Player Watch Francis Evans

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the grit and forward smarts but looked a tad slow out there
He did at times. I think that was a bit uncharacteristic with how he moved on other occassions I've watched him. He copped a nasty gash to his head earlier in the game and seemed to be favoring a leg too. Hopefully there are reasons for it otherwise he may be lucky to get more games.

Bit of a mixed bag of a day for Evans, 19 touches. 2.3 goals.
Port-V-Woodville-home-14.jpg
Port-V-Woodville-home-48.jpg

Was our best forward on the weekend with 15 disposals and 3.2 goals.

Now with 12 goals from 7 games, leading the Port Adelaide SANFL goal kicking with Tom Scully, but Evans has played 3 less games.
Norwood-v-Port-14-.jpg

Leading disposal getter with 23 this week, and also kicked a goal. 13 goals from 8 games (Scully also leading with 13 goals from 11 games).
View attachment 1727084
With reduced time in the forward line, the Tank still bagged a goal; albeit, he is now changing on the ball.
Our small AFL forwards went missing in the wet last night against the Bombers.

We desperately need a proven goal kicker in the AFL; Junior should be back next week but still plenty of games left for Evans to show his wares.
Of course the wild card joker in the pack is, can Fanta out some continuous games together in the SANFL?

With reduced time in the forward line, the Tank still bagged a goal; albeit, he is now changing on the ball.
Our small AFL forwards went missing in the wet last night against the Bombers.

We desperately need a proven goal kicker in the AFL; Junior should be back next week but still plenty of games left for Evans to show his wares.
Of course the wild card joker in the pack is, can Fanta out some continuous games together in the SANFL?
No

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, good on him for getting that done on the weekend but I'll eat my left nut if he ever kicks 4 in a game again.

Look, good on him for getting that done on the weekend but I'll eat my left nut if he ever kicks 4 in a game again.
I tend to agree, but I can't deny he started looking better when he was taking the ball on the move instead just plopping around.

He'd only have to average one a game to make himself a better option than a certain other small forward in our side.

He'd only have to average one a game to make himself a better option than a certain other small forward in our side.
Evans has at least shown he's a decent goal-kicker at SANFL level. A certain other small forward has an absolute ceiling of 2 goals in a game.

My broader point is that I'd rate a genuine crumbing small forward as only slightly less of a priority than a tall KPD.

Has the forward nous, something most of our small "forwards" lack. However I rekon Jarrad Redden could move faster

So seven games for seven goals; where others struggled he stood up in a big game and showed us his potential.
He has actually only played three full games for us (he was the sub in the other four games).
Where we are yet to see the best of Frank the Tank; Stephen Wells is on record saying said Evans has an X-factor.

When Geelong called out Francis Evans in the 2019 National Draft, many draft experts were scurrying for their notes to work who was plucked from obscurity.
Stephen Wells (Geelong recruiting & List Manager) drafted Evans after he watched him kicked eight-goal for Brunswick. Soon after he was recruited into the Calder Cannons where kicked five goals in one and a half games for the Cannons before he got injured (and was forgotten about except Wells had seen him play).

Has the forward nous, something most of our small "forwards" lack. However I rekon Jarrad Redden could move faster
Pace is so important for a small forward, which is a massive concern with Evans. That’s aid, he’s done enough to hold his spot in this side for this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back