Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice one. Hope you guys can notch up another win. Good chance.
Wasn't a formality as I anticipated weeks ago. It should have been. But something told me it wasn't going to be. Lions have been admirable in many of their losses. The match ups and styles intrigued me and I wondered about Freo.

On the game itself. Poor. Dockers lost this game before a ball was even bounced. They thought they could rock up, stroll around and Brisbane would just roll over. Mentally weak and unprepared. Poor Dockers. Could have been a game outside the 8 but once again they've blown a golden opportunity. West Coast, Geelong, Melbourne and now Freo didn't rock up mentally and they paid the price.

Wasn't a formality as I anticipated weeks ago. It should have been. But something told me it wasn't going to be. Lions have been admirable in many of their losses. The match ups and styles intrigued me and I wondered about Freo.

On the game itself. Poor. Dockers lost this game before a ball was even bounced. They thought they could rock up, stroll around and Brisbane would just roll over. Mentally weak and unprepared. Poor Dockers. Could have been a game outside the 8 but once again they've blown a golden opportunity. West Coast, Geelong, Melbourne and now Freo didn't rock up mentally and they paid the price.
I am not watching the game, just shocked by the result. I have predicted every win and loss for freo so far but not this game

Umpires did all they could to try and assist. Astonishing how many charity gifts they got.
8j98vAs.png

yeah he is. Whats your point? Oh I see, you are kicking freo when they are down.
I like having a stab at Freo as much as the next bloke but this is unnecessary IMO

Lyon is a very, very good coach and has Freo trending well ahead of rebuilding teams who have been stuck down the bottom for the better part of a decade.

The comp is so even at the moment and Brisbane (and Carlton) are better than people think.

I like having a stab at Freo as much as the next bloke but this is unnecessary IMO

Lyon is a very, very good coach and has Freo trending well ahead of rebuilding teams who have been stuck down the bottom for the better part of a decade.

The comp is so even at the moment and Brisbane (and Carlton) are better than people think.
Well clearly the Fremantle players went out there thinking they would just turn up and it would happen. Ross the boss is alright and I think he can develop the youngsters. Today was a complete failure of on field leadership. Hopefully for the coach there is a strong response next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires did all they could to try and assist. Astonishing how many charity gifts they got.

The umpiring was crap overall, they were so inconsistent, it frustrated both teams.

Their application of the 50 metre penalty would make you pull your hair out !!. They gave 2 of these penalties ( one for each team ), but we’re wrong as both players played on. Then they missed 2 regulation ones, when Freo players ran through the restricted area !!.

The umps had a mare.

The umpiring was crap overall, they were so inconsistent, it frustrated both teams.

Their application of the 50 metre penalty would make you pull your hair out !!. They gave 2 of these penalties ( one for each team ), but we’re wrong as both players played on. Then they missed 2 regulation ones, when Freo players ran through the restricted area !!.

The umps had a mare.
HTB decisions were just wrong and completely against the spirit of the rule. A couple of times Brisbane players dropped the ball in tackles (one after already doing a 360 in the tackle), not paid. Then you get ones like Langdon with absolutely no prior and the other bloke on top being in control of the ball pushing it in and they pay it. Its beyond infuriating how badly this rule is officiated.
And as you mention both the 50's that were paid were after players had clearly played on. None of the umpires today had any game sense, just paying things on technicalities.
Oh and we sucked more than the suckiest thing thats ever sucked today. Congrats Brissie, beat us in all areas today.

All sides have bad days. Hell don't I know it as a saints supporter. Having said that there are bigger issues at play here which should alarm freo supporters.

The game has gone past Lyon and there's no shame in that. He's taken two struggling football clubs to a combined 4 grand finals. He drew one and could have won the other.

But the reality is with the list he has he should be playing finals. It's a top 6 list with arguably the best midfielder in the comp and the best small fwd. Now they've hit the wall and reached their ceiling.

He cannot reinvent his game plan because he cannot attract the coaching talent to help him do that. So he's still working with tweaks to the game plan Leigh Tudor developed in 2008 which was an evolution on Clarkson game plan. So he's lost his tactical advantage that made him a great coach. Unless he gets that back which hasn't happened for a handful of seasons now then he won't be competitive again.

Which brings us to the bigger problem. Freos list management strategy built around the core of Nat fyfe, Walters, hill, neale, Pearce, mundy etc. With Ross driving a mini rebuild of sorts looks to have been the wrong one. As quick as they're finding players the sooner they're having to find more replacements. All whilst the best years of the core is being wasted under a coach who can't take them to finals. If a mini rebuild is what they want then they should take the punt and move on Ross whilst they still have fyfe playing good football. The new coach needs 12 months minimum to get it up to speed so it should be looked at as a 3 year exercise minimum.

Alternatively they should do what they always should have done and rebuilt properly. Ross should have been moved on in 2016 and the long term rebuild kicked off with a completely rebuild football dept. By the looks of things this will happen anyway in 2019-2020 when it truly sinks in as to how far they've misread Ross capabilities and how far back their list truly was in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back