Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets have some financial reward for the Big Bash fans. Financial incentive for a 1 hand 1 catch? This happened last night:

$100k for a 1 hander catch in the crowd anyone? Its been the whole talking point of the tournament.

And then the critics will say the tournament needs gimmicks to get people through the door.

It’s not like the BBL hasn’t been loaded in the past with gimmicks anyway with the X-factor, Bash boost point and now the power surge.
Two of them have gone.
The surge is not a gimmicks and works well IMO.

It's not like the days when you had rugby players playing etc.

Laurie Evans on the mic the other day said he was contracted for the ILT20 before BBL so felt obliged to go there rather than play finals, is the draft too late in the piece? I realise it should be taken with a grain of salt as those T20 guys would go and play in the Israeli Premier League if they could get a few extra dollars but it seemed somewhat genuine.

Surely guys like Munro, Billings, Overton etc. would actually want to stick around for an extra week so they can play finals given they've played essentially the whole minor round? I'd take a packed Metricon Stadium for a final over some desert league with no one there.

Which imports are actually available for finals? Can only think of Eskinazi and I assume Walter and Payne.
Reducing the length by a week would probably do it.

A few more double headers and you could do it quite easily.

Reducing the length by a week would probably do it.

A few more double headers and you could do it quite easily.

Reducing it is good in theory but the comp has got real momentum in the last few weeks.

Pre Christmas was ruined by rain and the Perth Test but I think there is value in that period. I don’t think you could end the comp any sooner in January either.

I think the length is right now, definitely room for one more game each though.

In terms of the imports I think we live with it. For half the comp it doesn't matter anyway as they don't make finals. There is never going to be a clear window for the BBL in the Cricket calander so I think we do what works for us.

It’s not like the BBL hasn’t been loaded in the past with gimmicks anyway with the X-factor, Bash boost point and now the power surge.
At least that was on-field stuff. If people hate music between balls, imagine if every six is followed by endless replays of Steve from Dianella falling into the back of the kid in front.

Reducing it is good in theory but the comp has got real momentum in the last few weeks.

Pre Christmas was ruined by rain and the Perth Test but I think there is value in that period. I don’t think you could end the comp any sooner in January either.

I think the length is right now, definitely room for one more game each though.

In terms of the imports I think we live with it. For half the comp it doesn't matter anyway as they don't make finals. There is never going to be a clear window for the BBL in the Cricket calander so I think we do what works for us.
At least for the next few years, Aussie internationals should be available for the backend of the tournament.

At least that was on-field stuff. If people hate music between balls, imagine if every six is followed by endless replays of Steve from Dianella falling into the back of the kid in front.
I mean, they already do. Just with no financial reward ;)

Power Surge isn’t a gimmick and wouldn’t be surprised if the IPL eventually picks it up. Adds a tactical element to the game.

At least for the next few years, Aussie internationals should be available for the backend of the tournament.

True, each year will be different so I think people want the familiarity of the dates. Some years will be better than others but I think it's better to lock it in and work around the test matches.

Huge crowd at the MCG tonight, unbelievable turnout…

Although will still fall well short of the best domestic crowd in the state based Twenty20 comp when 43,000 showed up to watch Victoria belt Tassie.

Then again in this supposed unbelievable season of crowds for this fake franchise crap, none can beat the good old state comp crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge crowd at the MCG tonight, unbelievable turnout…

Although will still fall well short of the best domestic crowd in the state based Twenty20 comp when 43,000 showed up to watch Victoria belt Tassie.

Then again in this supposed unbelievable season of crowds for this fake franchise crap, none can beat the good old state comp crowd.
Keep yelling at clouds old man.
You might be getting angrier by the the day, but you’re also getting older by the minute.
Meanwhile younger people are becoming more important, and even younger people are being born by the seconds.

Soon your trolling won’t even be noticed, your crap will simply be ignored, as life moves forward.

And you’ll wonder what happened.

Enjoy your trolling misery now dude, enjoy the attention you are feeling, because soon your negative insignificance will be belly deep.

Attachments

• 1705314534787.png
    1705314534787.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
Keep yelling at clouds old man.
You might be getting angrier by the the day, but you’re also getting older by the minute.
Meanwhile younger people are becoming more important, and even younger people are being born by the seconds.

Soon your trolling won’t even be noticed, your crap will simply be ignored, as life moves forward.

And you’ll wonder what happened.

Enjoy your trolling misery now dude, enjoy the attention you are feeling, because soon your negative insignificance will be belly deep.

I’m glad to see you admit you enjoy a game that’s aimed at little kids, says a lot!

I’m glad to see you admit you enjoy a game that’s aimed at little kids, says a lot!
Yep.
I enjoy the enjoyment I get from seeing the joy my kids, and their friends, get from the BBL.

Enjoy what’s coming to you when your enjoyment of trolling is computed by the generation you despise as “little kids”.

You will be ignored, your old school love of being a troll will probably be in the same vault as Test Cricket.

The vault Sheffield Shield Cricket currently resides in old man.

Last edited:
Yep.
I enjoy the enjoyment I get from seeing the joy my kids, and their friends, get from the BBL.

Enjoy what’s coming to you when your enjoyment of trolling is computed by the generation you despise as “little kids”.

You will be ignored, your old school love of being a troll will probably be in the same vault as Test Cricket.

The vault Sheffield Shield Cricket currently resides in old man.

Well at least now you’ve proved your opinion is completely irrelevant if you want test cricket to die at the expense of this s**t.

It’s not like the old timers needed gimmicks to attract them to cricket when they were young…
WSC was pretty much the birthplace of sporting gimmicks, the young loved it and the old foggies didn’t.
Remarkably, now that those young folks are now old, they want to see the old tri series, of all things, reintroduced.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hit in the face or breaks a finger going for a 1 hander and CA gets sued.

There's enough gimmicks in the game already IMO.
It was really fun watching the NZ comp a few years back where they had something similar (but you had to be wearing a certain shirt or something). There was a day at Queenstown where Corey Anderson went bug-* and was bombing them onto the hill every third ball and because it was a rain delay and almost empty there were dudes diving round all over the shop trying to take them. It was pretty entertaining.

Thinking of Tests as mature adult entertainment and T20 as kids entertainment is embarrassing levels of argument from yourself. It's all sport, not high art and literature.
A lot of people feel like they need to look down on T20 if they want to be seen as a "real cricket fan".

It's the hipster mentality of needing to go against the grain and be different (like people that define their music taste by what it says about them, rather than what they enjoy listening to).

Personally, I like watching the Big Bash and the IPL. I also enjoyed the Pakistan test series and am looking forward to England vs India. The elitism by the so called "purists" is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to give T20 cricket a fair go ?

There is plenty to enjoy and like about all 3 forms of cricket.

I have it a chance and it’s never been more than a gimmicky game that has further devolved over the years.

The only people who take it seriously are from one state, no one else cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back