Future Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

troy_sibbick

Debutant
Oct 13, 2003
Other Teams
adelaide
Whats everyone thoughts on who will be our next captain.

If Stinger leaves at the end of year have we got anyone on our current list.

Perhaps Maybe Reilly or Stiffy

Who do you think?

I can see McGregor and Begley as being part of our leadership group, but I don't think either of them, at this stage, are captain material.

Reilly and John**** are certainly candidates, and by the time Roo retires, they may be ready to take on the challenge as a young, eight-ten year captain.

I'd back Reilly at this stage, as I think he has more "star quality" than Stiffy.

To early to tell, but fortunately we have a few years on our side with Roo, which is just as well, as the captaincy will need to skip our "mid-age" player bracket.

See Kenny as part of the leadership group, but not a captain. Likely to be our next standout player, such as a Watts.

Ricciuto will captain for at least the next 3 years. Which is when Pavlich's next contract expires. Hence we throw everything at him to come back home and bribe him with the Captaincy!

Pavlich for Captain!!!:D

Originally posted by Mr Crow!
He's been mentioned before, but I'll say him again... Tyson Stenglien.

Look at all the Captains in the AFL they all do the inspirational stuff & can lift the Team. I Can't see Stenglein doing that!!

Originally posted by Riddler
Look at all the Captains in the AFL they all do the inspirational stuff & can lift the Team. I Can't see Stenglein doing that!!

Stenglein is just a solid average player.

Anyone who believes he's good enough to captain our club (if he stays of course) or thinks we can extract a first rounder or young-gun from one of the WA clubs in exchange for him is delusional.

McGregor is growing as a leader IMHO and I think he could be our next captain.

Personally, I think once Roo hangs them up, I see Watts as being a real candidate. Thats if he develops as everyone expects him to.

Originally posted by dyertribe

Anyone who believes he's good enough to captain our club (if he stays of course) or thinks we can extract a first rounder or young-gun from one of the WA clubs in exchange for him is delusional.

Ditto! ;)

I think the problem with our supporters is we seem to rate our players a bit more than what we should.

Can't see Kenny McG as captaincy material. A courageous and dependable CHB, yes, but he doesn't strike me as the sort to lead either verbally or by deeds.

Assuming we squeeze 3 more good years out of Roo - Brent Reilly looms as a candidate. Watts seems the "leader type", but that's even further down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of Reilly but i dont want to get too excited about him.
He is a victorian isnt he? Do you think he will stay here his entire career? its extremely rare these days especially playing interstate.
Who is not to say he wont do a Stenglien or Johnson?

Might be a stupid thing to say but we might be better off getting a south australian.

Reilly is a victorian isnt he? should of checked first :D

Originally posted by tatts00
Reilly is a victorian isnt he? should of checked first :D

Yes he is.

Look all those peddling Stinger's name, regardless of him probably going West, talk about appointing a captain by default... :confused:

Spot on

Rather keep him - he's a good average footballer

3 years down the track is a long time.

McGregor - not inspirational enough IMO

Reilly, Begley, and Rutten all have leadership qualities - but you need a crystal ball for 3 years.

Massie - I know his form is very average, but has the potential to be a leader of the AFC - big call says he;)

i reckon rielly will stay around he has already said he wants to be the next roo at AFC and i reckon when he got here he said he wanted to be a 1 team player - so did watts , so hopefully if we give him a leadership role he hangs around,

as for steinglien i think he basically gone so we should just make sure we get as much as we can for him

Originally posted by Grolm37
as for steinglien i think he basically gone so we should just make sure we get as much as we can for him

Which won't be anywhere near what many on this board believe we will get, I'm afraid.

Which won't be anywhere near what many on this board believe we will get, I'm afraid.
2nd round pick at best.
Will need to bundle with Perrie/Burton to get a 1st round and that will be a late first round.

( have to remember that 3 clubs only will get the first 6 picks, so it will be a long and extended 1st round this year)

( have to remember that 3 clubs only will get the first 6 picks, so it will be a long and extended 1st round this year) [/B][/QUOTE]

its a joke this year we are going to have our worst year since joining and the best pick we can get is 7, they need to look a bit harder at the whole communist regime thing they have happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back