Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
yes I do mean toast not roast.

Now I know not many here will agree with me on this one, but I do he often get an unfair run at things on here, yes I do understand were people are coming from with their thoughts.

We have to remember two things here, he has only played 31 matches as we know bigger guys need 40-60 games under their belt to feel right about themselves.

He is also our most experienced key back ( not counting Morris) that says a lot about our key back stocks.

He is a depth player, this is his role within the team and he doesn't have an ego about it, when he's time is up he goes back to the VFL and continues to do his job. These type of players are important to have on our list, he knows the systems and know what's expected of him from the coaches. Also we do need players on base salary to help sign players like Hurley.

The thing I want to bring to people's attention is how sore he has been, it's been weeks since he has trained with the guys, I think with all the injuries that have been happening around him getting up every week to play is something that gets lost a bit.

Fletcher is also contracted for next year and I think he will continue to play his role for the club with little fuss.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very lucky to have him available, without him, well we'd have been in much worse state. He is a bit underrated with his ability to get a hand in or a punch in to just spoil the forward.

I'd like to see him really bulk up, he's actually very tall, but he doesn't look it. Some more bulk would see him much better equiped to take on the gorillas. Not sure if he can, but if he can he should.

People forget he has serious shoulder injuries last season which can really halt development. 31 games is barely a full season!
I can't believe the s**t he cops on here and FB just because he isn't turning it on like Bont.

We are extremely blessed that lots of our kids are playing well in their first seasons. Some just take time

Keep it up Sid

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I use to be a fan of Roberts. Showed good signs a couple of years ago but to be fair he has struggled a lil this season. Hasn't been as bad as some make but he does need to work on alot of things also.
Agree there are a few things he needs to work on, that does come with time, time that bevo is giving him has played 24 from 31 under bevo

There is a good reason we are chasing key backman, cause Roberts is not up to it and list management know he never will be, not strong enough, suspect decision making under heat and is far too slow, he is depth option and will never be anything more.

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
There is a good reason we are chasing key backman, cause Roberts is not up to it and list management know he never will be, not strong enough, suspect decision making under heat and is far too slow, he is depth option and will never be anything more.
I think this is what I pointed out in the OP, he also knows that is all his role for the team will be. Imo players like this are very much needed on the list, they are cheap, don't have an ego and know their role.

This year we have been hit with injuries, the fact that he is sore and not training goes a little unnoticed.

If we get Hurley, Adams stays fit and both Collins and cordy develop, Roberts doesn't get a look in and plays VFL and that's fine.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

All clubs are chasing a key backman regardless of the personnel they currently have. Offer Hurley to the Hawks they will take him.

As for FR he does his job and with 31 games under his belt he is still in nappies. Also plays in a side that has had much of its back line destroyed by injuries compounding his development.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fletcher Roberts is like the ugly duckling that is slowly evolving
into a beautiful swan. He reminds me of past champions of the
club like Tom Williams, Mark Austin and Cameron Wight such a
vast array of talent. I first thought he had a hyphenated name
which is a sign of true greatness, but alas that was wrong.
There are plenty of clubs out there that would love having
Fletcher Roberts on their list, Port Melbourne, Frankston and
North Ballarat just to name three and that's not mentioning
the NEAFL, SANFL or WAFL truly a man in demand.

In all seriousness good on you Fletcher Roberts anyone who
plays AFL is a winner in my eyes and very deserving of much
fanfare and applause.:thumbsu::footy:

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very lucky to have him available, without him, well we'd have been in much worse state. He is a bit underrated with his ability to get a hand in or a punch in to just spoil the forward.

I'd like to see him really bulk up, he's actually very tall, but he doesn't look it. Some more bulk would see him much better equiped to take on the gorillas. Not sure if he can, but if he can he should.
extra bulk would more likely make him a slower player, he'd be better focusing on attaining gymnast like core strength. This way he shouldn't be bumped off of the ball so easily & it may help his game in other ways to.

Rookie

Premiership Player
May 12, 2004
Globetrotting
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does his job week in, week out to the best of his ability. More importantly he plays well within our system and structures. He's no star but he is the perfect depth option for our club. I hope he stays on at the club over the next few years as we challenge because you always need reliable, solid backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
extra bulk would more likely make him a slower player, he'd be better focusing on attaining gymnast like core strength. This way he shouldn't be bumped off of the ball so easily & it may help his game in other ways to.
He won't get any quicker, and I doubt any slower. He needs more bulk, not just strength. If you are Dustin Fletcher then it doesn't matter with his telescopic arms and agility. Fletch needs to work to his strength and that's to stay in the contest with bulk, he's good if he can stay in the contest.

He may not be able to get any bigger.....I don't know.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Roberts is one of about 6 or 7 fringe players on the list who have been playing most weeks with our injuries - the silver lining is its great for the health of the list - both long term in terms of covering injuries and also in generating mid-level draft picks over time as other clubs sniff around.

This is a point worth noting for those who'd like to see him delisted. He's been the main man in defence for quite a few weeks now.

Line ball whether he's in the side if everyone is fit (MC would probably just go Adams and Morris) but he's probably first reserve for us as a KPD.

The bloke has played 31 games. Key defenders often take 100 games to find their straps because it's a role that requires years of experience.

Fletcher's a zero fuss player. Very intelligent footy player - he reads the play well, does well to cut off the leading patters of his direct opponents and as others have said probably understands our defensive structures very well.

He's also very aware of his limitations as a player with ball in hand - always takes the correct and most appropriate option and never bites off more than he can chew.

I reckon he'll actually surprise a few with his long term development. He's got a very good footy brain, high IQ type of player, so the rest will come - he's a natural footballer.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
he's pretty decent at killing the ball and i don't mind him as a ball user.

he's just a depth key defender but fits well in the system and has served us well. Depth is critical, he can stay as depth, everyone's gotta be ready

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The bloke has played 31 games. Key defenders often take 100 games to find their straps because it's a role that requires years of experience.

Fletcher's a zero fuss player. Very intelligent footy player - he reads the play well, does well to cut off the leading patters of his direct opponents and as others have said probably understands our defensive structures very well.

He's also very aware of his limitations as a player with ball in hand - always takes the correct and most appropriate option and never bites off more than he can chew.

I reckon he'll actually surprise a few with his long term development. He's got a very good footy brain, high IQ type of player, so the rest will come - he's a natural footballer.
This is a very good summary, as a lot of people only look at what is done with the ball. They don't look at the small things like leading patterns or restricting them.

This is one of my biggest pet hate when I'm at the footy, when people just scream just kick it without looking at the play unfold, often when the ball is kicked it is turned over for a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back