Formula One Round 19 - 2016 Mexican Grand Prix (29th - 31st October)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamilton backed off after running wide at t1 and allowed Rosberg to close up again. This neutralised any advantage he gained, and then the safety car ensured this remained the case. Rosberg stayed in second despite the contact with Max and yes, he did initially leave space for Max to have a go. It was rightly judged to a racing incident.

Rosberg himself had no complaints with either Hamilton or that move by Verstappen, and he was the one who had the most to gain (or lose) in both instances.

At any rate, if the punishment for running wide at the corner was a five second time penalty, it wouldn't have affected Hamilton winning.

Yep. Keep telling yourself that...

then tellinh Charlie Whiting to **** off :D
He's spot on though. The only problem is that once Whiting is gone. He'll be replaced by another Muppet.

Yep. Keep telling yourself that...

He's spot on though. The only problem is that once Whiting is gone. He'll be replaced by another Muppet.
Yeah. The Ves penalty was about as clear cut as speeding in the pit lane. And then Vettel was clearly being backed into Ric by a car he should have been past anyway.

I would have been annoyed too.

My take on the whole thing:
1) Hamilton would have lost track position to Rosberg if there was a wall on those rumble strips and he was forced to make the corner. Would have had to brake really hard and be overtaken by Rosberg. Hamilton should have taken a time penalty for blatantly speeding across the grass.
2) Rosberg was shunted off the track by Verstappen, so fair enough that Rosberg cut the corner.
3) Verstappen locking his brakes like an amateur when Vettel wasnt in position to overtake into T1. He easily could have made the corner but chose to cheat because if he makes that corner then Vettel overtakes him. Fair enough getting a 5 second time penalty.
4) Vettel changing racing lines under braking to block Ricciardo deserved the penalty it got. Vettel blocking Dan was no doubt in frustration to Verstappen deliberately holding him up. Yes Vettel should have been in front of Verstappen at that stage, but it doesnt excuse him for that illegal block.

All in all i think the stewards got it right except for Hamilton. All F1 tracks should have gravel traps just outside the track limit if they arent going to put up walls. it allows for a safety run off area, and also means if a driver legitimately cant make a corner then they lose time driving across a sandpit and risk their cars integrity. Absolutely stupid watching these drivers accelerate in a straight line across grass like its a video game.

So we missed another Shoey.
Don't agree with the penalty,Both came out of it unscathed.
Nah it was a penalty all day. Every driver, especially Seb has complained about moving under brakes and stewards not doing anything.

Well they did this time.

My take on the whole thing:
1) Hamilton would have lost track position to Rosberg if there was a wall on those rumble strips and he was forced to make the corner. Would have had to brake really hard and be overtaken by Rosberg. Hamilton should have taken a time penalty for blatantly speeding across the grass.
2) Rosberg was shunted off the track by Verstappen, so fair enough that Rosberg cut the corner.
3) Verstappen locking his brakes like an amateur when Vettel wasnt in position to overtake into T1. He easily could have made the corner but chose to cheat because if he makes that corner then Vettel overtakes him. Fair enough getting a 5 second time penalty.
4) Vettel changing racing lines under braking to block Ricciardo deserved the penalty it got. Vettel blocking Dan was no doubt in frustration to Verstappen deliberately holding him up. Yes Vettel should have been in front of Verstappen at that stage, but it doesnt excuse him for that illegal block.

All in all i think the stewards got it right except for Hamilton. All F1 tracks should have gravel traps just outside the track limit if they arent going to put up walls. it allows for a safety run off area, and also means if a driver legitimately cant make a corner then they lose time driving across a sandpit and risk their cars integrity. Absolutely stupid watching these drivers accelerate in a straight line across grass like its a video game.
The thing is, there isn't a wall and there isn't a gravel trap, so all the stewards can do is judge the situation based on what it actually is, rather than hypothetical 'what ifs'. Hamilton backed off and the safety car further neutralised any advantage he might have gained. The man who might have stood the most to gain from a Hamilton penalty had no issue with it. People more experienced in motorsport than you or I had no issue with it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Under that situation. Missing the apex. Completely missing a corner. Then resuming two corners later warrants a penalty. Rosberg's very close to winning the biggest trophy in motorsport. A trophy he's yet to win. I suspect he realises it's pointless getting upset over stuff like that, even if it's warranted. Win the championship, and all is forgotten.

Under that situation. Missing the apex. Completely missing a corner. Then resuming two corners later warrants a penalty. Rosberg's very close to winning the biggest trophy in motorsport. A trophy he's yet to win. I suspect he realises it's pointless getting upset over stuff like that, even if it's warranted. Win the championship, and all is forgotten.
Havent seen the race, so Hamilton just decided to make his own circuit into sticking to the track? Yep sounds fair.

It was just straight out crap. Totally stuffed it up. Under no excessive pressure. Just gets away with it because no time was gained.

The context if the race changes hugely if he's behind Rosberg, maybe even a couple of places behind, and has to pass him. Sometimes the MBs have trouble following other cars. It wasn't clear cut Hamilton definitely would've passed Rosberg. But in that moment, there's an increased tension, higher stakes in any move with the championship in mind.

Idk how many races he's won so far. But all his wins except 1 or 2 he's made a mistake and left the track.

It was just straight out crap. Totally stuffed it up. Under no excessive pressure. Just gets away with it because no time was gained.

The context if the race changes hugely if he's behind Rosberg, maybe even a couple of places behind, and has to pass him. Sometimes the MBs have trouble following other cars. It wasn't clear cut Hamilton definitely would've passed Rosberg. But in that moment, there's an increased tension, higher stakes in any move with the championship in mind.

Idk how many races he's won so far. But all his wins except 1 or 2 he's made a mistake and left the track.
Like you said, no time was gained. Hamilton took no advantage. The people who are paid to make the rules and the professionals who look at the rules deemed no action was warranted. If he'd maintained an unreasonable gap afterward I'd say a penalty of some sort, but he didn't.

What sort of penalty would you impose in those circumstances?

Like you said, no time was gained. Hamilton took no advantage. The people who are paid to make the rules and the professionals who look at the rules deemed no action was warranted. If he'd maintained an unreasonable gap afterward I'd say a penalty of some sort, but he didn't.

He did gain an advantage on track position! If that track limit is a street circuit wall Hamilton has to slam on the breaks to make the corner and Rosberg flys past. Pretty obvious that Hamilton got an advantage by going offroad in a straight line i would have thought. Ricciardo is more experienced in motorsport than you and I and he had an issue with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did gain an advantage on track position! If that track limit is a street circuit wall Hamilton has to slam on the breaks to make the corner and Rosberg flys past. Pretty obvious that Hamilton got an advantage by going offroad in a straight line i would have thought. Ricciardo is more experienced in motorsport than you and I and he had an issue with it.
Since Rosberg wasn't in fact mounting an attack (he was too busy going defensive) Hamilton wasn't in serious danger of losing the place. He then slowed, letting the gap shrink. The safety car then took care of it completely.

If we penalise Hamilton, then do we penalise Rosberg too? He left the door open for Verstappen into turn 1 and if he'd stuck to track limits he would have had to back off and slip in behind Max. Or do we penalise Verstappen for making the move?

Why would Rosberg be penalised when Verstappen got knocked off by Verstappen? It was quite clear the was positioning himself to take the corner. That was no position to attempt a pass.

But ****wit Verstappen being the ****wit he is. Dives in there thinking because he's partially alongside, he can take advantage of the other drivers impending vulnerability a get through. It's the same ****wit move he made in Belgium. On both occasions the move wasn't on. But he's a d/h. So from his POV, he just drive in there anyway.

Danny Ric didn't have much luck last season but boy has he made up for it this year. IMO if he's in a Merc he's the World Champion already.

Make him do another lap? He didn't finish that one. ;)

Nah it was a penalty all day. Every driver, especially Seb has complained about moving under brakes and stewards not doing anything.

Well they did this time.
Yeah looking back at it.Fair enough.At the time i was only looking at DR.

Since Rosberg wasn't in fact mounting an attack (he was too busy going defensive) Hamilton wasn't in serious danger of losing the place. He then slowed, letting the gap shrink. The safety car then took care of it completely.

If we penalise Hamilton, then do we penalise Rosberg too? He left the door open for Verstappen into turn 1 and if he'd stuck to track limits he would have had to back off and slip in behind Max. Or do we penalise Verstappen for making the move?

No difference at all what Max did to what Hamilton did.Doesn't actually matter what the other driver was doing because its the actions of himself leading upto and into the corner that determines the outcome.Fact of the matter is if there was a wall both Hamilton and Max would have approached the corner differently.They both took the easier option and while Max got a 5 sec penalty so should have Hamilton.I'm surprised Red bull hasn't appealed on those grounds to be honest.

for a German and the cliches , Rosberg is a real Gentleman , he always shows modesty and even humility , I have more respect for him than any f1 driver . Hamilton is a whiny whinging Pom and I can say that because I am a pom .

We all fukn whingers :D

didn't see the race but sounds like whiny boy shoulda got done. To me it's like the officials don't want to act on these infringements with both Whiny and Ros neck and neck for the WDC- like the boundary umpires not calling the ball OOB because of the chance it being a spectacular passage of play

Last edited:
Make him do another lap? He didn't finish that one. ;)
There's some merit in this. It would be a good idea.
No difference at all what Max did to what Hamilton did.Doesn't actually matter what the other driver was doing because its the actions of himself leading upto and into the corner that determines the outcome.Fact of the matter is if there was a wall both Hamilton and Max would have approached the corner differently.They both took the easier option and while Max got a 5 sec penalty so should have Hamilton.I'm surprised Red bull hasn't appealed on those grounds to be honest.
Thank you for being the most articulate about it.

There's some merit in this. It would be a good idea.

Thank you for being the most articulate about it.
It would very quickly put and end to stunts like that, they would have to rejoin immediately then.

Not sure why people are saying Verstappen was backing Vettel into Ricciardo. If anyone was watching the live timing they'd have seen that Ricciardo was lapping 1-2 seconds a lap quicker than BOTH Verstappen and Vettel for the last 20 laps. Max had done 50+ laps on his medium tyres so they were shot to bits, if Verstappen didn't do what he did then Ricciardo would have easily overtaken both on much much fresher tyres, so he thoroughly deserved the 3rd place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back