Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Fin just has to play a full game. Starting sub in two matches is ordinary. I think the sub made last night should be the selection this week. Out: Oleg, In: Fin

Poor selection and poor man management.

Poor selection and poor man management.
He'll get some full games, but I think we'll find out why they went with the blokes who'd at least done it before. I just don't think he's that good. The way everyone is carrying on, you'd think that we'd left out Joel Selwood at his peak.

He'll get some full games, but I think we'll find out why they went with the blokes who'd at least done it before. I just don't think he's that good. The way everyone is carrying on, you'd think that we'd left out Joel Selwood at his peak.
I think it’s more the fact that he’s being kept out by experienced players who have been s**t, for no apparent reason

I think the point is we just don;t know as he hasn't been given a full opportunity yet. If he had the same opportunity as some others (looking at AJ, for example) then we would be better informed.

I think the point is we just don;t know as he hasn't been given a full opportunity yet. If he had the same opportunity as some others (looking at AJ, for example) then we would be better informed.
We also didn't know that Mitchell, Sidey, Nick, Crisp and JDG would play one of their worst games of their careers.

I don't mind that we've backed in the blokes who've gotten it done to turn their form around. But yes it's time to give him a full run now. From the last two press conferences, I got the impression that McRae wanted to play him this week, but got out-voted at selection.

I don’t think he’s that good either. But I think it’s ridiculous from the club to hype him up all pre season, promise to play him more, give him an early extension then play him as the sub twice in a row when the senior players around him are failing.

We also didn't know that Mitchell, Sidey, Nick, Crisp and JDG would play one of their worst games of their careers.

I don't mind that we've backed in the blokes who've gotten it done to turn their form around. But yes it's time to give him a full run now. From the last two press conferences, I got the impression that McRae wanted to play him this week, but got out-voted at selection.
Many would say that the 4 bolded have shown to be down on form the previous 2 games.

Apart from Nick, the rest of the list isn’t a surprise.

We should have traded him if that’s the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have traded him if that’s the case.
For what? Pick 54? He had no trade value, but we clearly think he's pretty close and might become a good player, but have chosen to back in some blokes who have been fantastic footballers over a very long period of time who were good enough to win a premierhip 4 games ago. I'm not seeing the justification for angst over this.

They've also shown that they've been stars over a decade or more. Is 2 s**t games enough to cull them? I wouldn't think so.
Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is to think outside the box, especially in relation to team selections for the early rounds this year.

It's a balancing act in backing stars/role players, or dropping someone after one poor game. Coach's conundrum.
Yeah it is and if they get it right they get roses. Get it wrong and they get abused.

There wasn't a known right answer. They made a call. We lost. Personally, I don't think a full game for Finn would have made a difference for the team's chances or for Finn's development and likelihood to become a senior player, so I'm not concerned at all.

Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is to think outside the box, especially in relation to team selections for the early rounds this year.
Sometimes it can be the worst thing too. Many of Baldrick's cunning plans aren't cunning at all- although they were moreso in Season 1 when he was the smart one and Blackadder was a moron. Hopefully McRae and Voss haven't done a role change like that.

Yeah it is and if they get it right they get roses. Get it wrong and they get abused.

There wasn't a known right answer. They made a call. We lost. Personally, I don't think a full game for Finn would have made a difference for the team's chances or for Finn's development and likelihood to become a senior player, so I'm not concerned at all.
Finn doesn't need to be the difference in a team sport. Just a case of stick with the past or see what the future can look like?

Sometimes it can be the worst thing too. Many of Baldrick's cunning plans aren't cunning at all- although they were moreso in Season 1 when he was the smart one and Blackadder was a moron. Hopefully McRae and Voss haven't done a role change like that.
I don't think many AFL coaches think outside the box...but that's another topic.

I don't think many AFL coaches think outside the box...but that's another topic.

Do you blame them? A couple of losses straight after a fantastic first two seasons and the supporters are up in arms because a Brownlow medalist who nearly won the Norm Smith 4 games ago is preferred to a bloke who has played 12 games in 4 years, and the press are all in on how the game plan and coaching sux...

Last edited:
For what? Pick 54? He had no trade value, but we clearly think he's pretty close and might become a good player, but have chosen to back in some blokes who have been fantastic footballers over a very long period of time who were good enough to win a premierhip 4 games ago. I'm not seeing the justification for angst over this.

For his career prospects. Give him an opportunity somewhere else if we don’t rate him. It’s better than giving him 30 mins a week.

Do you blame them? A couple of losses straight after a fantastic first two seasons and the supporters are up in arms because a Brownlow medalist who nearly won the Norm Smith 4 games ago is preferred to a bloke who has played 12 games in 4 years, and the press are all in on the game plan and coaching sux...
NQR at the moment with the coaches and the playing group.
The last two seasons are in the past.

I don't care about the press. I don't think the coaches care about the press.

So far, it seems the gameplan isn't working...is that a personnel issue?

Anyhow, I'm just posting what I would have done selection wise:
Frampton at FB
Dean in Howe's spot (at least in Opening Round)
Macrae for Mitchell (based on earlier start to the season)
Reef for AJ
H Harrison for Elliott (based on earlier start to the season)
and possibly
Noble for Marcov

NQR at the moment with the coaches and the playing group.
The last two seasons are in the past.

I don't care about the press. I don't think the coaches care about the press.

So far, it seems the gameplan isn't working...is that a personnel issue?

Anyhow, I'm just posting what I would have done selection wise:
Frampton at FB
Dean in Howe's spot (at least in Opening Round)
Macrae for Mitchell (based on earlier start to the season)
Reef for AJ
H Harrison for Elliott (based on earlier start to the season)
and possibly
Noble for Marcov

Yep and we would have still lost as our good players haven't been good and our systems are being covered off. And me and others would think the coaches are insane and be whinging at them for not playing Elliott, Mitchell and Howe.

Elliott? Really? He's playing well. Mitchell and Howe are due for a spell though - they're in horrible form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back