Fyfe - Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect a deal has already been pre-arranged with a club in Melbourne.

Burgoyne and Hodge will probably finish this year - and Clarko tends to gets what he wants so he'll end up with the Hawks.

Tmitchell, Fyfe and a fit JOM. It doesn't bear thinking about.

What do you mean???

I think 90% of the footy public would acknowledge the Fyfe seems like a Flog. Everyone will admit that he is one of the best players in the comp, but never heard anyone say how well like and respected he is amongst his peers.

What's this forum come to if I can't call someone in Purple a flog
Racist!

No way could Hawks could afford Fyfe. I thought its was just Carlton (LOL) or Saints around the trade, obviously no-one would be that crazy to go to GC.

Before emotions take over, we should ask 4 questions

Why would he move?
What would it cost us?
Can we afford it?
How much better would we be with Fyfe in the team?

1. Reason to Move
Usual 4 are money, premiership opportunity, off-field commercial and going home.
Without knowing the other coin on offer, I suspect he could be got for 5 years at $1 mln p.a. which I believe we could match
He gets to stay in the same house without having to travel to Cockburn 4 times a week.
He is a big face around town and Maurice Meade would be able to match any off-field sponsorship deal in Melbourne.

2. The Price Tag – it is only show me the money
Free agent so zero in picks.
Money wise, the end of 2017 we say goodbye to eMac ($650k), Butler ($350k) and offer Priddis a salary reduction (assuming he will be getting less minutes and free up $150k) and Wellers probably gets less. In addition, the new cap will be up with the new pay deal. We will likely have to pay all of Mitchell’s salary in 2018 but open to pay him less on field in return for a bigger off field role in 2019 onwards.

3. Can we afford it?
Financially yes. Is our culture strong enough to add a dickhead into the team? Need Bond007 to answer that.
Only other question is will his leg continue to give him trouble? Our medicos would need to answer that.

4. What he brings
If you add him to our midfield, no doubt he makes us stronger. A bullocking forward who is “A grade”. He makes us better. Just think how excited many on this board got when we thought Yeo was possible going to play that role. We do not need him up forward like Freo do so resting forward is a luxury.

The deal killers
Our leadership team says no.
He wants to be captain
Simpson doesn’t like him
Medics are worried

The deal clutcher
We get to offer him jumper number 7, minus the ink. We then offer Freo our current number 7 for a knock down price (say pick 88) but they pay the full salary.

He lives in North Coogee, no concern about the driving distance to Freos new digs Id say.

But what an awfuly named place to have to work CockBurn.

Hell I almost feel the crutch and groin chafing just typing out the putrid word .... Right up there with Inaloo as a WTF were you thinking when the town planners come up with that jaffa of a suburb name.

CockBurn a very crypticly coded message there The WA Anchors .

Hell I almost feel the crutch and groin chafing just typing out the putrid word .... Right up there with Inaloo as a WTF were you thinking when the town planners come up with that jaffa of a suburb name.

I live maybe a 5 minute drive from their new training place. I have genuine concern zones might come in here for afl teams in the next 6-8 years as my nephew is well and truly a 1 eyed eagles defender and well on his way to playing footy at upper levels "Cockburn Dockers" never 2 shitter words

I'd rather (and do) live in Cockburn than Mandurah or Kwinana. Cruisey 5 mins from Coogee Beach and not too close to that horrid freeway entry. Couldnt give a * what the name of the place is, doubt Fyfe does either

I was prejudiced about Coogee thinking tanneries, dog food, abattoirs, etc. But that was all in the 80's. The key to that part of Perth is to stay on the main road and with a full tank of petrol. There are some good places but still waiting for neighbouring locales to improve. Wasn't long ago that the old empty packet of Samboy chips was recycled as a condom by the students at Hammy High.

BTW Monocle - you need to do some serious work with your sponsor.

Can't see him leaving Freo if staying in Perth.

Might go to swans and come out from his walk in robe.

Wouldn't want him.... I have an unhealthy dislike for the bloke tho. Will b interested to see how that leg holds up as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. The Price Tag – it is only show me the money
Free agent so zero in picks.
Money wise, the end of 2017 we say goodbye to eMac ($650k), Butler ($350k) and offer Priddis a salary reduction (assuming he will be getting less minutes and free up $150k) and Wellers probably gets less. In addition, the new cap will be up with the new pay deal. We will likely have to pay all of Mitchell’s salary in 2018 but open to pay him less on field in return for a bigger off field role in 2019 onwards.
I could be wrong but isn't he a restricted free agent? Meaning whatever we offer him Freo could just match, so in essence he would still cost us picks or players because we'd have to do a trade with Freo to get him, like Geelong did with Dangerfield.

I could be wrong but isn't he a restricted free agent? Meaning whatever we offer him Freo could just match, so in essence he would still cost us picks or players because we'd have to do a trade with Freo to get him, like Geelong did with Dangerfield.
This. It's a major stumbling block for us securing Fyfe even assuming he wants to come to us which is a massive assumption

Offering him more than freo would be prepared to match would be reckless list management so we would be forced to find a suitable trade which would be near impossible

If Fyfe leaves Fremantle, and I doubt very much he will, it will be to a Victorian club

If Fyfe is the flog everyone suggests, wouldn't it be natural for him to switch to the cross town rival just so he could win a premiership?

I think Fyfe has made it pretty clear that if the team doesn't lift to his expectations, then he will join a club fitting of his status.

At some point a big name player will be traded between to the WA teams, he'd love to be the first (if he's a flog). He'd love the attention.

Apparently he didn't even want to be drafted by Freo. Barracked for Richmond.

Last edited:
The bloke is 100% about his own brand, and he'll go where his marketing department tell him he can maximise his brand potential. This will be Victoria or Swans. No way I want this bloke in our team, he is overtly about himself, not the team...

Just checked the site and not clear but he is the minimum 8 years so I suspect he is restricted. Note that Freo also have Mundy (according to the site) coming as a free agent. Not sure but I can see Mundy being meh about Freo now that they have dropped him as captain.

Will be interesting. The 2 hot players are Fyfe and Dustin Martin. Let the games begin.

Just checked the site and not clear but he is the minimum 8 years so I suspect he is restricted. Note that Freo also have Mundy (according to the site) coming as a free agent. Not sure but I can see Mundy being meh about Freo now that they have dropped him as captain.

Will be interesting. The 2 hot players are Fyfe and Dustin Martin. Let the games begin.
Perhaps tigers happy to lose Dusty if it frees up the cheque book for fyfe. With Freo's list the way it is I could see them having the funds to match most offers so it'll be interesting if he does go.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really hope Fyfe stays at Freo
But to answer the question- no, I can't see us making a play for him (we don't have a history of trying to lure high profile recruits- that's more Freo than us, ironically)
Fyfe would be far more likely to move inter$tate than come to us anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back