figured out the reason why Sheehan is a good reporter

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE2000

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2000
the pub
no, it's not for his brilliant opinions that every person who follows football agrees with.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Its for his Charisma.

Before you say, what, NO, that tosser doesn't have any charisma.

But the definition of charisma, is a person who provokes a widespread reaction from the public, whether it be a good reaction OR bad reaction.

People hate Sheehan, theres no doubting that, and they hate his views even more.

But people hate him so much that every time you see an article written by Sheehan, they just ave to read it, just to see how stupid he can get.

The newspaper doesn't care whether people like him or not, they just care whether people read his stuff, which they do.

its the only reason hes still in a job - because people react to his views. Same with Jeff Wells (a sydney reporter) and that guy from Queensland who had a go at all the AFL fans for the comlpaints.

------------------
Join the big footy tipping competition at Footy Tips
Join the BigFooty Cricket Cup
visit the Easts Cricket Club
The ulitimate statistics reference

[This message has been edited by WCE2000 (edited 28 March 2001).]

Hmmm! According to Webster's:

2 a : a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) b : a special magnetic charm or appeal <the charisma of a popular actor>

Not sure that Mike fits into this category!

------------------
TigerFury.net - Independant Richmond Tigers website

Originally posted by CJH:
Hmmm! According to Webster's:

2 a : a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) b : a special magnetic charm or appeal <the charisma of a popular actor>

Not sure that Mike fits into this category!

OK, OK, change the in my post, change the word charismatic, with the word provocative, which is exactly what the paper wants.

To the fans, he's not a good reporter, but to the newpaper, he is.

Your quote "The newspaper doesn't care whether people like him or not, they just care whether people read his stuff, which they do." explains not only the things that you note, but also the content of the articles.

In other words, his top 50 is chosen not necessarily on who are the best footballers, but what order of the list will sell papers.

Similarly, predictions for ladder finish this year. If these Melbourne-based journos nominate a Melbourne side for the spoon, they immediately disinterest a slice of their potential readership.

Hence, universal rule is: pick interstate sides for at least the bottom two or three places. More if you can get away with it.

Credibility is not essential. Popular appeal in Melbourne is.

exactly, i don't think Buckley's decision at number 7 was really what Mike Sheehan was thinking. I may be wrong, but i doubt it.

Any person, who looking, not get carcarated by the public would pick Buckley in their top 2 or 3.

But, Sheehan's aim is to be provactive, in from what i've heard, he's decisioin to pick Buckley as 7 caused quite a stir within the pie ranks.

exactly WCE i respect Sheehan in one sense that he raises issues which are often true yet never mentioned because some fans can't see one bad thing with their club or have no footy brain to understand the complex issues he craps on about! Bagging Journos means they are sparking the right reation from yaz!

sPiDeR eVeRiTt and RiCkY oLaReNsHaW
~kewlest players round!!!

Shehan lost me when he wrote a pro-merger document masquerading as journalism before the dawks vote back in '96. Like the elephant, we never forget !
But prhaps if he has 'negative charisma' perhaps that helped the No Merger vote. Between him and good old Jeffrey theymay have boosted the vote more !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back