Fix-ture

Remove this Banner Ad

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not a thread designed to be some sort of excuse for Carlton’s poor season or a criticism of Richmond’s success, the two teams are merely being compared as an example to illustrate how head scratching and fickle the AFL’s equalisation attempts are.

By round 11 Carlton, a team who was bottom 4 last year:

•will have played the entire current top 8. (*Based on an assumption North get up over Freo tomorrow)
•played 6 of last years top 8
•played 4 games outside of Melbourne.

In the same time, the reigning premier Richmond:

•Played 5 of the current top 8
•played 3 of last years top 8
•played 2 games outside of Melbourne

The AFL are pumping up ‘equalisation’ but a bottom 4 team in the first half of the season have played double the finalists and double the games outside Melbourne as the reigning premier? Seems odd.

This is not a thread designed to be some sort of excuse for Carlton’s poor season or a criticism of Richmond’s success, they are merely examples to illustrate how head scratching and fickle the AFL’s equalisation attempts are.

By round 11 Carlton, a team who was bottom 4 last year:

•will have played the entire current top 8. (*Based on an assumption North get up over Freo tomorrow)
•played 6 of last years top 8
•played 4 games outside of Melbourne.

In the same time, the reigning premier Richmond:

•Played 5 of the current top 8
•played 3 of last years top 8
•played 2 games outside of Melbourne

The AFL are pumping up ‘equalisation’ but a bottom 4 team in the first half of the season have played double the finalists and double the games outside Melbourne as the reigning premier? Seems odd.

Assessing the fixture half way through the year can lead to false conclusions.

But Richmond's fixture (not the "draw") will put an * over their eventual back-to-back if they achieve it. The season for the premier is supposed to be an ordeal of repeatedly facing the top 6 teams... it is supposed to be a battle of attrition.

The Tigers don't have to press their claims during the H&A season.....they will have easily sewn up a home final. Not how it is supposed to be.

I still don’t get why it was changed from playing every team once before playing the first 6 or so teams you played against to finish the year.

I’m pretty sure we play Richmond twice in 6 weeks before even playing Freo this year which strikes me as odd

Edit: removed Brisbane, we play them the week before the tigers rematch

Last edited:
Yes - The AFL orchestrated some elaborate scheme to see Carlton fail.

Why didnt you do this in the context of a 22 round season? Why selectively choose only the first half of the season, by that same virtue could you not just pick the second half of a season and compare that instead?

That being said, I do agree with the general notion of the thread. Nobody believes the fixture is designed for parity and competitive balance and the AFL is only kidding themselves if they use that as a pretext. It's always been done for maximising attendance and just for general convenience really.
I genuinely believe the AFL were actually trying to help Carlton with exposure as they falsely believed Carlton would come good this season. They didnt, and now you cry foul they have to play good teams. Look on the bright side, you'll play s**t teams on the back end of the season.

Yes - The AFL orchestrated some elaborate scheme to see Carlton fail.

Why didnt you do this in the context of a 22 round season? Why selectively choose only the first half of the season, by that same virtue could you not just pick the second half of a season and compare that instead?

That being said, I do agree with the general notion of the thread. Nobody believes the fixture is designed for parity and competitive balance and the AFL is only kidding themselves if they use that as a pretext. It's always been done for maximising attendance and just for general convenience really.
I genuinely believe the AFL were actually trying to help Carlton with exposure as they falsely believed Carlton would come good this season. They didnt, and now you cry foul they have to play good teams. Look on the bright side, you'll play s**t teams on the back end of the season.

Nice that you’ve basically missed the entire premise of the OP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boo hoo,we get the same treatment as the other 5 teams in the top 6 from 2017 just in different order,it obviously means we have a tougher end,
Inform bombers who were suppose to be top 8
Port away
Geelong
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS Away

so after those 6 straight weeks can i come on and whinge its not fair we play 6 tough teams in a row?

Carlton's last 11 games of the season;
3 games against last seasons top 8
3 games outside melbourne

Richmond's last 11 games of the season;
7 games against last season top 8
3 games outside melbourne

I dont hear any outrage about this from you. But do continue have a whinge.

You do have a point with regard to travel though, but Ive already addressed AFL shitty fixturing.

Boo hoo,we get the same treatment as the other 5 teams in the top 6 from 2017 just in different order,it obviously means we have a tougher end,
Inform bombers who were suppose to be top 8
Port away
Geelong
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS Away

so after those 6 straight weeks can i come on and whinge its not fair we play 6 tough teams in a row?

No because theoretically in an equalised league, you would expect the top team to play all the other top teams twice. You should have two 8 week spells where you are playing last years top half in a row.

Yet you play 11 games for the whole season against last years finalists. Carlton play 10.

You play 5 games outside melbourne, Carlton play 6

Can’t see any advantage given to the Blues over Richmond regarding the draw.

Also having bottom four sides have exceedingly difficult first half of season can lead to all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
There's been Fix-ture for 10+ years ffs nothing new, the fixture is a "What makes the most money" type of deal, of course it doesn't go all to plan to how they want it as the nature of the game there seem to be 2 bolters/sliders per year but they do their best.

If a top 6 earning team is struggling they will be fixtured accordingly, "blockbusters" between 2 high earning teams etc.

They have all the viewership stat's all on computer year to year they know what makes money, if you don't want to disappointed support a club that earns top 4 type of dollar for the AFL.

Yeah pretty much this ^^. Dwelling on the fixture and enjoying the competition are basically incompatible, it's far and away the most ****ed thing about the game. Threads like this are a dime a dozen and always remind me of this fact.

The AFL has always managed to give the premier a tough draw against top teams... this is the first year i can remember that they have not.

No because theoretically in an equalised league, you would expect the top team to play all the other top teams twice.

Theoretically in a fair sporting contest, the AFL would not attempt to handicap the competition like a horse race based on last year's form, and all eighteen clubs would receive a fixture of as close to equal difficulty as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back