Fred doing a Beckham

Remove this Banner Ad

Now, I seriously lol'd at that.
So what are disputing...that he won't be a nobody in the MLS or that he wouldn't have been one of the biggest players in the A-League.

shiva25 said:
Are you telling me you wouldnt switch jobs if you got offered more money.Youd be a dill if you didnt consider it and theres nothing wrong with it so get over it you jealous pr1ck
I've had a few times where I could possibly have taken a new job with a higher pay packet, but have opted not to. Why? Because I don't see money as the be all and end all. I enjoy where I work, I enjoy the people I work with, I enjoy the little extra benefits I can get at my current workplace. There are still things I want to achieve in my job. It might pay less, which at times can be annoying, I don't mind.

Obviously, I am in the minority in my way of thinking. Obviously I am one of the few people left who still value loyalty.

Just look at Henry at the end of last season. Could easily have accepted more $$$ (not that he needs anymore) to go to Barcelona, but he is a loyal man and stayed at Arsenal for less money to help guide our vast array of young guns to glory. I have a lot more respect for him after that decision.

I'm in no way comparing MVFC to an Arsenal or Barca, but the principal is the same...accept more cash to go to (arguably) a bigger club, or accept less to stay in a place where you are happy. It's only slightly different because Henry had been at Arsenal about 6-7 years, whereas Fred had been here one. Fred is a money man, Henry is a loyalty man. I have more respect for people who choose loyalty over money.

Judging by reactions, I am in a very small minority.

I've had a few times where I could possibly have taken a new job with a higher pay packet, but have opted not to. Why? Because I don't see money as the be all and end all. I enjoy where I work, I enjoy the people I work with, I enjoy the little extra benefits I can get at my current workplace. There are still things I want to achieve in my job. It might pay less, which at times can be annoying, I don't mind.

Obviously, I am in the minority in my way of thinking. Obviously I am one of the few people left who still value loyalty.

Just look at Henry at the end of last season. Could easily have accepted more $$$ (not that he needs anymore) to go to Barcelona, but he is a loyal man and stayed at Arsenal for less money to help guide our vast array of young guns to glory. I have a lot more respect for him after that decision.

I'm in no way comparing MVFC to an Arsenal or Barca, but the principal is the same...accept more cash to go to (arguably) a bigger club, or accept less to stay in a place where you are happy. It's only slightly different because Henry had been at Arsenal about 6-7 years, whereas Fred had been here one. Fred is a money man, Henry is a loyalty man. I have more respect for people who choose loyalty over money.

That money you got offered in those other jobs, was that more than double of what you were making? I believe he's getting US$155k base salary in his first season there. Not sure what he made here, but I guess it'll be a lot less.

2nd, he's a football player. He won't be making money out of his profession untill he's 60. And on top of that, being Brazilian, he might be making money to support his family back home as well. That has nothing to do with value and loyalty.

You can dream about Henry being a loyal prince on a white horse and all, but a) you can guarantee the money he would've made at Barcelona was never going to be considerablyhigher and b) he plays for Arsenal because they can afford to pay him big money. Let's see what the loyal prince would do if the same thing would happen to Arsenal as what happened to Leeds.

Fred has come here and has played brilliantly all year. He's proven his value. It's a shame Melbourne can't reward him with the money he deserves, that's all.

And besides, why was he on a 1 year contract in the first place? It sounds as if Melbourne wasn't that confident in him. Do you think Melbourne was going to give him a contract extension if he would've broken his leg? He didn't owe us anything.

I think the 1 year contract was more a precaution, Look at how Claudinho and Alessandro went, they didnt adjust. If we had them on 3 year deals we'd be in strife. 1 year deals are smart for internationals especially with the small squads we have.

Well I won't say Victory will struggle with out Fred but its a huge hole to fill.
Fred and Brebner in midfield basically turned the worse A-league midfield into one of the better ones.
They will need a creative attacking midfielder to replace him.eg a Nicky Carle clone.

Well I won't say Victory will struggle with out Fred but its a huge hole to fill.
Fred and Brebner in midfield basically turned the worse A-league midfield into one of the better ones.
They will need a creative attacking midfielder to replace him.eg a Nicky Carle clone.
perhaps sarkies?

So what are disputing...that he won't be a nobody in the MLS or that he wouldn't have been one of the biggest players in the A-League.

Judging by reactions, I am in a very small minority.
How much of a higher pay packet were you offered? i would bet if it were a substantial amount you would be a fool not to even consider it
There is no such thing as loyalty anymore as more often than not people who chase the bigger dream when they have an opportunity end up being more succesfull than those that dont
Comparing the multi million dollar salaries that players like Henry get to the petty money that Fred was on is a ridiculous comparison.Henry doesnt need the so called extra millions he was offered elsewhere as he is on a pretty good wicket at Arsenal as it is and has made enough to set himself up for a lifetime whereas Freds salary would be pretty ordinary at Melbourne and would not be enough to live on comfortably and set himself up for life had he stayed at the Victory. The two situations are vastly different because they involve much larger sums of money as well as a better opportunity and no- one should critisize him for moving on

Let's just clear one thing up: The MLS is not a better league than the A-league, it just offers more money. The playing standard is the same as it is here, maybe lower...

Let's just clear one thing up: The MLS is not a better league than the A-league, it just offers more money. The playing standard is the same as it is here, maybe lower...
Before you make ridiculous statements like that i suggest you watch the MLS.
It is definately a better league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the MLS they have a 30 game season plus playoff. The winner gets to play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup with the best teams in that advancing to Copa Sudamericana (South American version of the EUFA Cup). Now that is better than anything that is offered here playing wise.

How much would Fred have been on at Melbourne? 100k (about US$77k) he will double his salary, and these Sth American boys pocket all that money, they send some of it home to help out their family.

Good luck Fred :thumbsu:

How much would Fred have been on at Melbourne? 100k (about US$77k) he will double his salary, and these Sth American boys pocket all that money, they send some of it home to help out their family.

Good luck Fred :thumbsu:

I was a bit bitter at first because he was in the top 3 of my fav players but now good on him and victory should be happy that we can find players who are guns.

In the MLS they have a 30 game season plus playoff. The winner gets to play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup with the best teams in that advancing to Copa Sudamericana (South American version of the EUFA Cup). Now that is better than anything that is offered here playing wise.

I have been to a Copa Sudamericana game in Argentina. Crazy **** soccer over there. The columbian team supporters were pretty much given 15 mins to get as far away from the stadium as they could :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back