Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my stab at the possible fixture

THU: WB V GEEL - AO

FRI: PA V COL - AO

SAT: GWS V MELB - UNLEY, 1

SAT: GC V FRE - NORWOOD, 2

SAT: SYD V BL - AO, 4

SAT: ADEL V CARL - AO, 7

SUN: ESS V STK - AO, 1

SUN: RICH V WCE - BAROSSA, 3

SUN: HAW V NM - AO, 4

People wanting this to be a flop are in for a bit of a shock I think. Hotels seem to be already booking up quickly, personally know several people who have already booked to fly in with only dates announced. Tickets might be a nightmare. Hopefully club members get first dibs.
Assume they from Perth.
Driving to Adelaide from Melbourne is easy enough there no need to book flights early unless you certain you want to go and tickets dirt cheap on flights this far ahead.

Maybe swap Barossa game to the Bay. Richmond can then feel at home.

Not sure if interstaters will want to fly to Adel then drive up and back to the Barossa for a country footy game?

Geelong play on the previous monday, they wont be playing any of the thursday, friday or saturday games nor will Hawthorn.

TBH I think today's announcement was a bit of a nothing burger.
We knew it was happening we roughly knew when it was happening and for the last few days which city it was happening in I thought they would at least say these will be the matches you will see on that weekend announcing times and dates when the full fixture is released, instead they pretty much told us what we more or less already knew.

Thursday 7:10pm - Adelaide vs Collingwood - Adelaide Oval
Friday - 7:10pm - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - Adelaide Oval
Saturday - 1:10pm - North Melbourne vs West Coast - Nuriootpa Oval
Saturday - 2:10pm - Essendon vs Carlton - Adelaide Oval
Saturday - 4:10pm - Melbourne vs Gold Coast - Norwood Oval
Saturday - 7:10pm - St Kilda vs Sydney - Adelaide Oval
Sunday - 12:40pm - Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Adelaide Oval
Sunday - 2:10pm - Richmond vs Greater Western Sydney - Richmond Oval
Sunday - 4:40pm - Fremantle vs Geelong - Adelaide Oval

Dunno why they made it free of charge to members, $50 per day like the NRL one and it still would have easily sold out in Adelaide.

Collingwood v Sydney Thursday night Adelaide Oval

Richmond v Brisbane Friday night Adelaide Oval

Crows v West Coast in Barossa Valley Saturday
Bulldogs v Saints Norwood Oval Saturday
Melbourne v Carlton Saturday night Adelaide Oval
North v Giants curtain raiser in that Saturday double header.

Port Power v Fremantle in Port Augusta Sunday
Suns v Cats Sunday Adelaide Oval
Essendon v Hawks Sunday curtain raiser Adelaide Oval

Wouldn't most non SA teams fans want their team playing in the Barossa? It's a no brainer for me. 24 hours out in the Barossa touring wineries and watching your footy team half tanked, and a night in the big smoke at Adelaide Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Word* is that the event will be called CRAVE SA.

Complete
Round of
AFL.
Visit,
Enjoy
South
Australia

Marketing Campaign built around tourism eg Crave a Football Feast, Crave a Barossa Shiraz, Crave a Riverland Cruise, Crave a KI long weekend….

Won’t use Adelaide in the title as want to push the Regional / Tourism angle.

… and becomes an AFL transferable brand if it’s successful, to CRAVE WA, CRAVE NSW, etc.

*”Inside Word” means just ”Inside my head” ha ha.

Would have thought neither Adelaide or Port Adelaide will be involved in the double header... as members can watch both games... so reckon they play Thursday & Friday nights.

I'd be happy for Freo to play North in our extra match up in some remote SA match prior to later playing North in Perth.

I don't want to play Geelong in remote SA and then Geelong in Geelong later in the year.
As a fan watching from home I'd agree. As a fan looking to travel to see their team play I'd rather look at another weekend in Melbourne and see all the other games there that week: Same experience minus the hassel of going to and coming back from somewhere remote (and I'd experience a far better atmosphere too).

Mediocre concept. Terrible (as so far floated) execution.

Pretty obvious. The clubs the AFL see as either meaningless or non Vic will get a paddock at Barossa or Noarlunga, or wherever they plan on playing games. Collingwood to get prime time at AO. It’s not that hard to work the fixture out.

I think Port and Crom will play the Thursday and Friday night against smaller interstate sides, neutrals will fill the venue if they are in town (I certainly will if i can get a ticket). The double headers you'd think will be the bigger interstate clubs with already decent SA support.

Jesus this aint an attack on south australia. Would be saying the same thing if it was in geelong.
I didn't take it as one. I just don't see how this round is apparently such an issue in your head when every other fixture inequality issue isn't.

Your team should be playing all their home games, including finals, at alphabet stadium by the by, I'd be kicking up about that as a Cats supporter rather than this neutral extra game.

So they flew Gil over to Adelaide to make an announcement about something we already knew 18 hours earlier.

Would’ve thought they could have at least locked in the venues and 9 time slots.

Thu night- Port v rich -
Fri night - Adel v coll -
Sat 1pm - Gws v bulldogs - norwood
Sat 1pm - Nth v Gold Coast- barossa
Sat- 4pm - Freo v Melb -
Sat - 730 pm - Carlton v St kilda
Sun - 1pm - West Coast- Hawthorn - Richmond oval
Sun - 4pm - Ess v sydney
Sun - 730pm - Brisbane v geelong

This is a rumoured draft I heard about looks realistic and sensible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back