News From the CEO's Desk 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

From the perspective of the women's team, I hope the first priority is planning its football department to be working in unison with existing structures wherever possible, eg. sports science, medical, physio.

Hell I'd be disappointed if the coaching structure didn't have significant overlap. That's a whole new chunk of staff and IP coming into the club; it'd be silly to wall it off.

From the perspective of the women's team, I hope the first priority is planning its football department to be working in unison with existing structures wherever possible, eg. sports science, medical, physio.

Hell I'd be disappointed if the coaching structure didn't have significant overlap. That's a whole new chunk of staff and IP coming into the club; it'd be silly to wall it off.
It would be nice to have some women on board and involved though.

It would be nice to have some women on board and involved though.
Oh absolutely, just saying by integrating and making future hires based around the collective workload and budget, that improves the development of both teams on and off the field.

Might also be a cheeky way to avoid the current spending cap.

If you got the text, and replied, stuff is apparently in motion. 3 weeks away.

Venue only holds 200-250 though, which despite our dwindling numbers is less than 2% of female member numbers (maybe 3-6% of adult female members).

I'm sure BG will be happy to field your queries in absentia
absolutely. i've also replied to the email saying if they have any seats to fill, i know a few interested female members. see if they come back

absolutely. i've also replied to the email saying if they have any seats to fill, i know a few interested female members. see if they come back

I received the email but can't make it as it's early for me.

I also know of a few other female friends of mine that were contacted as well and we were all Women Of Carlton Members.

CEO-Header+2.jpg

Dear Aph, :D

A quick update as we enter the last month of the home and away season.

Rising past 50,000

Firstly, on behalf of President Mark LoGiudice and everyone at Carlton, we’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who signed up as a member this year. This week, for the first time since 2013, we have surpassed 50,000 members in what is an incredibly pleasing and positive milestone. With your continued loyalty, support and commitment, the Club is no doubt moving in the right direction.

Although we’re proud to achieve this goal, we know we still have plenty of work to do to engage with our more than 700,000 supporters across the country. So in saying that, our sights are clearly set on an even more ambitious membership target next year!

Our women’s team

As the 2017 women’s competition draws closer by the month, we have been working hard to prepare for the inaugural season, which commences in February next year. Since we were granted a licence in June we have:

· Appointed Damien Keeping as senior coach. Damien has vast experience in coaching and specifically coaching women’s teams. In the full-time role he’ll also be responsible for managing the list, and the broader operations of the team.

· Appointed part-time assistant coaches and a strength and conditioning coach.

· Two marquee players have been signed to our list, Bri Davey and Darcy Vescio. Twenty-three more players will follow to make up a list of 25, comprising a ‘priority pick’, 19 via a state-based draft and three ‘free agents’ (from ‘across borders’).

· The Melbourne Rebels have vacated their premises here at Ikon Park and we are refurbishing them ready for the women’s team.

The pre-season will run parallel to the men’s team, starting in November. Obviously there will be input and direction from our experienced employees to build culture, leadership, as well as conditioning and team development throughout the summer.

This is a genuinely exciting initiative for our club and one that will help us grow. As the AFL has often said, there’s something of a ‘revolution’ going on, and it’s great for us to play a key part in it.

Our on-field progress

We’ve been very consistent in talking about striving for ‘growth’ this year. While the wins haven’t materialised recently, that growth is there and it’s obvious. It is showing in different ways. Firstly, it’s encouraging that we’ve been able to get the class of 2015 all up and going, if not all at the same time! Charlie Curnow’s injury (while it could have been worse) is disappointing, but the others are all in action and showing definite signs of development.

Secondly, there are metrics that indicate strong effort and a game style/method that will put us in good shape for the future, as well as measurable evidence of learning. So while we would obviously prefer to sing the song after games, the performances against the likes of Sydney and West Coast (in particular) demonstrate progress – or growth.

Third, the absence of our captain on field has created an opportunity for other players. Again, we’d love to have Murphy out there, but the on-field leadership opportunity it has provided to Simpson, Gibbs, Cripps, Curnow and Docherty has been incredibly valuable. No doubt members can see for themselves the growth in their leadership and performance – which is vital in helping the whole group grow.

Our northern connection

The Northern Blues have had a good month on the scoreboard, with senior coach Josh Fraser doing an outstanding job in developing our players.

Josh and his team continue to provide an exceptional environment for our players who are not selected at AFL level, as we continually get better at implementing a game plan and cultural/leadership congruence with the senior team.

As this builds, we’ve found improving individual form and better results – all underpinned by the same traits we’re demanding at AFL level – namely growth, effort and unity.

In readiness for 2017

Work has already begun on a very broad and deep agenda for 2017. This includes membership, the creation of the (northern corridor) Next Generation Academies, the women’s team, a continuing ‘mapping out’ of what an Ikon Park Masterplan would entail, and of course our football/list management items.

In the meantime, we will strive to get everything we can out of our remaining games in 2016. There are only two home games left, St Kilda in Round 20 and Melbourne in Round 22, and we would encourage all members and supporters to get along to those games and see the team in action.

Until next time, thanks for your support.

TriggSignature2015small.jpg

Steven Trigg
CEO, Carlton FC
Member ID: 37387730

16th September 2016:-

CEO-Header+2.jpg

Dear Aph,

With the 2016 season now behind us, I’d like to share the way we’ve reflected on it at the Club.

Like all members and supporters we were bitterly disappointed with the final game, but with the benefit of a little time and a little less emotion, the overarching view is that our 2016 ‘campaign’ produced many positives and much progress.

Throughout the long six months of an AFL season there’s bound to be ups and downs, however it needs to be remembered that we entered this season with a view that ‘growth’ and ‘unity’ would be our measures of success, and on both these fronts we’re largely pleased.

On field

Our on-field growth was evident winning three more game than last year, coupled with another five losses that were less than 12 points. Over the course of the year we were also ‘harder to score against’ which kept us ‘in’ many games throughout the season – a real positive and real growth!

In addition four members of our 2015 draft class made their AFL debuts and seven more made their debut for Carlton. Add in Harry McKay, who didn’t quite get there due to injury, and we believe we have a dozen young, long-term prospects to help us keep growing.

It would of course been handy to have our captain Marc Murphy on the field more often than we did. In his absence during the second part of the year, Kade Simpson and the rest of the leadership group took on more responsibility – and they stood up really well. In fact, if we reflect on where the growth has been, that senior group developed and performed admirably.

Sam Docherty, our newest John Nicholls medallist, along with others in leadership roles such as Kade, Patrick Cripps, Bryce Gibbs and Ed Curnow took up the top five spots at the best and fairest count. Their ability to take on more responsibility and perform represents progress as we strive to build the depth of our on-field leadership.

Off field

Despite our improved on-field form, our attendances over the year dipped a fraction. That wasn’t surprising to us given the dramatic change in our fixture from 2015 to 2016. On that subject, we have firmly emphasised to the AFL the need for more ‘balance’ in our 2017 fixture and ideally to see more (home game) action on a Saturday. We’ll keep you informed on next year’s fixture as it shapes up in late October.

In almost every other way, our off-field growth was also apparent. Our membership rose by 6% to over 50,000, our digital/social media reach grew by over 80,000 people, and our financial ‘bottom line’ is heading in the right direction (more on that later in the year).

We also reflect on the season as one of growth in respect to our members and supporters feeling a sense of belonging and connectedness; and also in relation to our engagement and inclusion of women (as members, supporters, staff and players). Our work and initiatives in these areas are seeing growth, particularly in the investment of women as members and as staff. Coupled with the acquisition of an inaugural AFL Women’s licence, it’s really significant in engendering a sense of belonging for girls and women who can start to ‘see more of themselves’ in our great club.

By the middle of next month we will have a full women’s list of 27 players and we’ll seek to find a way to have you meet them throughout their (Nov-Feb) pre-season program.

‘Growth’ is also how we’d describe our community efforts and leadership in social issues. A reconciliation with the family of Sir Doug Nicholls, the further development of our Reconciliation Action Plan and the development of our CARLTON RESPECTS program – adopting a leading role in the prevention of family violence – are all things to reflect on with a sense of pride and purpose.

In terms of unity? That one’s really straightforward. There’s absolutely no question that everyone at the Club is aligned in terms of where we’re at and where we’re going. Hopefully, for members, that’s best reflected in our consistency of message and the initiatives that reflect a ‘whole-of-club’ approach.

We believe, from all the feedback, that everyone (members included) understand that there is still an enormous amount of work to do, a lot of key list decisions to make, and on the back of that, even more growth. But we’ve made a start and as most would agree, a positive start.

Briefly for context, that ‘start’ (of a new program, under a new coach and a changing list) produced seven wins. In the first year of their new programs there are at least three ‘live’ examples of opponents who won four to five games as their new coaches got underway. All those have built from there, but it has taken time – just as it will for us.

With a good start being made, and with a clear plan to continue to inject youth in our list and build depth, it’s vital that we stay the course – as so many members have told us. There's no doubt Stephen Silvagni and his team have a busy time ahead.

Finally, on behalf of everyone at the Club, a huge thank you to you and all of our loyal members. We’ve talked a lot about growth and obviously we are determined to keep growing our membership; which means your renewal with us next season is vital and our membership team is here to help in any way.

In the meantime, thanks for your support!

TriggSignature2015small.jpg

Steven Trigg
CEO, Carlton FC
Member ID: 37387730

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trigg has punctuation OCD. Not 'everything' (necessarily) needs 'inverted commas' (or parentheses), Triggy.

SHANDIGGITY

Agree "totally"...

:p

Can't find much fault in how Trigg had gone about his job. I had an hour to kill this afternoon and watched the Open Mike interview with Marc and John Murphy. John spoke about how good the Father/son day was and how impressed he was about the direction the club is heading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back