Analysis Gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

And a good ruckman.
Interesting to watch the bulldogs decline... Ever since JJ went south, so have they. He was their play maker from half back.

We had a similar situation years ago with Matty Young.

Just reckon the loss of Joey is bigger than anticipated.

Desperately need some one who can at least match what Joey did.

In terms of the ruck...

The other thing we miss and missed last year was Roo giving the release target on the wing.

Sadly, Longer cannot do that so we now we don't have a decent option for when we go down the line.

The pressure game only works when all free kicks are paid.

Exactly. And it's moronic that we haven't adapted considering the opposition, wooden spoon contenders, know we:

- are over committed to the tackle
- don't get enough frees to make it feasible
- don't keep our feet
- have poor agility
- have poor quick fire hands
- have poor mental nerve to move through traffic

So they suck us in, let us lose our feet in the tackle, toy with us with their superior speed by hand and ability to shoot off in any directing (as apose to our steam trains floundering on the ground from yet another ineffective tackle - now useless to the play leaving us a man or two down).

It really looks like the oppo are a pack of jocks playing hot-potato keepings off from a bunch of fat kids.

actually, I take my ratten endorsement back. I've figured it out, we need a coach that has at least tetchy relationship with the media. R Lyon, Thomas - bad relationships with the media. Watson, Richo, Watters (multiple impromptu interviews by the sea with the breeze in his hair), media darlings

So I’ll start this by saying I’ve wanted to post about this for a long time, but never felt there was the right thread. Also, this is no defence of Richo, infact probably the opposite.

For those who say we have no plan B I agree, but want to clarify how I think one is developed.

I played under an excellent coach in a very successful period and was in the leadership group as we built a young group into a team. I have come to a conclusion that there isn’t really a plan A and a plan B.

A plan/ set of strategies is developed with a group of players over each season.

In the saint example. We started under richo with a run and gun, and have moved to (IMO) a pressure based game that is more careful. Most of the players we have should have been exposed to both structures and thus, there is the plan A and B.

It’s then up to the on field leaders and coaching to understand the oponants weakness and adapt the structure your advantage.

I don’t understand how we have 5 years with a group, and no fluidity between structures.

The way I see it, we have ditched each previous years plan, instead of building on it.

Also.... I haven’t read hardly any of this thread, so sorry if someone has already posted this.

Interesting to watch the bulldogs decline... Ever since JJ went south, so have they. He was their play maker from half back.

We had a similar situation years ago with Matty Young.

Just reckon the loss of Joey is bigger than anticipated.

Desperately need some one who can at least match what Joey did.

In terms of the ruck...

The other thing we miss and missed last year was Roo giving the release target on the wing.

Sadly, Longer cannot do that so we now we don't have a decent option for when we go down the line.
I think Joey loss on field has been huge, but also to the coaches.
Richo has said multiple times Joey was his favourite person to discuss tactics and gameplan with and Joey would essentially run a lot of the meetings.
I think the whole club is feeling the loss of him, coaches and players, and underestimated how much he contributed to everything.

I think Joey loss on field has been huge, but also to the coaches.
Richo has said multiple times Joey was his favourite person to discuss tactics and gameplan with and Joey would essentially run a lot of the meetings.
I think the whole club is feeling the loss of him, coaches and players, and underestimated how much he contributed to everything.
It's funny I was just about to post exactly that. I think we at times underestimate the loss of our on field leaders. First Schneider, then Joey, probably Roo too.

Stuv might whisper a bit to his ruckman from time to time, Brucey does a little without necessarily being smart enough to see the play coming. Geary obviously but he's generally toiling away in a pocket. Carlisle needs to assert himself on the team more. His sticky entrance is ages ago now, he's got every right to step up and start marshalling the crew down there.

In 2016, I got the feeling that this was a strength of Mav's, but who knows? Dunstan would probably help.

Personally, I would get Dunstan back in for Armo or Stevens permanently, then Mav for the other as form dictated. Mav is a proper peacock when the team is going well and I look forward to the days of him chinning the opposition and making his teammates walk tall again.

I get the sense that Richo and the coaches are giving them the plays but the team doesn't have anyone on the ground who knows when to execute which play, or who doesn't read the situation quickly enough.

Someone else suggested reintegrating the co-captaincy structure that GT set up, which is distinctive from 2 vice captains. Not a bad idea, I reckon. Geary, Newnes, Dunstan. Time for the leaders to step up and claim their club.

It's funny I was just about to post exactly that. I think we at times underestimate the loss of our on field leaders. First Schneider, then Joey, probably Roo too.

Stuv might whisper a bit to his ruckman from time to time, Brucey does a little without necessarily being smart enough to see the play coming. Geary obviously but he's generally toiling away in a pocket. Carlisle needs to assert himself on the team more. His sticky entrance is ages ago now, he's got every right to step up and start marshalling the crew down there.

In 2016, I got the feeling that this was a strength of Mav's, but who knows? Dunstan would probably help.

Personally, I would get Dunstan back in for Armo or Stevens permanently, then Mav for the other as form dictated. Mav is a proper peacock when the team is going well and I look forward to the days of him chinning the opposition and making his teammates walk tall again.

I get the sense that Richo and the coaches are giving them the plays but the team doesn't have anyone on the ground who knows when to execute which play, or who doesn't read the situation quickly enough.

Someone else suggested reintegrating the co-captaincy structure that GT set up, which is distinctive from 2 vice captains. Not a bad idea, I reckon. Geary, Newnes, Dunstan. Time for the leaders to step up and claim their club.
I maybe be delusional, especially after Friday, but I feel our players are just confidence and leadership away from being a top 8 team.

Imagine Billings strutting around the forward line - it would take him to the next level. It is like at times he is too shy or polite to show everyone how good he is and being the centre of attention. He needs to use his voice more for the players around him - he is clearly a smart footballer and is aware of what is happening around him and doing this will help everyone else around him better.

Same with Carlisle. He needs to play into his villain persona, thats when he plays his best football.

Dunstan is exactly who we need out on the field- he just has that passion and leadership you want from a leader and I feel the other players respond well to that. I was hoping he would be in the leadership group this year as I feel he is a better leader than Stuv and Roberton. I like the idea of co-captain, I would have Ross and Newnes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like before start knifing the coach and players, we need to address the leadership area.

If the loss of Roo and Joey is the cause, then it will take a few months to see change as our next generation grows into their roles.

i agree we need to improve it

however the opening statement i have questions on. what if the current football dept cant develop the leaders?

We didn’t interview him, he refused to be interviewed because he had gone through the same process Scott Watters went through a couple of years earlier. We begged him to come to us & he took advantage of the situation.
This isnt what happened at all. He responded that he wasnt going to come all the way to Melbourne from Adelaide to be interviewed if it was just a preliminary "Tyre kicking" running through different options. The club responded by saying we were definitely interested and come to the interview.

This isnt what happened at all. He responded that he wasnt going to come all the way to Melbourne from Adelaide to be interviewed if it was just a preliminary "Tyre kicking" running through different options. The club responded by saying we were definitely interested and come to the interview.

Choose to believe this artical or not:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...0cb266677?sv=a24a81b6a9b8457962ef726643a709a3

“It is believed he was guaranteed the position without a formal interview, such is the urgency for the Saints to fill the role”.

He initially turned the role down, we came begging after the Chocco Williams deal fell through over contract length.

It’s funny how we all remember things differently.

Last edited:
Choose to believe this artical or not:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...0cb266677?sv=a24a81b6a9b8457962ef726643a709a3

“It is believed he was guaranteed the position without a formal interview, such is the urgency for the Saints to fill the role”.

He initially turned the role down, we came begging after the Chocco Williams deal fell through over contract length.

It’s funny how we all remember things differently.
We are so....... St.Kilda at times aren't we :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back