Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have 8 prospective captains challenges because bloopers matter as much in each quarter. A fifth umpire sits and reviews things that four umpires have already looked at.

Would Bailey Williams mark last night be overturned on a challenge. Looked like a push to me. Would have kept the cats buffer intact.

Every close game will have numerous reviews and coaches will soon start facing the system to aid their team. All to stamp out the one error that influenced a fame that we have seen for quite some time. Years?

The only winners would be the broadcasters who can ram in more ads. You've admitted that a recent grand final result might have been changed by bringing this captains challenge in but I need to have a breather.

You might be better off sticking to manufactured sports like basketball.

Wait, are you suggesting that bringing in technology would mean they would actually try to retrospectively change the result of past flags? Surely not..

Carton won. 4 points won't change. Tight contest all day - good game up until Alex Whetton decided he'd step in. Other than that it looks like the two teams are pretty evenly matched.

It's unfortunate what happened in the last minute though as I feel came in two parts, the second of which was completely unnecessary.

What happened to spark the insanity was actually pretty (very?) mild. Whetton missed a touch ball and called it a mark. Simple as that. No less - no more. It happens all the time. The players knew it was touched and possibly the non controlling umpire but I would also have paid the mark given the vision in real time. Pay the mark. Watch the kick. Move on. Obviously there will be some pretty angry people around, but Whetton took the job knowing it would have it's moments in the cauldron. Nothing extraordinary here.

This is where it all went spectacularly wrong for Alex Whetton. At about the same time he was suppose to be running back to his mark to reset for the center bounce, Whetton decided to take option B. He decided to escalate what was essentially over.

Whetton, I assume to cover his embarrassment, rather than turn around and run back to his position, made another howler and paid the most absurd decision he could have made - 'dissent'. A rule so uncommon it was paid just 1 time for the entire game. That's right...once....in the final 40 seconds....game on the line....20 meters out in front of goal. What was said? How the mind turned over at how offensive it would have to have been to completely * up a game where 10s of thousands were watching?

" ******* idiot, Jordy". We're not even sure it was directed at him (his name isn't Jordy).

The mind boggles just how self-important one must think they are to even contemplate option B at this point. Just run back - set up for the bounce - it's not that hard. Option B it was though. Whetton was hell-bent on being the most important part of the game. He NEEDED everyone to see him.

Clearly Whetton was embarrassed and was lashing out after his ego has been bruised.

Now it's Time to look forward. Here's my prediction:

1. Carlton won't get another 'dissent' free kick all year, further highlighting how unequipped Alex Whetton is to perform his job at a mildly competent standard for a whole game.

2. Umpires will continue to pluck single incident free kicks from multiple opportunities. Not because they are all s**t (I actually think they are overall pretty good), but because one or two have the coping skills of the average Pre-Primary school child - as we saw on the weekend. Clearly Alex Whetton is in the wrong profession.

3. The AFL will ignore the whole incident and we'll have another one in 12 months as was the case this time following the Coniglio debacle in 2023.

4. The next time a player from an opposition club looks like he's questioning an umpire (in a Freo home game) Optus will hilariously melt down like a wax candle in time lapse. I'll be one of them giggling like a school-girl whist calling 'diseeeeeeennnnnttt'.

Last edited:
Do you really think they’ll remove human error by adding more humans? I get it was a bad call but umpires these days are pretty much professional athletes trying their best to be as accurate as possible. I bet they feel like s**t today and are back in training tomorrow trying to get better. What more can you ask?
Park your ego at the door?

I agree with the rest.

Has anyone confirmed what was said to the umpire for the dessent penalty?

Was it swearing and abuse?

Or was it "You just cost us the game".

THAT's what needs to be clarified. Because if it was as soft as saying ''you just cost us the game'' the umpire needs to be dropped. And the others told to sprinkle some concrete on their cornflakes and toughen the **** up.

Has anyone confirmed what was said to the umpire for the dessent penalty?

Was it swearing and abuse?

Or was it "You just cost us the game".

THAT's what needs to be clarified. Because if it was as soft as saying ''you just cost us the game'' the umpire needs to be dropped. And the others told to sprinkle some concrete on their cornflakes and toughen the **** up.
"You ******* idiot" apparently.

Wait, are you suggesting that bringing in technology would mean they would actually try to retrospectively change the result of past flags? Surely not..
Clearly not suggesting that. Just merely emphasising the giant Pandora's box that some are looking to open in an attempt to rectify a genuine mistake that happens once in a blue moon.

If only there was another example of a Vic team getting the benefit of a game deciding call against a 'small market' non-Vic team?

Do people winge this much when a mark is paid multiple times a game after its touched the player in fronts hand but the mark is still paid to the player behind?

Or are you saying this never happens in Freo games and Freo players never get paid the mark?

A very well known fixed NBA play offs series. We're the Sacramento Kings of the AFL. The AFL couldn't give two shits about whether Freo wins or not. As long as Freo supporters keep on rocking up and they can have a team that doesn't need an AFL bail out.

Suddenly Carlton is "this years Collingwood" and rating and attendances go up.

The 2015 Prelim was another great example. The umps caught talking about watching Freo players in the first quarter and gave a super bias decision against Ballas. This isn't a fair and equitable league.

"The tone was set early on Friday night when Hawthorn's Matt Suckling ran into Hayden Ballantyne at jogging pace and somehow drew an off-the-ball free kick to gift the Hawks their first goal. And their second was just as unfathomable, a 50-metre penalty paid for another off-the-ball incident in which contact was, to say the least, minor.

And the decisions, or non-decisions, seemed to keep coming at critical moments, an obvious in-the-back decision not paid to Michael Walters in the last term when the Dockers had early momentum and were still more than a rough chance."

Apparently it had no effect on the game though. So many "one off" situations and games that seem to not favour the smaller WA team.

Do people winge this much when a mark is paid multiple times a game after its touched the player in fronts hand but the mark is still paid to the player behind?

Or are you saying this never happens in Freo games and Freo players never get paid the mark?

It's almost as if a decision at a crucial part of a game might have more impact

Crazy statement I know :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what needs to be looked at is an umpire calling touched and another umpire overriding it. That should never happen and the umpire overriding it needs to work on his performance.

That being said... on to the next round.

Missed the touch ball prior to the Cotterell “ mark”. That happens in footy but the rubbish that took place from the umpire after that was farcical.
I’m more annoyed with the commentators saying we play a stifling game! We moved the ball much better than Carlton for the majority of the game. Our man on man defensive pressure was top shelf, do they want us to play loose so McKay and Curnow can have free rein? Idiotic commentary, our low score was due to poor connection and missed opportunities, nothing to do with “stifling” game play. The commentators just parrot each others billsh*t.

Why won't they show us the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals?

I'll tell you why... Because Hewett's kick which was marked by Cotterell deflected off Aish's outstretched arm by about one metre.
It was an absolute howler of a non-decision from the umpires. Incredible that none of the 4 umpires were in position to see this.

I just assumed that the Freo players were complaining that Nat Fyfe touched it off the boot. Like most people, I thought, "Oh well... Umpires can't always tell if a player gets their fingernail on the ball. Freo are probably grasping at straws trying to claim it wasn't a mark."

But then I saw this footage and I was shocked...

It's so typical of the AFL that they'll do anything to gloss over the mistakes from umpires, especially the ones which decide a game.

Nathan Schmook's match report on afl.com had the headline "Undisciplined Dockers hand Blues controversial win"

No, they didn't. The 4 blind umpires handed the Blues a controversial win by not calling "touched, play on". The match was decided by Cottterell's match-winning goal with 45 secs left. The dissent shown by Jordan Clark which led to Carlton's 10th goal simply cost Freo the chance of salvaging a miracle win in the final seconds (which in all likelihood, probably wasn't gonna happen anyway.)

Schmook wrote, "Matthew Cottrell was then awarded a mark and converted his set shot as Dockers players pleaded with the umpire that the ball had been touched."

Why doesn't he write that the ball WAS touched and that Cotterell should not have been awarded the mark?

That's the real story... Pathetic journalism.

I watched the "The Round So Far" highlights with Riley Beveridge and Kane Cornes. They're repeating the same ploy, focusing more on the free kick against Clark for dissent. They're even using the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals to show the exact moment he said something to the umpire. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I'll ask again, why won't they show us this "down the ground" footage from a few seconds earlier and let us all see the wicked deflection the ball took off James Aish's arm?

They showed a close-up from a different angle where you can see the ball brushes Aish's hair (after it hit his arm) and Cornes pours cold water on the Dockers' protests, saying "That's a mark. We're paying that a mark in every instance. We always have."

Blatantly misleading the football public.

Incredible how they choose cover the umpires' arses and the AFL arses by not coming clean and admitting the obvious error

Shite journalism... That's what you get when they're all AFL bootlickers.

F**k the AFL.

edit: Blues fans, please try to take club colours out of this and look at the over-arching story. You got the 4 premiership points. Well done. But this is more about the umpires being unable to make an OBVIOUS decision between the four of them and costing a team a hard-earned win and then the AFL media not reporting the facts and trying to spin the story.

Schmook is a massive AFL lackey/brown nose. Has his tongue firmly up Damien Barrett's ass.

I guess everyone assumes that IF a play on call was made-

there was NO CHANCE Carlton could have scored anyway....because teams pressuring hard 15 meters out of goal NEVER score...tHAT piece of conjecture doesn't come into any calculations or pronouncements about "stealing a game" narrative

which brings up a second point about the prevailing gnashing of teeth narrative going on the whole idea that Carlton STOLE a game yelling and screaming going on as IF Carlton had anything to do with the rights or wrongs of an umpire's call -

which brings up a third observation

yeah the AFL planned for the call to be wrong they planned for the way the game was going to be played and who was going to lose and how..and exactly when ....

I mean get real what a beat-up.

Backchat Footycast podcast reporting today that the closest umpire to the kick actually called 'touched, play on' and the other umpire called a mark.

With 1 minute to go in a tight contest you'd think the umpires would be able to sort it out with a quick discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back