Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems they rarely pay even pretty obvious frees in the dying minutes or seconds if it will change the result - except if it benefits Carlton or Collingwood. There was a clear deliberate oob yesterday in the dying moments that wasn't called.
Carlton literally didn't get the most obvious block/front on contact free I have ever seen right in front of their goals with 1.55 left down 2 committed by a man with bleached blonde hair

there's no easy solution to this problem.
Sure there is.

The player informs the umpire their decision was wrong, and the decision is reviewed.

I’d say two calls a team could challenge every game would be enough. You’d really only want to challenge a call if it is likely to cost a goal at a critical time.

We wuz robbed, but we could've iced the game with some more smart decisions late.
I'm concerned that 4 umpires is really not much better than 2 or 3.
FFS I remember 1 umpire, and it was nowhere near as controversial as today
So do I, but that was 50 or so years ago.

There was nowhere near the amount of scrutiny back then, so there was nowhere near the amount of controversy.
VAR is the equivalent of our goal review. Is there any contact sport in the world where you can call a review for general play? Imagine Freo getting a clearance in that last 40 seconds and Cripps calls for a review on the ruck contest. The melts would be even harder.
NRL Captain's Challenge.

Technology has actually made the game worse.
Why would anyone in their right mind ever want to be an umpire.
AFL may have a big problem on their hands in years to come.

Adds absolutely nothing, hasn't removed howlers and has just created more controversy

And now there's numpties calling for "captains calls" in general play

Nonsensical stuff

"Random footy podcast" that has Hamish Brayshaw (Andy Brayshaw's brother) who has obviously been informed.

But no, just some randoms on the internet
On the couch had audio. You can hear an umpire say "I didn't call anything, I didn't call anything, it might have been one of your players, it certainly wasn't me". In the background you can hear a player yelling touched. Later as the dissent call is being sorted the same umpire is talking to O'Meara and clearly states "I didn't call touched".

Might be best to play that to Hamish Brayshaw and his random internet mates.

There was no audio of the dissent but the video shows as the goal is kicked Clark walks towards the other umpire from about 8 metres to 5 metres and yells something at him (supposedly this is where Clark claims that he swore at himself). . Immediately the umpire blows the whistle and the abuse free is paid. Hoping that someone can download the clip (at about 24 mins in on "On the Couch" as it gives a fairly good picture as to what happened without actually having the audio of the dissent.

Technology has actually made the game worse.
Why would anyone in their right mind ever want to be an umpire.
AFL may have a big problem on their hands in years to come.
Totally agree.

I know people always hark back to the good old days of 1 umpire, but some of those games were basically back-yard brawls but with the addition of a football. The South Fremantle/Claremont/Swan Districts games in the early 80s were brutal. The second umpire made the game heaps better as a game of skill. Guys like Jimmy Krackour could go and and play without fear of Ron Boucher of Benny Vigona trying to belt the living suitcase out of them. The change from 15m penalties to 50 also helped in this regard.

The third umpire, in theory, was a good idea. It was designed to clean up the contests at either end of the ground. I still think it can work. The premise is sound. What was the 4th umpire for?

There's obviously only a certain amount of people who can do the job - it's very difficult being a 360 game.

Clearly the 4th umpire hasn't worked and I can only assume it's because A) we don't have enough umpires who can do the job at an acceptable level and B) there's no reason for him to be out there.

On the couch had audio. You can hear an umpire say "I didn't call anything, I didn't call anything, it might have been one of your players, it certainly wasn't me". In the background you can hear a player yelling touched. Later as the dissent call is being sorted the same umpire is talking to O'Meara and clearly states "I didn't call touched".

Might be best to play that to Hamish Brayshaw and his random internet mates.

There was no audio of the dissent but the video shows as the goal is kicked Clark walks towards the other umpire from about 8 metres to 5 metres and yells something at him (supposedly this is where Clark claims that he swore at himself). . Immediately the umpire blows the whistle and the abuse free is paid. Hoping that someone can download the clip (at about 24 mins in on "On the Couch" as it gives a fairly good picture as to what happened without actually having the audio of the dissent.
This sums it up nicely.
I realise Freo want to think that the ump called touched..and want to think that Clark was swearing to himself about allowing Cottrell to mark it, way after the event, whilst looking at the umpire…and we all saw his teammates try and get to him to stop him continuing.
It’s time to move on.

Ball was touched by two different players before being "marked", yikes!
:poo:

Ok I’m more leaning towards the umpire being a bit silly now

I know a lot of calls are missed, and can understand them missing it but to get up in arms about what Clark apparently said and take the game completely out of reach is ridiculous

Unless it was a direct attack at the umpire, or a real meltdown then I don’t see a need to pay a free kick for a verbal reaction in frustration

This sums it up nicely.
I realise Freo want to think that the ump called touched..and want to think that Clark was swearing to himself about allowing Cottrell to mark it, way after the event, whilst looking at the umpire…and we all saw his teammates try and get to him to stop him continuing.
It’s time to move on.
Exactly, Ryan pushed him away from the umpire….he was obviously mouthing off at him

This sums it up nicely.
It’s time to move on.
I also agree with this too with the caveat that it was probably an overreaction from the umpire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I’m more leaning towards the umpire being a bit silly now

I know a lot of calls are missed, and can understand them missing it but to get up in arms about what Clark apparently said and take the game completely out of reach is ridiculous

Unless it was a direct attack at the umpire, or a real meltdown then I don’t see a need to pay a free kick for a verbal reaction in frustration

This is a good balanced take.

I don't genuinely think the umpires actually favoured Carlton, but I do believe the standard of umpiring is genuinely shithouse this year and the dissent free was incredibly cruel.

6 of the last 7 wins Carlton’s way. The games are always incredibly boring for 115 minutes until Fremantle do something undisciplined or they slip up defensively.

I wouldn’t say I’m looking forward to the next meet at all. However a bankable win in the fixture is always nice.
2 of those have been gifted to you from umpires in the dying seconds. The Newnes goal game was actually worse from an umpire point of view with the 7 x 50/50 calls to howlers in 30 seconds.

The other was an extra home game during covid thanks to AFL house. So it’s actually pretty close if you look at it objectively.

The results stand so no point arguing over the details. I also think Carlton do not pay the AFL umpires in paper bags so the laws of probability means there will likely be a square up in another close game we will have soon, potentially in a final or GF in the future.

All the Carlton fans will then see for themselves that the timing and importance of a decision is everything.

Last edited:
2 of those have been gifted to you from umpires in the dying seconds. The Newnes goal game was actually worse from an umpire point of view with the 7 x 50/50 calls to howlers in 30 seconds.

The other was an extra home game during covid thanks to AFL house. So it’s actually pretty close if you look at it objectively.

The results stand so no point arguing over the details. I also think Carlton do not pay the AFL umpires in paper bags so the laws of probability means there will likely be a square up in another close game we will have soon, potentially in a final or GF in the future.

All the Carlton fans will then see for themselves that the timing and importance of a decision is everything.

Nothing objective about that analysis.
It’s 6 of the last 7 to the Blues and anything more is Freo fluff.

Time will tell whether the universe squares it up. I would argue everything is already at an equal, the Cottrell goal was a gift for the blatant out on the full missed at the other end. Or Kennedy being dragged away from the initial marking contest by Ryan. Squares ups don’t come much better than that.

Nothing objective about that analysis.
It’s 6 of the last 7 to the Blues and anything more is Freo fluff.

Time will tell whether the universe squares it up. I would argue everything is already at an equal, the Cottrell goal was a gift for the blatant out on the full missed at the other end. Or Kennedy being dragged away from the initial marking contest by Ryan. Squares ups don’t come much better than that.
How about the Pearce free kick that Aish played on with that was called back? Freo were out and still 2 goals up at the time. With 3 minutes left.

What about the extra 10m that was given to the kick that got you within a goal.

There were plenty of decisions that occurred in the game that were iffy but only one team got the game decided by them, again.

How about the Pearce free kick that Aish played on with that was called back? Freo were out and still 2 goals up at the time. With 3 minutes left.

What about the extra 10m that was given to the kick that got you within a goal.

There were plenty of decisions that occurred in the game that were iffy but only one team got the game decided by them, again.

Only one team kicked 6 of their 9 goals from free kicks. Only one team lead the free kick count.

We could go all night. But there is no need to as there is already a winner and a loser.

Why won't they show us the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals?

I'll tell you why... Because Hewett's kick which was marked by Cotterell deflected off Aish's outstretched arm by about one metre.
It was an absolute howler of a non-decision from the umpires. Incredible that none of the 4 umpires were in position to see this.

I just assumed that the Freo players were complaining that Nat Fyfe touched it off the boot. Like most people, I thought, "Oh well... Umpires can't always tell if a player gets their fingernail on the ball. Freo are probably grasping at straws trying to claim it wasn't a mark."

But then I saw this footage and I was shocked...

It's so typical of the AFL that they'll do anything to gloss over the mistakes from umpires, especially the ones which decide a game.

Nathan Schmook's match report on afl.com had the headline "Undisciplined Dockers hand Blues controversial win"

No, they didn't. The 4 blind umpires handed the Blues a controversial win by not calling "touched, play on". The match was decided by Cottterell's match-winning goal with 45 secs left. The dissent shown by Jordan Clark which led to Carlton's 10th goal simply cost Freo the chance of salvaging a miracle win in the final seconds (which in all likelihood, probably wasn't gonna happen anyway.)

Schmook wrote, "Matthew Cottrell was then awarded a mark and converted his set shot as Dockers players pleaded with the umpire that the ball had been touched."

Why doesn't he write that the ball WAS touched and that Cotterell should not have been awarded the mark?

That's the real story... Pathetic journalism.

I watched the "The Round So Far" highlights with Riley Beveridge and Kane Cornes. They're repeating the same ploy, focusing more on the free kick against Clark for dissent. They're even using the "down the ground" footage from behind the goals to show the exact moment he said something to the umpire. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I'll ask again, why won't they show us this "down the ground" footage from a few seconds earlier and let us all see the wicked deflection the ball took off James Aish's arm?

They showed a close-up from a different angle where you can see the ball brushes Aish's hair (after it hit his arm) and Cornes pours cold water on the Dockers' protests, saying "That's a mark. We're paying that a mark in every instance. We always have."

Blatantly misleading the football public.

Incredible how they choose cover the umpires' arses and the AFL arses by not coming clean and admitting the obvious error

Shite journalism... That's what you get when they're all AFL bootlickers.

F**k the AFL.

edit: Blues fans, please try to take club colours out of this and look at the over-arching story. You got the 4 premiership points. Well done. But this is more about the umpires being unable to make an OBVIOUS decision between the four of them and costing a team a hard-earned win and then the AFL media not reporting the facts and trying to spin the story.

Well said 👍

Only one team kicked 6 of their 9 goals from free kicks. Only one team lead the free kick count.

We could go all night. But there is no need to as there is already a winner and a loser.
You can be a winner but still be a loser - Confucius

Last edited:
So the Umps missed a call like what happens every week across all the games.

Well who would of thought that would ever happen?! 🤦‍♀️

People just assuming Freo win the game if they called it are delusional and say they had Cottrell still had the ball 15m out directly in front of goal and who is to say what happens after that with 1min still left on the clock?? How one can just confidently say Freo still hold on from there is ludicrous and a typical knee jerk reaction and Salt mine that is this forum and social media in general.

I can’t believe that four umpires, plus two boundary umpires on the one wing, couldn’t see a blatant out on the full that would’ve resulted in a shot on goal up the other end of the ground. It was a much bigger blunder than a feint touch off a tricep.

Unfortunately it didn’t happen in the last minute of the game and the decision went against Carlton so no one cares.

What would you like the AFL to do? They have admitted it was wrong. It is what it is now.

Touched not once but twice
Can you see now why Clarke was venting ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back