels like the only comment you will ever accept about it. Do you work in the Cricket Australia marketing department?
On the contrary.

It will never be the best domestic cricket competition in the world, I've never said anything remotely like that.

My main argument is that the critics have unrealistically high expectations, and they should be tempered. With a minor "why the * are people complaining when there are tens of thousands turning up and a million more watching on TV for a domestic cricket competition?"

When people complain it doesn't have stars, my comments are that it doesn't need stars - Yasir Arafat and Michael Carberry win championships, for instance.

When people say there are too many grade cricketers, I say, firstly, there's not as many as you think, plus it's a great place for them to get their start in professional cricket. (The entire Australian test team played domestic T20s either as their first professional match, or within the first 12 months.)

And it's a great place to develop talent, and give them experience in pressure situations and in front of big crowds - imagine if Aaron Hardie opened the bowling for Australia in front of 30,000 Indians, as he did last month, having only ever played in front of a few hundred in Shield or Marsh Cup games.

I'm in favour of eight teams even though it probably weakens the event, because it provides more opportunities for young Australians to earn a living playing cricket.

Throw in the fact that it does deliberately appeal to young people, who are the future of the sport, and that T20 is the best way of growing the game around the world, and that's pretty much it

When the BBL had stars, you got 80,000 to a game. When the BBL no longer has stars, they get 25,000 to watch the same teams…

But yeah, the comp is great!!!
Lol, one game.
25k are solid crowds for a domestic competition that has international competition in the same sport, over various formats.

Like I’ve heard some other reasonable people say, if you don’t like BBL, don’t watch it, who cares.

The Big Bash is great to take the kids and family to, they love it….
….Hang on a minute….maybe this has something to do with the people who rag on the BBL.

Wow another crowd around the 27k mark tonight, like the number of crazed fans that turned up for the rain soaked Melbourne derby.

This thread is going about as well as the "Cummins Overrated?" howler.

There are multiple people on this forum, on multiple threads who seem into egg bukkakes.
Poached, fried, scrambled, omelettes, frittaters, just throw it all on my lonely face.
The best was obviously the troll saying Bryce Street should play for Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell you what, I could do without these floghead djs who appear to think the cricket is merely an interruption and a distraction from their gig.

The bowlers are 3 steps into a run up before the music shuts off, and then it's back on before it's in the 'keepers gloves.

Can we let the game breathe, even for a few seconds between balls?! I understand if they want to play music between overs, that's a compromise I could live with. But I have no idea who playing 20 seconds of a song between balls is supposed to benefit or entertain.

Tell you what, I could do without these floghead djs who appear to think the cricket is merely an interruption and a distraction from their gig.

The bowlers are 3 steps into a run up before the music shuts off, and then it's back on before it's in the 'keepers gloves.

Can we let the game breathe, even for a few seconds between balls?! I understand if they want to play music between overs, that's a compromise I could live with. But I have no idea who playing 20 seconds of a song between balls is supposed to benefit or entertain.
My pet hate in a lot of current sports.

The Jack Jumpers are really bad. They just have a DJ playing nonstop. I am here for the sport, not your music. Play the music during the break, not during the game.

Maybe that is why I love the Hobart tennis tournament so much. The silence on the court is golden.

Ratings and crowd numbers aren't the only criteria for success.
If this was the case, the Barbie movie would be regarded as up there with Casblanca, the Godfather, and Citizen Kane.
While the Bachelor, Keeping up with Kardashians and the Real Housewives of _____ regarded as the peer of Breaking Bad, the Wire, the Sopranos and Succession.

There are other criteria
  • The quality of the cricket
  • Memorable competitive games with exciting finishes
  • The quality of the players
  • Different teams contending/winning every year
  • Organised efficient administration
When it comes to these 5 things, the competition declines every year.

The only saving grace is that they got rid of the ridiculous X Factor and Bash Boost and introduced the third umpire.

Finally if the BBL is such a great product and in such great shape, why did they contract it by 16 games?

Wow another crowd around the 27k mark tonight, like the number of crazed fans that turned up for the rain soaked Melbourne derby.

My pet hate in a lot of current sports.

The Jack Jumpers are really bad. They just have a DJ playing nonstop. I am here for the sport, not your music. Play the music during the break, not during the game.

Maybe that is why I love the Hobart tennis tournament so much. The silence on the court is golden.

That's exactly why I don't go to the basketball either.

The A-league might get it's occasional degenerate grub invading the pitch hurling buckets, but it'll do me for summer, the football is the best option for someone with (mild) sensory issues, because the football remains the focus, and the game itself provides ample opportunity to breathe (as cricket did between balls before the advent of T20.)

I like the Aus Open, but can rarely find anyone to go with, and while I have no issue attending things alone rather than missing the altogether, the tennis is a long, pretty dull day by yourself. Same with the cricket, I generally find I can only last 60 or 70 overs if I've gone to a day of the test match alone.

That's exactly why I don't go to the basketball either.

The A-league might get it's occasional degenerate grub invading the pitch hurling buckets, but it'll do me for summer, the football is the best option for someone with (mild) sensory issues, because the football remains the focus, and the game itself provides ample opportunity to breathe (as cricket did between balls before the advent of T20.)

I like the Aus Open, but can rarely find anyone to go with, and while I have no issue attending things alone rather than missing the altogether, the tennis is a long, pretty dull day by yourself. Same with the cricket, I generally find I can only last 60 or 70 overs if I've gone to a day of the test match alone.

I did enjoy going to the tennis by myself as it gave me freedom to move around and it was when Kyrgios was good and playing on Margaret Court so had a good game to watch and the freedom to wander before and after.

Have been with others also, but then you do what they want. Haven’t decided if I’m going this year, with any luck I’ll be off to Brisbane to play cricket by day 3 so not many options.

But hoping to get to the GABBA test and maybe even a basketball game whilst up there. Must admit I’ve even left the basketball early every game this year, I volunteer there and then we can watch the game, but being on my own I find I get bored and it’s a long day. But then maybe it’s also the sensory overload as well, tires you out quicker.

Never happened before this year though, must be getting old!

Ratings and crowd numbers aren't the only criteria for success.
If this was the case, the Barbie movie would be regarded as up there with Casblanca, the Godfather, and Citizen Kane.
While the Bachelor, Keeping up with Kardashians and the Real Housewives of _____ regarded as the peer of Breaking Bad, the Wire, the Sopranos and Succession.

There are other criteria
  • The quality of the cricket
  • Memorable competitive games with exciting finishes
  • The quality of the players
  • Different teams contending/winning every year
  • Organised efficient administration
When it comes to these 5 things, the competition declines every year.

The only saving grace is that they got rid of the ridiculous X Factor and Bash Boost and introduced the third umpire.

Finally if the BBL is such a great product and in such great shape, why did they contract it by 16 games?
All you’ve pretty much said is the things you like are correct, and if people like things you don’t, they are incorrect.
People like different things, people are different ages, people come from different generations.

Your comment would be like an old lady complaining someone bought a jumper from a shop, when a hand knitted one is so much better.

Possibly.
But the reality is that I'm frustrated by CA's inability to create a T20 tournament that is the 2nd best in the world.
For a generation, World Series Cricket was the yardstick when it came to one day cricket. It had the best in the world playing in it and it produced some incredible cricket.
Summers were amazing - today Adelaide, in a couple of days Sydney, then Brisbane, then Perth, Melbourne and around the country we go.
And to be honest, in the first 5-6 years of BBL, it had this feeling.
And the games were amazing and exciting.

Now it all feels a shadow of what it once was.

Now with the other leagues all happening around this time of year and with us lagging when it comes to attracting the best players, it is a steady spiral of a decline ie players not that good, games not that exciting or memorable.

Whats the solution?
Get the Australian players involved? But how does this work with the fixturing of the test matches?
Change the amount of teams?
Somehow get more $$$ to attract the big overseas names.

I'm not sure if any of these are possible, hence I'm pessimistic about the state of it.

All you’ve pretty much said is the things you like are correct, and if people like things you don’t, they are incorrect.
People like different things, people are different ages, people come from different generations.

Your comment would be like an old lady complaining someone bought a jumper from a shop, when a hand knitted one is so much better.

I think many of us could do without flogheads djs in society.

Possibly.
But the reality is that I'm frustrated by CA's inability to create a T20 tournament that is the 2nd best in the world.
For a generation, World Series Cricket was the yardstick when it came to one day cricket. It had the best in the world playing in it and it produced some incredible cricket.
Summers were amazing - today Adelaide, in a couple of days Sydney, then Brisbane, then Perth, Melbourne and around the country we go.
And to be honest, in the first 5-6 years of BBL, it had this feeling.
And the games were amazing and exciting.

Now it all feels a shadow of what it once was.

Now with the other leagues all happening around this time of year and with us lagging when it comes to attracting the best players, it is a steady spiral of a decline ie players not that good, games not that exciting or memorable.

Whats the solution?
Get the Australian players involved? But how does this work with the fixturing of the test matches?
Change the amount of teams?
Somehow get more $$$ to attract the big overseas names.

I'm not sure if any of these are possible, hence I'm pessimistic about the state of it.
Tbh myself being a cricket lover the more i watch T20 the less interested i become.

I think a lot of other Cricket Traditionalist are the same.

We appreciate the other formats because we grew up with them.

I grew up in the early 2000s where we had the Tests done by Sydney in first week of Jan.

Then the excitement of the ODI Tri-Series that would go to mid-February before we shoot off for an overseas test & ODI tours in March to the one place. Where you knock over everything in one hit and you go around again in that 4 year cycle.

Remember when there was no music between overs let alone balls at one day international matches, the only noise was the atmosphere of the crowd

hmmn…. Checks footy team you follow…. Guess 27k would seem Huuuuuuugggggeee (in best Darrel Eastlake voice).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back