Win Prizes Feel Good Inc. (Essendon Edition) - WIN A BOOK

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Essendon memory was being a part of the masses that attended the 93 Prelim.
Second half was amazing and a goal by Mercs in the 3rd quarter was the loudest I have ever heard a crowd!
(Robbo has also said on 360 that it the loudest he's ever heard too!)
Sat behind all the Carlton players who were already in the GF - They left early but were well heckled by the 'up & about' Bomber fans!

I remember being taken down to Essendon training one Wednesday afternoon back when I was a kid. I think I would have been around ten years old. I remember being in awe of just how big the players where and the fact with how close I was to them. I couldn't believe it. I just remember starring at the players having set shots for goal. I remember getting some signatures on my hat after training had finished. I also remember being ignored by one player (I honestly can't remember who it was) and looking a bit down. At that point Kevin Sheedy came up to me and asked how I was. He spoke to me for around three minutes and asked who my favourite player was. He then signed my hat and put a little smiley face on it. It made my day. I wore that hat for the next ten years.

Also, I have loved reading the stories through this thread. They have been great.
Yes I had something similar to that feeling as a kid. My old man used to work at the club so we could get into rooms here and there when we went to games, I was just in awe being near all these AFL footballers! AFL players were pretty much my definition of celebrity at the time so I was amazed.

Lloydy in change rooms.jpg

The day I met Lloydy...never seen a man so quick to pose for a photo...awesome bloke.

But my best story is the night I actually met R.S Reynolds. It was about '94 or '95 and I was living on the Gold Coast. Local supporters group held a night at the Ashmore footy club where Ricky O, Longy, Cummings and the great D. Reynolds were present. King Richard stood at the bar most of the night sipping his lemon squash as one after another fan went up to get pics and autographs. One old bloke had a giant scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings from the old days. Reynolds flicked through admiring all the photos of himself...always with that trademark smile going.

I got the great man to sign a pic I had and of course today it remains my most treasured piece of Bomber memorabilia.

The other highlight was seeing an injured Ricky Olarenshaw give a talk to the crowded room while holding a can of beer..how times have changed :)

I bought the Reynolds book a few weeks ago. An excellent read it was...every Essendon supporter should read it. As a club we were totally down and out at the time when he came to Windy Hill. 30 odd years later, after many years of success lead by the great man, we were a powerhouse again.

And Carlton rejected him. Thanks Blues!!!!

We used to always head down to Windy hill to watch training most weeks, the first part was ok, would normally just chat and have a laugh but then came goal kicking time! That was our cue to quickly run out on to napier street to try and nab any balls that would get kicked out of the ground... Waiting waiting waiting, not much action today, they must be on to us.. so we headed back in and waited on the fence as they started goal kicking, then slowly we edged onto the boundary, then onto the goal line expecting to be kicked off at any moment. But no, they let us stay on! So we are marking the balls and kicking them back out to the players! "hey mate, over ere!" yells Michael Symonds, i hit him lace out with a drop punt. Man how good is this!!! Balls are coming in and im trying to catch Sheedys eye with my soft marking hands. Bewick with a lazy arm in the air is beckoning for the ball ..sorry boris, Mercs wins this one, I load up a torp to try and reach him on the 50... got the thumbs up for Mercs.. can hardly contain my excitment.

It only lasted all of 5 minutes til some old guy ushered us off the ground but it was one of the best 5 minutes of my teens! it felt like the players trested us as equals... we were passing the footy to the players and they were calling for them like we were mates kicking in the park .. i loved that day, think about it now, would NEVER happen again.

Around ten years ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour that was inoperable (at the time) and believed to be terminal. Anyway news of this filtered (somehow) back to the club and during one of my many visits to the Chemo Day Clinic I was suddenly surprised when my two all-time faves in Lucas and Lloyd came by for a chat. Was good for a laugh and they happily took some pictures with the other 'clients' too.. I was astounded by just how polite, friendly and self-less they were to spend their own time to cheer up a supporter. Also the time they gave to everyone was just positive and uplifting.

I know the players are forced to do a number of hours, and all players are wonderful.. but for me it was a really special time because it just made things seem a little bit more bearable.

Oh and Lloydy is never short of a word about himself is he?!! :D

Mine has nothing to do with players as my childhood had me go to Melbourne only about 3 times before I started high school.

I grew up in Mt Gambier in a non-Essendon house, though thankfully the old man didn't force me down the Melbourne path. I started barracking for the Dons in '83. After the '83 GF loss, as an impressionable 7 year old I was starting to veer towards Hawthorn due to them winning and my best mate barracking for them.

The old man told me to stick tight, things would be ok.

Then one of my old man's work mates who was Essendon through and through returned from the Royal Melbourne Show and he'd bought me an Essendon show bag. It sealed my fate, and is one of those random yet simple acts of kindness that live with you forever. It was an act of someone who was part of a bigger family and wanting to make someone a part of that family to experience all it could bring. Sadly he died of cancer last year, but thanks Ray, you're a champ, and I'll be a part of the EFC family until I draw my last breath.

We used to always head down to Windy hill to watch training most weeks, the first part was ok, would normally just chat and have a laugh but then came goal kicking time! That was our cue to quickly run out on to napier street to try and nab any balls that would get kicked out of the ground... Waiting waiting waiting, not much action today, they must be on to us.. so we headed back in and waited on the fence as they started goal kicking, then slowly we edged onto the boundary, then onto the goal line expecting to be kicked off at any moment. But no, they let us stay on! So we are marking the balls and kicking them back out to the players! "hey mate, over ere!" yells Michael Symonds, i hit him lace out with a drop punt. Man how good is this!!! Balls are coming in and im trying to catch Sheedys eye with my soft marking hands. Bewick with a lazy arm in the air is beckoning for the ball ..sorry boris, Mercs wins this one, I load up a torp to try and reach him on the 50... got the thumbs up for Mercs.. can hardly contain my excitment.

It only lasted all of 5 minutes til some old guy ushered us off the ground but it was one of the best 5 minutes of my teens! it felt like the players trested us as equals... we were passing the footy to the players and they were calling for them like we were mates kicking in the park .. i loved that day, think about it now, would NEVER happen again.
Yeah.. that is what is being lost in the modern era for sure.. those moments.
What an unbelievable experience.. shows that waiting pays off.. shame Sheed's didn't see the natural talent!! :0

8985aac86d164440890921a84f45400045.jpg

Great pic this....'93 GF...the King is happy :)

Glad that you're okay now, rines. That wouldn't have bene easy to deal with :(
Worst six years of my life.. but luckily they continue to make significant leaps and bounds in medical science and here I am..

I could have also spoken about the day I met Rama when they started the Yellow Armband game.. wouldn't meet a nicer guy.. really humble but so determined.. cruel that he couldn't get the most out of his career. Just cruel.

When I was 13 years old i won a spot in the Kevin Sheedy footy camp. The competition was run in the old inside football paper/magazine.
My dad brought me to Melbourne from Swan Hill and we were trained by the likes of Tom Hafey, Paul Salmon, Adrian McAdam, Dustin Fletcher, Corey Mckernan, Rick Olarenshaw and so many more..... We all had lunch in a massive hall and I remember Kevin Sheedy coming up to me and wishing me a Happy Birthday as I had turned 13 2 days prior to the camp. He told me that me that I was just like Boris Bewick. For a young red head bombers fan it was a massive thrill to be compared to one of your favourite players by the great man Sheeds.

The story was even published in the local news paper. It was a fairly big deal in a small country town that 1 of the kids had won a spot out of just 10 available country wide.

Also during the camp my younger brother had come along to watch. My Dad was talking to Olarenshaw at lunch time on the first day and from then on Rick told my Old man that my little brother could join in with his group for the rest of the camp. My little Bro was over the moon. Considering that my brothers and dad are hawthorn supporters I thought it was a really great gesture from Rick and from that day on I realised just what a great club I had chosen to follow even though the rest of my family followed the Hawks.....

I am now 32 and still remember that camp like it was yesterday......

Hmmmm.... one that springs to mind.....

I was a young(ish) whipper snapper working his first serious job at an unnamed retail store in Highpoint. I was dutifully rushing around, duster in hand cleaning the merchandise when a pair of tallish young gents walked into the store. One of the gents asked for my help, and after two or three minutes of chatter my brain-mouth stopped working and I piped up with 'so has anyone ever told you you look like Blake Caracella?'. I received a rather bemused 'no, never' in response.

Said gent elected to buy what he was asking after, and when I took him to the counter he handed over his credit card to pay - which was of course stapled with the name MR BLAKE CARACELLA. A still silently amused Blake took his credit card slip to sign, and above his signature scribbled the words 'looks like'......

You fail Jade. You fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm.... one that springs to mind.....

I was a young(ish) whipper snapper working his first serious job at an unnamed retail store in Highpoint. I was dutifully rushing around, duster in hand cleaning the merchandise when a pair of tallish young gents walked into the store. One of the gents asked for my help, and after two or three minutes of chatter my brain-mouth stopped working and I piped up with 'so has anyone ever told you you look like Blake Caracella?'. I received a rather bemused 'no, never' in response.

Said gent elected to buy what he was asking after, and when I took him to the counter he handed over his credit card to pay - which was of course stapled with the name MR BLAKE CARACELLA. A still silently amused Blake took his credit card slip to sign, and above his signature scribbled the words 'looks like'......

You fail Jade. You fail.
That's awesome.

Only (non essendon) ex player I ever served was Lance Whitnall. He bought a 6pk of pies.

Back in '84 my life as a 7yr old kid was all over the shop, but the Essendon Football club was my 'Hall of Superheroes.' My rock.

Kick to kick in the Primary schoolyard in East Keilor was always a battle between Essendon supporters and the rest. On the weekends all that pent up excitement brought on by arguments over who's better Simon or Justin Madden could be brought to bare. The old man and I would venture every week together to the footy and stand in the outer at the Hill, where I learned every swear word I know today btw thanks to a foul mouthed Kangaroo supporting Grandmother and Skin head neck tattooed Fitzroy fan. I was in awe of the place. The sounds, the emotions, the voices on the field, I'll never forget it.

Mum and Dad weren't going too well and as an impressionable 7 yr old the effect football had on me was immense. It took my mind off the worry of Mum and Dad splitting. It took my mind off my old man coming home during the week drunk as a sailor and physically/verbally abusing my Mum, brothers or me.
Following the footy made everything worthwhile. Following my heroes made everything worthwhile. It was my penicillin and it cured everything.

One day, on a Wednesday from memory, Dad must've been feeling very guilty, on one of his rare occasions, so he decided to take me and my younger brother to Windy Hill after school. I was confused mostly because they didn't play mid week footy so why would we be going there? We got out of the car and before we'd even entered the Napier St we met Paul Salmon. Now Paul's 6'7 and to a 7 yr old he may as well have been 50ft high. My Dad started chatting with him, asked him about his knee, my younger brother said G'day but I was dumbstruck. Paul said Hello to me and all I could do was look up and stare. I couldn't move. For me this was a dream come true and inside me was going off like a fire cracker warehouse on fire. On the outside, nothing. After a few more minutes Dad thanked Paul for his time and we moved on.

Next we ran into the late Neil Clarke, who only chatted briefly, said hi to us and shook Dad's hand, again I was a stunned mullett. Then Dad took us into the old bar and members area. In there fixing a fluro light fitting was Bomber. Outside of TD and Simon Madden, Bomber was my next favourite at the time. He chatted with Dad for about 10 minutes. Could I say anything? Nope. Once Dad had said goodbye it was time for a kick of footy on the oval.
I just about wet my pants. There we were kicking for goal, scoreboard/windsock end. A few sailed through, but most missed. It was one of the most magical days in my young life.

To this day this is one of my most cherished moments of my childhood. It means even more to me now as I can appreciate what my Mum and Dad did for us. How they struggled. That no matter what happened at home , their kids came first. They weren't perfect parents. And as a Dad myself to two girls this memory helps me completely understand my father's struggles and personal demons. The Essendon football club and Windy Hill was just as much a part of my family. They helped me grow up and not worry so much.

That's why I love this club.

Worst six years of my life.. but luckily they continue to make significant leaps and bounds in medical science and here I am..

I could have also spoken about the day I met Rama when they started the Yellow Armband game.. wouldn't meet a nicer guy.. really humble but so determined.. cruel that he couldn't get the most out of his career. Just cruel.
Yes it was cruel but at the time that was the least of his worries.
Whilst he was going through his battles a friend of mines son was also going through a battle with cancer. He had Rama's photo on his wall.

Best Essendon memory was being a part of the masses that attended the 93 Prelim.
Second half was amazing and a goal by Mercs in the 3rd quarter was the loudest I have ever heard a crowd!
(Robbo has also said on 360 that it the loudest he's ever heard too!)
Sat behind all the Carlton players who were already in the GF - They left early but were well heckled by the 'up & about' Bomber fans!

I was there too, sitting amongst Crows supporters on the wing. At half time they awarded Gary Ablett with the Coleman medal and a Crow supporter sititng next to me asked me 'Who's that guy?' Weird units.

I'm ineligible for the prize, but here goes;

I was 11 years old, and there was an AFL Q&A with a mystery player from Essendon at my local library. I was sitting down, patiently waiting at the front of the line with my #5 1993 premiership jumper, collar and all, so stoked to meet a huge name, like Lloyd, Hird, Mercuri, or Lucas.

In walked Mark Bolton.

To this day, I still have fond memories of not knowing who he was, to getting excited when he managed to get a game, to laughing rapturously when he made the messiah Adam Goodes his bitch.

Multiple times.

What a champ :D

I'm ineligible for the prize, but here goes;

I was 11 years old, and there was an AFL Q&A with a mystery player from Essendon at my local library. I was sitting down, patiently waiting at the front of the line with my #5 1993 premiership jumper, collar and all, so stoked to meet a huge name, like Lloyd, Hird, Mercuri, or Lucas.

In walked Mark Bolton.

To this day, I still have fond memories of not knowing who he was, to getting excited when he managed to get a game, to laughing rapturously when he made the messiah Adam Goodes his bitch.

Multiple times.

When Goodes was in his prime.

What a champ :D

EFA

I was there too, sitting amongst Crows supporters on the wing. At half time they awarded Gary Ablett with the Coleman medal and a Crow supporter sititng next to me asked me 'Who's that guy?' Weird units.

I was there too, behind the goals in the Olympic, i dont think i fully appreciated the gravity of what i was seeing - most of me wanted to get out and start lining up at windy hill for the gf tickets. but i second.. or third the mercuri goal.. what a sound! even muffles on the tv still

Back in '84 my life as a 7yr old kid was all over the shop, but the Essendon Football club was my 'Hall of Superheroes.' My rock.

Kick to kick in the Primary schoolyard in East Keilor was always a battle between Essendon supporters and the rest.

i gotta ask a weird question....

I went to primary school pretty much next to you, at Milleara. We played all the normal games, cappers chasey, but we also played a game called 'niddrie' which i later found out when going to another school was just downball. i always wondered we we the only school in the world that called in niddrie? or was it specific to our area?

i gotta ask a weird question....

I went to primary school pretty much next to you, at Milleara. We played all the normal games, cappers chasey, but we also played a game called 'niddrie' which i later found out when going to another school was just downball. i always wondered we we the only school in the world that called in niddrie? or was it specific to our area?

Keilor Heights is where I went. We never called it Niddrie. Downball it was. Maybe it was just a Milleara thing. You were heavily influenced by those St Peters w***ers after all.

Keilor Heights is where I went. We never called it Niddrie. Downball it was. Maybe it was just a Milleara thing. You were heavily influenced by those St Peters ******s after all.

we were such a pissant little school! like little as 300 kids in total, pretty good now i think about it though, better than being chockers and getting no attention.... did you play junors locally? i played at avondale, wonder if we crossed paths - i was in Lloyds team, i guess youd rememebr that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back