Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

Our latest episode is up! This week, we talk AFL resumptions and Adelaide's misdemeanour, "Life Hacks" ponders the annoying "as revealed", Sri Lankan red turtles and trolling, "Vinyl & Video" goes back to 1991 and some HUGE music and movies, and we rant about conspiracies. Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Rohan

Are you still lined up with Google podcasts?

Hasnt come up on my feed yet

It disappeared from a couple of sites i was using, so now I use the Footyology site

Hi GreyCrow, We're with Acast, so it should be there. I know there was some issue with Spotify last week but it's OK this week, and iTunes looks OK. Haven't actually used Google podcasts so not sure what the issue is, sorry. As Registered User says, though, I link to the Footyology site where it's embedded. If you guys can give me a full list of platforms where it was running but now isn't, I'll chase it up with Acast ASAP.

Hi folks,

Our latest episode is online now. This week we talk about Jack Steven, the AFL plans for the season's resumption, and who cares what the first game is? "Vinyl and Video" heads back to 1975, a year for some particularly big movies and great footy memories, and the "Rant-Off" ponders the state of the media and the state of Finey's garden! Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

you are spot on RohanConnolly with your comments on the name of the Hamish show The Last time I Cried.
absolutely terrible name
Yeah, thought that observation was spot on; and also an example of the 'lifestyle' direction the AFL website is heading in Connolly has been talking about since last year.

Also agree with Connolly about his reaction to which match will reopen the season being 'Who cares?' Without crowds and atmosphere all the matches are going to feel the same anyway.

you are spot on RohanConnolly with your comments on the name of the Hamish show The Last time I Cried.
absolutely terrible name

I don't have so much of a problem with the name, but I agreed with Roco and Finey's comments about these types of shows/podcasts that focus so heavily on the emotional stories. Ordineroli Speaking with Neroli Meadows is another example. I've had trouble working out exactly what annoyed me about them, but I think Roco put it well, talking about cherry-picking these topics. These shows get a lot of praise for being open, honest etc, but if a guest's appearance on these shows is predicated on them having to have an "emotional conversation", it loses a lot of that genuine factor for me. Finey talking about circus freak shows was perhaps taking things a bit far, but i get what he was saying!

I don't have so much of a problem with the name, but I agreed with Roco and Finey's comments about these types of shows/podcasts that focus so heavily on the emotional stories. Ordineroli Speaking with Neroli Meadows is another example. I've had trouble working out exactly what annoyed me about them, but I think Roco put it well, talking about cherry-picking these topics. These shows get a lot of praise for being open, honest etc, but if a guest's appearance on these shows is predicated on them having to have an "emotional conversation", it loses a lot of that genuine factor for me. Finey talking about circus freak shows was perhaps taking things a bit far, but i get what he was saying!

My really unpopular opinion: I don't find many of these interviews very sincere. Neroli Meadows in particular is making a career out of this stuff, yet I don't find much of it very genuine.

As sincere as Bart's People on Kidz Newz? :D

Very much so. They're all Hammer's/Nez's people.

Part of the problem is that AFL players lead such similar, regimented lives to each other now that the tragedies/personal triumphs are what define their uniqueness. There's no room to follow players at work and play for TV/print profiles as was happening in the 1980s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My really unpopular opinion: I don't find many of these interviews very sincere. Neroli Meadows in particular is making a career out of this stuff, yet I don't find much of it very genuine.
I've never heard this perspective before tbh- why don't you find them sincere? Better than the 'just taking it one week at a time' crap we normally we get from sportspeople. What sort of stories are you wanting to hear?

Looking forward to Connolly elaborating on his understandable anger at Mcguire saying everything about the game needs to be torn down and started up again.

The worst thing about these past couple of months hasn't been the lack of footy but the hysterical garbage footy media coverage and self-indulgent types who think they're bigger than the game.

Footyology is one of the few places in the Footy media that maintains a generally sober and level-headed take on footy stories.

Looking forward to Connolly elaborating on his understandable anger at Mcguire saying everything about the game needs to be torn down and started up again.

The worst thing about these past couple of months hasn't been the lack of footy but the hysterical garbage footy media coverage and self-indulgent types who think they're bigger than the game.

Footyology is one of the few places in the Footy media that maintains a generally sober and level-headed take on footy stories.

Disagree entirely. Finey is ok but has a virtue signalling noose around his neck by partnering up with Connolly. If he could just keep his political and social vomit to himself then maybe it’d be ok , but the guy has so many anger issues ( have a look on Twitter , what a buffoon ) and lack of tolerance for anyone who disagrees that make him particularly unappealing. Poor finey stuck with that knob .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disagree entirely. Finey is ok but has a virtue signalling noose around his neck by partnering up with Connolly. If he could just keep his political and social vomit to himself then maybe it’d be ok , but the guy has so many anger issues ( have a look on Twitter , what a buffoon ) and lack of tolerance for anyone who disagrees that make him particularly unappealing. Poor finey stuck with that knob .

G'day Bruce. Good of you to weigh in. Look, it's clear from your use of that tedious cliche "virtue signalling" (a favourite of the Sky News/Bolt follower crowd) and your choice of words like "buffoon" and "knob" that you might just be a little guilty yourself of exactly what you're having a crack at me about ... ie. a lack of tolerance for an opposing political view. Sort of ironic that, don't you think?! Particularly as I am not resorting to calling you either of those things here.

Anyway, fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion, right? And that's exactly what my private Twitter account is for. And guess what, here's the thing, you don't have to read it, even look at it. So here's an idea ... don't! There you go, problem solved.

Have a great weekend Bruce, and I'm sure if anyone disagrees with you on matters politics, you'll show them due civility and respect, just like you have here. Yes, of course you will! :tearsofjoy:

Double headers at same venue in Victoria sounds sensible in current circumstances until crowds start to be allowed again.

4pm game at Docklands on Saturday's and a night game after it makes sense.

1-10 pm game at G, 4 pm at Docklands and second game at Docklands start 7-15.

People who complain about others views on social media surprise me. It is simple really, don't like his views, don't follow him on social media.

Why don't you actually discuss the topic of this thread which is the podcast itself and not play the man. Footyology is great when footy is being played as they provide some great discussion and reviews of games. And during isolation the podcast continues to entertain with a nice mix of topics being discussed, with a little bit of politics being thrown in (usually less than 5 minutes).

Hi guys,

Latest episode is up, and this one's a goody (if I don't say so myself!) Plenty of footy chat, the AFL fixture, the prospect of crowds again, night grand finals and game length, we rip into media self-indulgence, "Vinyl & Video" heads back to 1988, and thunderous sermons are delivered in "The Rant-Off". Get it while it's hot!

PS. Hopefully not too much virtue signalling for that guy a few posts above! ;)

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi guys,

Latest episode is up, and this one's a goody (if I don't say so myself!) Plenty of footy chat, the AFL fixture, the prospect of crowds again, night grand finals and game length, we rip into media self-indulgence, "Vinyl & Video" heads back to 1988, and thunderous sermons are delivered in "The Rant-Off". Get it while it's hot!

Cheers,
Rohan

Poor Bruce is still recovering from his broken arm in the 1982 Grand Final - forgive him if he's still a little cranky.

Have you given fewer spoilers this week on 'Vinyl and Video'? My Dad used to talk up 'Three Days of the Condor', but I must admit - I feel a little less keen to see it than I did this time last week...

Poor Bruce is still recovering from his broken arm in the 1982 Grand Final - forgive him if he's still a little cranky.

Have you given fewer spoilers this week on 'Vinyl and Video'? My Dad used to talk up 'Three Days of the Condor', but I must admit - I feel a little less keen to see it than I did this time last week...

Yes, I did. Sorry about that, just got carried away in my excitement about a film I've always loved! Can assure you it's still worth watching though, one of Redford's finest roles.

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Rohan

Finley could not be more wrong about normal people, Rohan if you like sex education you’ll love normal people! There is a long and confronting sex scene early on but if you push past that its well worth it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back