Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic round should first be held in Mebourne next year as a gesture for Victorians who missed out on 1 and a half years of footy due to lockdowns.

Then it rotates to other states from year 2.

Yeah, really not enough opportunity to get to the footy in Victoria.

They could call it ‘+3 Round’ instead - the most amazing and exciting round of the year when an additional 3 games for the week are played in Victoria.

Was Gil sitting there think "what's a ridicules idea I can implement on my way out and not have to worry about the fallout from".

Good idea I like it.

Would bring in a good 30 mill per year for the game when you take into account tv paying about 2 mill per game, a state bidding to host the weekend and ticket sales going to the AFL. It might help to lessen the impact of the massive annual losses of running the AFLW which will be around the 50 mill mark annually.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idea is fine as long as it isn't the same teams losing a home game every year.
Shits me to no end that the storm lose a normal rivalry home game that'd draw 20k in Melbourne

Idea is fine as long as it isn't the same teams losing a home game every year.
Shits me to no end that the storm lose a normal rivalry home game that'd draw 20k in Melbourne
No one loses a home game

11 home. 11 away. 1 neutral.
If held in perth, freo and west coast would play away at a regional ground like bunbury or busselton.
Ditto for adelaide teams if held in sa and qld teams if held in qld.

Extra footy. Brilliant

Love the idea. Obviously take over Sydney/Canberra while the NRL does their Magic Round in Qld. Effectively creates a situation where some Victorian Clubs will play 3 times a year in Sydney..... start selling 3 game memberships in Sydney.....lots of upside. AFL is far too Melbourne centric for it's own good.
An extra round so all clubs still play 11 home 11 away + Carnival Round..

Make it an actual Magic Round and get a game of Quidditch going.

Is anyone beating this line up?

Seeker - Patrick Cripps
Chaser - Harry McKay
Chaser - Charlie Curnow
Chaser - Sam Walsh
Beater - Matt Kennedy
Beater - Adam Saad
Keeper - Jacob Weitering

Cripps is the former AFL-X Coleman medalist (Carlton technically have 3) so we know his capabilities at code hopping.

Make it an actual Magic Round and get a game of Quidditch going.

Is anyone beating this line up?

Seeker - Patrick Cripps
Chaser - Harry McKay
Chaser - Charlie Curnow
Chaser - Sam Walsh
Beater - Matt Kennedy
Beater - Adam Saad
Keeper - Jacob Weitering

Cripps is the former AFL-X Coleman medalist (Carlton technically have 3) so we know his capabilities at code hopping.

Think you need a faster seeker.

Saad was my first thought before seeing him as a beater.

Not even the chosen one could outrun (fly) him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back