Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Well other than rugby only soccer has an international presence and is an olympic sport
True. But I think that presence is diminishing rapidly.

I just think a lot of people round the world aren't that thrilled by the "spectacle" (and I use the term advisedly) that rugby union offers anymore. Tastes have evolved.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well other than rugby only soccer has an international presence and is an olympic sport
True. But I think that presence is diminishing rapidly.

I just think a lot of people round the world aren't that thrilled by the "spectacle" (and I use the term advisedly) that rugby union offers anymore. Tastes have evolved.

Rugby union officials are happy to let people think the sport is more international than it really is. No country outside New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales (these 3 are really 1 country) and I guess Italy and Argentina can field a side of their own professional players. Like cricket they let in a bunch of s**t teams for the world cup.

TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
Rugby union officials are happy to let people think the sport is more international than it really is. No country outside New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales (these 3 are really 1 country) and I guess Italy and Argentina can field a side of their own professional players. Like cricket they let in a bunch of s**t teams for the world cup.

True, but thats still 10 more than AFL, Gaelic or NFL and 8 more than league

TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
Union shoots itself in the foot in this country by priding itself as a toffs game, but that is all I will say on that matter for this thread. Dumbarses like Folau just enhance the stagnant growth.

True - the funny thing is that at the grass roots level its not. I've been involved with aussie rules, league and union clubs and the aussie rules people were way more "toffy"

The people on the hill at the Warringah Rats games are the least toffy people you could ever meet (the "Hillbillies" supporters club's uniform is a flannelette shirt), while the bulk of the players in my sons Subbies team are tradies, labourers and bar staff - mostly Maori and Islander

Thats part of the problem - the split between the people running the game and the people who love it

TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
American football is bigger than rugby union

Thats not what I was replying to, it was "No country outside New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales (these 3 are really 1 country) and I guess Italy and Argentina can field a side of their own professional players". I dont think many countries outside the US could field an NFL team (although Australia would have a crack punting unit)

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thats not what I was replying to, it was "No country outside New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales (these 3 are really 1 country) and I guess Italy and Argentina can field a side of their own professional players". I dont think many countries outside the US could field an NFL team (although Australia would have a crack punting unit)

I mean the audience watching it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
'As Rugby Australia attempts to work out who will grab the No.15 jersey and wear it in the lead-up to the 2023 World Cup, 32-year-old Folau will run out in Japan. It will be his first rugby match since RA tore up his multi-million-deal in early 2019, for what the governing body deemed homophobic remarks on social media.'

Wallabies great Will Genia said the Japanese community would judge Folau on his deeds this season.

“He’s a great guy,” Genia said. “Regardless of all that’s gone on. He’s always been humble, hard working and genuinely kind.”

& of more importance is his awareness:
'He has not published a religious post on Instagram since August 1, 2019.'

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
'As Rugby Australia attempts to work out who will grab the No.15 jersey and wear it in the lead-up to the 2023 World Cup, 32-year-old Folau will run out in Japan. It will be his first rugby match since RA tore up his multi-million-deal in early 2019, for what the governing body deemed homophobic remarks on social media.'

Wallabies great Will Genia said the Japanese community would judge Folau on his deeds this season.

“He’s a great guy,” Genia said. “Regardless of all that’s gone on. He’s always been humble, hard working and genuinely kind.”

Oh noes, his religious right to be a discriminatory arsewipe is being crushed!!!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Or Scummo and all the other idolators (read Catholics) in the Federal Government and its Murdoch Propaganda Arm

other idolators (read Catholics)

not those in the ALP ?

Quiet B has no problem with paedophilia on his side of politics but is a critic of it on the other side of the aisle - same dance different step Fred?

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
other idolators (read Catholics)

not those in the ALP ?

Quiet B has no problem with paedophilia on his side of politics but is a critic of it on the other side of the aisle - same dance different step Fred?
Pretty sure it was the idolatrous bigots in the LNP and the Murdoch Slime Pool who were defending his right to be a bigot and to say that they were going to hell.
Of course, ipso facto, they are dumb as dogshit, and probably didn't realise he was talking about them.
They twigged eventually however, and forced the removal of the Folau Clause from their obnoxious Religious Right to Discriminate Bill.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Pretty sure it was the idolatrous bigots in the LNP and the Murdoch Slime Pool who were defending his right to be a bigot and to say that they were going to hell.
Of course, ipso facto, they are dumb as dogshit, and probably didn't realise he was talking about them.
They twigged eventually however, and forced the removal of the Folau Clause from their obnoxious Religious Right to Discriminate Bill.

Good to see you acknowledge 'the idolatrous bigots' are not unique to any one side of politics & the ALP are actively seeking their votes - the things you do for power;

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese will channel the Pope by telling Christian organisations he believes the values of Labor and the church overlap with their vision to rebuild Australia following the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead of playing fullback for his country and earning the world's admiration for his freakish skills, he's toiling away in anonymity in Japan. Hope all that money makes him happy.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Good to see you acknowledge 'the idolatrous bigots' are not unique to any one side of politics & the ALP are actively seeking their votes - the things you do for power;

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese will channel the Pope by telling Christian organisations he believes the values of Labor and the church overlap with their vision to rebuild Australia following the coronavirus pandemic.
Didn't do any such thing.
You really do have problems with those pesky little things called facts and logic, don't you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back