Health & Fitness Fitness/Sport Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

See above :)

Nice work mate,

I was looking at joining cross fit gym near us but the cost seemed a bit too much for me at this point. Something id like to try at some stage in the next year or two.

Let me tell you about Vega I mean The Crossfit Games.

FINDING THE FITTEST ON EARTH

The CrossFit Games are the world’s premier test to find the Fittest on Earth™. They are world-renowned as a grueling test for the toughest athletes on Earth as well as a thrilling experience for spectators. Since its inception in 2007, the CrossFit Games have become “one of the fastest growing sports in America,” according to Forbes

THE GAMES ARE A THREE-STAGE JOURNEY.
The Games season is broken up into three stages. The first stage is the Open. This five-week, five-workout competition is held in the winter in CrossFit affiliates and garage gyms around the world. Workouts are released online each Thursday, and athletes have until the following Monday to submit their scores. Anyone who's at least 14 years old can sign up, and join in the first stage of the CrossFit Games season.

The top athletes from each of the 18 worldwide regions qualify for the second stage of the competition—Regionals. The Regionals are live, three-day competitions that are held May through June. Top athletes from two regions combine and compete at one of nine Regionals to earn qualifying spots for the CrossFit Games.

The number of spots to the Games is 40 men, 40 women and 40 teams. The North American, European and Australasian Regionals each send their top 5 from each division. The Meridian Regional sends four and Latin America will send one from each division.

The season culminates in the 2018 Reebok CrossFit Games. At this point in the season, the field has been whittled down from hundreds of thousands of athletes in the Open to the world's fittest 40 men, 40 women, 40 teams, 80 teenagers, and 240 masters. The CrossFit Games rank the world's fittest, and determine who is the Fittest on Earth.

A key element to a fair test of fitness is the unknown and unknowable. Athletes cannot train for what they do not know. At each CrossFit Games, the athletes engage in a series of challenges unknown to them until right before the competition. The combination of highly trained athletes and unknown events makes for an explosive mix.

blah blah blah

So for week 1 the work out was:
Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
8 toes-to-bars
10 dumbbell hang clean and jerks (Men use 22.5 kg dumbbell, Women use 15 kg dumbbell)
14-cal. row (Men)/12-cal. row (Women)

The scaled version replaces toes to bars with hanging knee raises and reduces the dumbbell weight to 15kg for men and 10kg for women. I managed 8 full rounds and 18 reps, for a total score of 274.
I know you think you have but

Dumb it down further please. :D

I know you think you have but

Dumb it down further please. :D

Crossfit is a fitness movement that originated in the US and has since spread around the world. It's focus is on functional movement/strength and has more of community attitude than I've seen at any other gym I've been to. Crossfit gyms are knows as "box"s and to run an affiliate you have to pass a coaching course (which they make money off of course).

What makes it special? For me it was a combination of things. The community attitude - no one is looked down on for being less fit/strong etc than anyone else, which is something I've experienced at other places. Workouts are scaled to what you are capable of achieving, Can't to strict pullups? No problem, use a band if you need to. Still can't? Do ring rows. Same with other movements. There's a mix of gymastics, (olympic) weightlifting, cardio (running, rower, bike) and body weight movements, so there should be something for everyone. I'm not as good at cardio/gymnastic stuff as others, but tend to be better at strength based movements.

So the Games is a three stage comp, starting with "The Open", which is open (!!) to everyone in the world to compete in (costs US$20 to register). There's a different workout each week (with scaled (ie easier) options for those of us who aren't "elite") for five weeks. You can do it at a "box" or on your own (have to submit a video). At the end of five weeks, the top 30 men and women from each region (there are 8 or so I think) are invited to the second stage, the Regionals.

The Regionals are run over three days and have six workouts (no scaling!) that are significantly harder than the open workouts. The top 5 men and women from each region qualify for the third stage, The Games. These are held over 4 days in the US and consisted of 13 events in 2017. The winner of the Games is given the title "Fittest Man/Woman on Earth", which is a bit wanky IMO but hey who am I to argue, especially as the top two women in 2017 were Aussies.

18.1 (the Open workouts are named for the year and week they occurred, so 16.5 is the fifth week of the 2016 Open) is the first workout of the 2018 Open and consists of a 20 minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds and repetitions As Possible) of:
RX (or as prescribed)
8 toes to bar
Dumbbell hang clean and jerks (22.5kg men /15kg women)
14/12-cal. row

For those who can't do that, you can scale (ie make it easier):
Scaled
8 knees to chest
Dumbbell hang clean and jerks (15kg men /10kg women)
14/12-cal. row

Movements
Toes to bar

From a dead hang on a pullup bar, bring the toes up vertically to touch the pull up bar between your hands (at the same time).

Knees to chest
In the hanging knee-raise, the arms and hips must be fully extended at the bottom with the feet off the ground, and the feet must be brought back behind the bar and the rest of the body. An overhand, underhand or splitgrip are all permitted. At the top, the athlete will raise his or her torso so the chest is upright and the hands touch the toes or the dumbbells. AbMats are permitted. At the top of the repetition, the athlete must raise the knees above the height of the hips.

Dumbbell hang clean and jerks:
After the dumbbell is lifted off the floor, the athlete must pause with the dumbbell at the hang position, either at his or her side or between the legs. From there, the athlete may perform a muscle clean, power clean, squat clean or split clean, so long as the dumbbell comes up and makes contact with the shoulder before being lifted overhead. Once at the shoulder, the athlete may get the dumbbell overhead any way he or she chooses. Shoulder press, push press, push jerk and split jerk are all permitted.
RX Men use 22.5 kg DB, women use 15 kg DB.
Scaled Men use 15 kg DB, women use 10 kg DB.

14/12-cal. row
On a Concept 2 (or similar) rowing machine the monitor on the rower must be set to zero at the beginning of each row. The athlete or the judge may reset the monitor. The athlete must stay seated on the rower until the monitor reads 14 / 12 calories.

More info

Riiiight now I understand.

Its a cult. ;)

Nah seriously cheers makes more sense.

There are those Beerfish that think it is :D. One of the ladies at the gym I went to told the following joke just after I'd started. I didn't get it then, but I do know.

A vegan and a cross-fitter walk into a bar. Everyone knows this as it's the first thing both of them say.

Riiiight now I understand.

Its a cult. ;)

Nah seriously cheers makes more sense.
"Movement" or cult. Potato/Potarto.

But seriously, as far as culty operations go, it's a pretty healthy one ;)

"Movement" or cult. Potato/Potarto.

But seriously, as far as culty operations go, it's a pretty healthy one ;)

The hatchet job it had done to it in regards to injuries was a pretty thorough one in this regard, many people I speak with will recite back to me how dangerous it is etc.

Pretty low fitness level. Use to play footy but once I got married and metabolism slowed, I ballooned to 90kg (use to be 70kg) for my height it's a worry.

Try and eat healthy but being a single income family and 2 kids, makes it hard to find time to prepare and eat healthier.

Anyway I looked into Ultimate You's 9kg in 6 week challenge. The website says its free. Me being sceptical called them to find that it isn't free. $497 to do the challenge. You get that back IF you stick to the program and lose 9kg in the 6 weeks.

Feeling deflated as if it was cheaper I would have jumped on it. But cant find that much $$$ in 2 weeks.

Dave if you hadnt seen them they actually have 15 and 16 games on netflix.

Pretty amazing to see the top level. Though the cynic in me questions PED use in a comp like that.
The amount of volume is incredible

I watched this on YouTube recently. Basically if you want to lose weight it's all about intake (ie what you eat) as you control 100% of the calories IN versus about 30% of the calories out.

Fitness is however the best thing you can do for your health (ie lower blood pressure, less fat etc)

Dave if you hadnt seen them they actually have 15 and 16 games on netflix.

Oooh wifey is not going to be pleased.

Pretty amazing to see the top level. Though the cynic in me questions PED use in a comp like that.
The amount of volume is incredible

No doubt there are some on the gear, one of last years Pac regionals tested positive. The volumes are nuts however I’ve seen firsthand how hard the guys who don’t make regionals train so it doesn’t overly surprise me. At the grass roots level I’ve been exposed to everyone seems pretty genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched this on YouTube recently. Basically if you want to lose weight it's all about intake (ie what you eat) as you control 100% of the calories IN versus about 30% of the calories out.

Fitness is however the best thing you can do for your health (ie lower blood pressure, less fat etc)

Yep, when you bust a gut to burn 100 cals on the rower and then find out that’s the equivalent to a glass of wine it changes your
perspective a bit

Oooh wifey is not going to be pleased.

No doubt there are some on the gear, one of last years Pac regionals tested positive. The volumes are nuts however I’ve seen firsthand how hard the guys who don’t make regionals train so it doesn’t overly surprise me. At the grass roots level I’ve been exposed to everyone seems pretty genuine.

Yeah they have a heap of docos on it. One on Froning which was great.

Im waiting on them putting on 17 so i can watch the aussie chick.

Yeah i have no doubt some are on something which im happy with. Seeing the absolute willpower of some of them to do what they do is just as entertaining as their feats of physical strength or endurance.

A friend of mine (who presents specialty certs for CrossFit) thinks Glassman read a book on cults and then worked out what he could apply it to and came up with CrossFit that way.
Definitely some cultishness about it but it's not horrible like some other legit cults.
A lot of powerlifting gyms have the same community atmosphere, you just tend not to hear as much about them in the public eye.

Well I've gone and signed myself up for Tough Mudder for later in the year.

Don't know if it was a mistake or not, ive never done any obstacle course stuff but coming out of Summer something was needed as a goal to work towards. Anyone done any of the obstacle stuff before that can offer any insight?

In Sydney for the Crossfit (Shutup beerfish ) regionals comp. **** me there is some talent here. If only I was 20 and single.......alas I’m not so

Goodluck mate. Let us know how you go.

Lol, should clarify, here to watch, not compete. I’m noooooowhere near that level.

No offence but that makes a little more sense ;)

Ill change the message - enjoy yourself.

No offence but that makes a little more sense ;)

Ill change the message - enjoy yourself.

Heh, no offence taken mate. Good time being had by all. Except the Chinese bloke who cramped up something wicked during a 3 mile run

have wanted to do a challenging walk for a while now, me and the family quite often do 10km walks on a weekend but the kids don't have much staying power which kind of frustrates me and the lady because we like to take it up a notch where possible.

We once did an 80km walk in Spain over the space of a week or so which was a good grind but in the end it was only around 10km a day, but while carrying tents and the like still a bit of a challenge.

Enter the Oxfam trailwalker.

https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/melbourne/trail/

A challenging walk for charity, to help with child poverty, a good cause. Teams of 4, 100km in 36 hours. The trail looks nice and coincidently enough ends very close to our house.

My rough maths makes that 3km per hour but im sure you'd have a rest/sleep stop in between.

Anyhow, if it were my preference id prefer a little jog walk pattern, I actually find it easier to slowly jog than walk - but in the end you have to go as slow as your slowest team member and im sure my missus aint jogging. She will grind all day and night though, a real trooper when she walks.

and there is some nice early inclines over the dandenongs too. Maybe best walking those and jogging the flats.

anyhow, point of the post - fitness heads, suggested training for this type of thing? Just build up weekend walks? I mean its not an aerobic feat, more a body fatigue thing id reckon.. and a mental battle.

anyhow, what do you reckon?

not something you would just rock up and do, does it need a 6 month plan to prepare?

I did the old trail, I did very little training for it and knocked it off in about 26 hours, slept for 5.

I wouldn't recommend following my lead.

My advice is have a good support crew, the food options provided by the event are absolute rubbish so be prepared in that way.

And if your team is like mine have reserves. Cant start with walk with less than 4 and none of my original teammates made it to the start line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back