Toast Firrito

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he just needed a rest.. we should retain him next year... dont promise him regular games... one of the few that can lay a solid tackle....
1 year contract as a depth player....

He will get another year if he wants it, I'm sure. And yes, he was in need of a rest, he was carrying niggles into games. Having said that, if you declare yourself fit, you have no excuses.

all I know is, after today it has made it even more difficult how we find three players to delist at the end of the year, under AFL rules.

Under the rules, you can delist someone and then re-draft that same player. There's no rule to say you must select 3 new players.

Melbourne didn't give a wahoo about who they hurt on their way and disrespected many older players, it's done serious damage to their culture. Basically says to players you will get no respect even if you're a club 200 gamer, so leave for a better deal whenever you want.

THIS.

We are still the 15th or 16th youngest and most inexperienced list. Our list managers are well aware of the dangers of dismissing the value of experience.

too easy, we can delist AK, Drew and Boomer, bring Luke in and then just add Drew and Boomer back to the senior squad and AK as a rookie. ;)

Would Drew and Boomer last until our picks in the second and third round? In today's youth obsessed world, probably.

That is a very, very ordinary post. I think Spud has been a terrific servant of our club over the years and to dismiss him like that is way out of line. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Show a bit of respect.

I remember going to a couple of sponsors nights when Simmo was still playing and I well remember the contemptuous look he gave a few of when we told him we were from Big Footy. He loathed the place because of comments like this and little wonder.

Yesterday he was very good and I agree with Saintly31, he has not been anywhere near as bad as some here would suggest.

Spot on Horace. Pretty much always make great calls and very measured about it (even though we disagree sometimes).

Despite the fear of speaking for others, you are a very valued contributor :thumbsu:

Never said he wasn't a great player for the club, and I don't dismiss him. But there are now better players than him.

I don't think that is a lack of respect, it is just fact.

Also clubs are a business, & they don't give a wahoo who they hurt on their way. I don't agree with it, it is just a fact of life for an AFL player.

I disagree completely with that. Read your original post.

whatever!! he is gone.

So many better.

In my opinion that is disrespectful and dismissive. Go and have a talk to Simmo and see what he thinks of that sort of attitude to a player, any player and in the case of Spud someone who has given everything for our club.

Clubs with good culture do not treat their players disrespectfully. Ours is a club with great culture and if the people at the top think that Spud might not be worthy of retaining his place on the list, they will discuss it with thim and explain it to him in a reasonable manner.

Now read Breeno's post.

Melbourne didn't give a wahoo about who they hurt on their way and disrespected many older players, it's done serious damage to their culture. Basically says to players you will get no respect even if you're a club 200 gamer, so leave for a better deal whenever you want.

Does that not reinforce just how damaging a club's action can be when they treat older players with disrespect? Green and McDonald are two players who the "Go Dees" got rid of without considering the consequences of their actions. Green "retired" but in reality he was made unwelcome.

Franklin's 5 goals:
1. On Atley
2. On Delaney (lol, from an undefendable short pass mind you, not Delaney's man)
3. Pushed Spud in back
4. Hansen free against (to be fair he made up for it with his give to Roughy in the goalsquare:rolleyes: )
5. Legally pushed Spud under ball, very good goal.

The point Franklin kicked was touched in the goal square by Firrito.
Franklin took his few opportunities (he can play) and kicked very well.
Firrito runs in straight lines and tackles hard.
Goes around again for mine.

Next week: Out- Firrito In- Kennedy :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come back Spud.

Your club needs you.

He did come back in a part-time role to coach all the multicultural and indigenous talent we unearth on a yearly basis in our abundantly rich NGA zones of Docklands, Southbank, Melbourne CBD, Hobart, Launceston and Devenport.

He did come back in a part-time role to coach all the multicultural and indigenous talent we unearth on a yearly basis in our abundantly rich NGA zones of Docklands, Southbank, Melbourne CBD, Hobart, Launceston and Devenport.

Yeah, I know mate, I had a chat with him earlier in the year at training. Such an unassuming modest sort of a bloke, but fear not, he's as loopy as the most hardcore among us when it comes to North.

This is the sort of bloke that you HAVE to have around the club, and if he ever ran for a board position, I would hand out how to vote cards for him.

Yeah, I know mate, I had a chat with him earlier in the year at training. Such an unassuming modest sort of a bloke, but fear not, he's as loopy as the most hardcore among us when it comes to North.

This is the sort of bloke that you HAVE to have around the club, and if he ever ran for a board position, I would hand out how to vote cards for him.

For what it's worth, he's worked in the corporate sector so would have some idea of how to handle himself in that environment.

Archer, love him and all, has some heart in the right place passion but not sure he's composed enough in administrative situations based on media work. Might be wrong.

I don't care so much for "corporate" stuff when it comes to the board and someone like Spud or Arch, because you know they will not compromise club culture.

Footy club boards aren't just about corporate stuff. FFS, we have a sociologist on our one.

I don't care so much for "corporate" stuff when it comes to the board and someone like Spud or Arch, because you know they will not compromise club culture.

Footy club boards aren't just about corporate stuff. FFS, we have a sociologist on our one.

You may not, but you can't just turn up and grunt and cry dealing with stakeholders and expect to be effective.

Kennett, McGuire or Costa have barely kicked a ball between them (excluding North U19s for Eddie) but know how to conduct themselves in that environment.

Any former player needs a certain level of decorum to contribute in the same scenario. I wish it was different but think that's the way it is.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could wind back the clock and have Spud going out to play for us once again. Never ever shirked a contest, always flew the flag, just a wonderful shinboner. Funny that this thread should re-emerge today, just after I spent some time during Saturday's game, wishing he (and Arch) were out there once again.

Ironically I mentioned how I missed Firrito in a thread over the weekend when in "nostalgia mode".

When not giving away 50s for inexplicable brain fades, genuine Shinboner, underrated defender and loved the bloke.

Arguably deserved another year on form when delisted, but accepted the decision perfectly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back