Toast Farewell Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair bit of overreaction here. I think its a good thing for the club. Need turnover. Wrighty was great but a lot of his aura/reputation came from the early years. Recently he's been fleeced on O'meara, Wingard and Brad Hill trades. Taken a beaten up Scully, Patton and Vickery. Drafted Hartung. The Will Day was a Goeff Harris/Mckenzie pick. He hasn't been great IMO. Time for a new face, new ideas. It's exciting for the club. Lets do the rebuild right. Were in a pretty poor position list wise atm and Wrighty is the most responsible for that.

He is replaceable. Sure he was there during the 4 premierships but so was Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy (for 2), Roughy, Lewis and Birchall ..... Wright had nothing to do with this lot! Best of luck to him.

Well done Wrighty magnificent service, good luck for the future. Our next challenge is to make sure they don’t take S.Mitchell as well when Buckley’s time is up.

He is replaceable. Sure he was there during the 4 premierships but so was Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy (for 2), Roughy, Lewis and Birchall ..... Wright had nothing to do with this lot! Best of luck to him.

Wright never had juicy draft picks to work with either

Losing one person is not a disaster. Unfortunately Wright is another in a long list of senior, quality people we have lost over the years.

Evans, Fagan, Fox, Newbold, Wright, Russell, Ratten, Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson not to mention the on field senior leaders we have lost over recent years - we’ve been gutted.

Spoke to a senior AFL staffer who was involved in the hubs in 2020. He said our culture is solely driven by Clarkson due to the constant loss of senior personnel at the club. It’s dangerous having one person driving an entire organisation’s culture and losing Wright won’t help with this.

Losing one person is not a disaster. Unfortunately Wright is another in a long list of senior, quality people we have lost over the years.

Evans, Fagan, Fox, Newbold, Wright, Russell, Ratten, Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson not to mention the on field senior leaders we have lost over recent years - we’ve been gutted.

Spoke to a senior AFL staffer who was involved in the hubs in 2020. He said our culture is solely driven by Clarkson due to the constant loss of senior personnel at the club. It’s dangerous having one person driving an entire organisation’s culture and losing Wright won’t help with this.
Spot on. Wright was the last one left from the old guard. Clarko has full control now.

Wright was in charge of recruiting from 07, and took Rioli with his first pick for us. Not bad.

Has also picked/ brought in players as List Manager/ recruiter including:
Burgoyne
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Breust
Gunston
Smith
Stratton
Puopolo
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Suckling
Duryea
Hill
McEvoy

Most multiple premiership players.

Then helped with the 2nd rebuild with:
JOM
Tom
Chad
Lewis
Worpel
Day
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Impey
Hardwick
Sicily
DGB

That's a mountain of work and the nucleus of our side.

Sure he's missed with Patton, Scully, Vickery, but we paid nothing for them.

Yes McKenzie and others have helped.

Is he replacable, yes. But this appointment is bloody crucial moving forward. As ive said, it's gonna take 2 separate roles for mine. We need a list manager and a footy manager. And good ones.

Make no mistake, this is a gaping hole to fill and we need to get it spot on.

Spot on. Wright was the last one left from the old guard. Clarko has full control now.

Wright was in charge of recruiting from 07, and took Rioli with his first pick for us. Not bad.

Burgoyne
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Breust
Gunston
Smith
Stratton
Puopolo
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Suckling
Duryea
Hill
McEvoy

JOM
Tom
Chad
Lewis
Worpel
Day
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Impey
Hardwick
Sicily
DGB

Is he replacable, yes. But this appointment is bloody crucial moving forward. As ive said, it's gonna take 2 separate roles for mine. We need a list manager and a footy manager. And good ones.

Both those lists 1/2 trades, 1/2 draftees developed. I wonder if that continues

Burgoyne
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Breust
Gunston
Smith
Stratton
Puopolo
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Suckling
Duryea
Hill
McEvoy

JOM
Tom
Chad
Lewis
Worpel
Day
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Impey
Hardwick
Sicily
DGB

Like Roughy, Rioli was a Clarko over rule

The culture can’t be too bad as not many players want to leave. Smith one of few exceptions. Balme would be a great fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide and Collingwood have been the best recruiting teams in recent drafts(West Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne and Fremantle have been good also), maybe poach one of those guys (from my PoV over the last 3 years of drafts)

No surprise about this event. GW will be competent in his Collingwood role but not stunning.

The HFC smells at the moment. It lacks energy, it lacks planning, it lacks enthusiasm, it lacks strategy. It is led by a 74 year old in his fourth term. It is dominated by a legendary senior coach who has two years left on a contract without an obvious plan for its future. We appear to be meandering. Reactive.

Where is the usual smart, aggressive, enthused HFC plan for the future ??

The place is a mess. Some will say this is an over reaction, someone like GW does not leave if there was clarity, leadership, agreement on a future plan. Surely.
I think the club has been stretched for a while and this has been compounded by key personnel leaving on a regular basis. Not too concerned by the coaches but more so the off-field personnel.

Evans leaving, but handing to Fagan was good
Fagan leaving handing over to Burt who was possibly pushed to keep Wright
Andrew Russell leaving
Bolton as Director of Coaching (what were we thinking!)
Wright now leaving

But two that stick out most for me are:
Fox leaving and appointing Gaudry was a disaster (Reeves is a good appointment)
Newbold leaving for Garvey as President

Although Newbold oversaw the threepeat he didn't ensure we had strong leadership on the Board. Hence we promoted Garvey and when this became a mess Jeff had to come back in a save the day!

Given our current predicament and having to dig in again I'd like to see Vandenberg as President, but not sure he wants it.

Fair bit of overreaction here. I think its a good thing for the club. Need turnover. Wrighty was great but a lot of his aura/reputation came from the early years. Recently he's been fleeced on O'meara, Wingard and Brad Hill trades. Taken a beaten up Scully, Patton and Vickery. Drafted Hartung. The Will Day was a Goeff Harris/Mckenzie pick. He hasn't been great IMO. Time for a new face, new ideas. It's exciting for the club. Lets do the rebuild right. Were in a pretty poor position list wise atm and Wrighty is the most responsible for that.
Pretty p!ss weak statement mate. Seriously bringing Hartung Into it for Christ sake bet you had to dig deep for that pearl?
Cant you just appreciate what the man has done for our club!

All the best Wrighty.
What an amazing contribution this man made to our club.

The HFC will bring in the very best avaiable as a replacement, I have no doubt of that.

Burgoyne
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Breust
Gunston
Smith
Stratton
Puopolo
Lake
Hale
Gibson
Suckling
Duryea
Hill
McEvoy

JOM
Tom
Chad
Lewis
Worpel
Day
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Impey
Hardwick
Sicily
DGB

I think it’s diminishing to say that McKenzie would have ‘helped’ with the DGB and Day picks - he’s been the recruitment manager since the beginning of 2018 and would be deserving of the majority of the credit/responsibility for the 2019 and 2020 draft outcomes.

Been an amazing person for the hawks and hopefully picked up a great retirement package from Collingwood, what a man!

Not overly upset, purely for the fact he was here for so long, people and organisations still need turnover for new ideas and continued accountability so let's hope the next person in can live up the standards.

This quote from Jeff does perk the ears tho...."We are the great training Club 4 the AFL"

I can sense Eddie making a huge play for Clarko in 2022...

I really enjoy listening to Adrian Caruso recruiting manager from the giants everytime he is interviewed , I wonder if list managing is something he would be looking to get into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back