Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
Local news saying 6 games at Adelaide Oval including a double header, 2 games at suburban grounds such as Glenelg Oval & Unley Oval, 1 game at the Barossa Valley.

Seriously!!! what's the point of this???
I agree with your sentiments.

About the ONLY way I can see it succeeding is

Adelaide Oval
Thursday Night - Adelaide vs ?????
Friday Night - Port Adelaide vs ?????
Saturday Afternoon - Richmond vs Essendon
Saturday Night - West Coast vs Sydney
Sunday Afternoon - Collingwood vs Carlton
Sunday Night - Geelong vs Brisbane

Prospect Oval - North Melbourne vs Fremantle
Woodville Oval - Gold Coast vs Greater Western Sydney
Barrossa - ????? vs ?????

If you don't put a marquee matchup in a double header at AO, it'll be embarrassing as f*ck. And we dont normally get all big 4 teams playing each other each year anyway, so ensure it through this to draw in more fans.

If they have a pure neutral standalone game at Adelaide Oval, tickets better be $20 otherwise it'll flop hardcore.

You either replicate what the NRL has with double/triple headers
Or you don't ****ing bother.
Because going another route (which we seem to be going down) just screams white elephant.

As per The Age this evening.

The AFL’s magic round is bound for South Australia after the league accepted the state government’s enthusiastic bid to host the inaugural event.

The location for the extra round, a scheduling change which means each team will play 23 games over 24 rounds in 2023, will be announced no later than Friday.

Adelaide Oval

If you don't put a marquee matchup in a double header at AO, it'll be embarrassing as f*ck. And we dont normally get all big 4 teams playing each other each year anyway, so ensure it through this to draw in more fans.

If they have a pure neutral standalone game at Adelaide Oval, tickets better be $20 otherwise it'll flop hardcore.
You can put a line through Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon matching up against each other as these would be reserved for the MCG. You can rule out Hawthorn & Geelong match up as well for the same reason.

Big Vic vs Small Vic club would be played at Adelaide Oval. The rest of the low crowd drawing games will be farmed out to the suburbs.

I’m not sure what the general sentiment is but I personally think it’s a great idea.

I’m hoping the timelines line up so I’ll be able to make the car trip over from Melbourne. I’m not expecting marquee games other than the showdown and maybe one or two others to draw some interest.

I’m not sure what the general sentiment is but I personally think it’s a great idea.

I’m hoping the timelines line up so I’ll be able to make the car trip over from Melbourne. I’m not expecting marquee games other than the showdown and maybe one or two others to draw some interest.
Ill wait to see what it looks like.

But the talk of 6 games at AO including 1 double header

That means 4 stand alone games (And games probably spanning from Thursday through Monday - And one would assume Adelaide/Port will get the bookends)
2 of which will be 100% neutral

That's a disaster waiting to happen unless it's cheap as f*ck

How many people would go to Collingwood vs Fremantle at $50 a head?

Ill wait to see what it looks like.

But the talk of 6 games at AO including 1 double header

That means 4 stand alone games (And games probably spanning from Thursday through Monday - And one would assume Adelaide/Port will get the bookends)
2 of which will be 100% neutral

That's a disaster waiting to happen unless it's cheap as f*ck

How many people would go to Collingwood vs Fremantle at $50 a head?
If Brisbane is playing straight afterwards at the same ground though, I would “want to get” paid $50 to watch Collingwood versus Fremantle battle against each other ;)

You can put a line through Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon matching up against each other as these would be reserved for the MCG. You can rule out Hawthorn & Geelong match up as well for the same reason.

Big Vic vs Small Vic club would be played at Adelaide Oval. The rest of the low crowd drawing games will be farmed out to the suburbs.
Here's which Big 4 matchups haven't had double up games since GWS entered the league
2022 Carlton vs Essendon, Collingwood vs Richmond
2021 Carlton vs Essendon, Carlton vs Richmond, Collingwood vs Richmond, Essendon vs Richmond
2019 Carlton vs Collingwood, Carlton vs Essendon, Essendon vs Richmond
2018 Carlton vs Essendon, Carlton vs Richmond
2017 Carlton vs Collingwood, Collingwood vs Richmond, Essendon vs Richmond
2016 Carlton vs Richmond, Collingwood vs Essendon
2015 Carlton vs Essendon
2014 Carlton vs Richmond, Collingwood vs Richmond
2013 Collingwood vs Richmond

20 in 9 seasons, that's an average of 2.2 matchups per season.

Would the AFL rather tap into the rivalry and draw fans from interstate to make it succeed, or not play it at all?

They should have the 2 big 4 matchups that wouldn't occur in the other 22 rounds to be the basis to build around double headers.

Have an Essendon vs Carlton at 2pm into a Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs at 5:30pm
Have a Collingwood vs Richmond at 1pm into a St Kilda vs North Melbourne at 4:30pm

I felt early on Magic round was a great idea. But it sounds like they're taking the 1 route it can fail. (4 standalones which you'd assume at least 2 would be 100% neutrals)

They need to play these games here now to salvage it. Because 3 games at suburban/regional games, taking away the appeal of double/triple headers will scuttle it. At least have marquee games that wouldn't otherwise be played in those standalone games to make it work. ie. Dreamtime in Perth.

I'll make up my mind once the final fixture is out.

However, right now I'm skeptical with the format they're going with. But lets see what they can do with it. They're going to need big games like the big4 matchups they skip each year to make it work imo.

Adding an extra round of football for a concept absolutely nobody was asking for or can understand the point of.

Wow.

I usually defend the AFL on new innovations as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Malinauskas is not going to use wind energy for magic round night games.

Here's which Big 4 matchups haven't had double up games since GWS entered the league
2021 Carlton vs Essendon, Carlton vs Richmond, Collingwood vs Richmond, Essendon vs Richmond
2015 Carlton vs Essendon

Would the AFL rather tap into the rivalry and draw fans from interstate to make it succeed, or not play it at all?

They should have the 2 big 4 matchups that wouldn't occur in the other 22 rounds to be the basis to build around double headers.

Have an Essendon vs Carlton at 2pm into a Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs at 5:30pm
Have a Collingwood vs Richmond at 1pm into a St Kilda vs North Melbourne at 4:30pm

I felt early on Magic round was a great idea. But it sounds like they're taking the 1 route it can fail. (4 standalones which you'd assume at least 2 would be 100% neutrals)

They need to play these games here now to salvage it. Because 3 games at suburban/regional games, taking away the appeal of double/triple headers will scuttle it. At least have marquee games that wouldn't otherwise be played in those standalone games to make it work. ie. Dreamtime in Perth.

I'll make up my mind once the final fixture is out.

However, right now I'm skeptical with the format they're going with. But lets see what they can do with it. They're going to need big games like the big4 matchups they skip each year to make it work imo.
The issue is Richmond and Essendon play in round 8 or 9 so having them play in round 5 is too short of a turn around to play again.

Adelaide Oval

I'd get West Coast up to the Barossa ground given Hurn is from that area.

WCE v. Dons would be a good game. Especially since I'd be lining up going :)

2015 Carlton vs Essendon

while its true, most people wont see it that way. They'll see it as one of their biggest blockbusters being removed from Melbourne - And especially if the reverse fixture is your away game.

Most would rather it not be played at all, rather than be played in Adelaide.

Accommodation is already expensive so would recommended anyone thinking of going to book. Can cancel anytime remember. Also a few hotels already booking out (maybe locking out reservations to pump up the prices also).

Flights at the moment seem relatively cheap so get on quickly. It's difficult to confirm anything without knowing the dates of games though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back