News Gears Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

What a warrior. Some have all the talent in the world and never make it. Others can eke every last bit of everything they have and throw down with the best. That was Geary. Nothing but admiration for the man.

It's funny - Geary's first few years were played at a time when the club was playing finals, but from 2008-2011 he played 52 games for 1 final, as a sub. In contrast Robert Eddy played 33 games over the time (his entire career) but 9 finals.

So it was so fitting that his best game, his most important game, after all the toil and hard work through the lean years of the 2012-2019 period was in a final.

Thanks Jarryn - Strength Through Loyalty.

What a legend of the club, gave 110% every time. Still remember his big tackle on Jonathon Patton a few years back.

Hopefully he stays around, could see him being a runner for the team, would help with on field leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m glad the man got to be a part of that elimination final against the bulldogs in 2020 especially in that memorable role of defensive forward against Caleb Daniel. Watching him take contested marks on Daniel and booting goals was a beauty.

Cheers Gears

Gears is the perfect epitome of our footy club IMO.

Never the best or the flashiest, but always gave 110%.

Only played in 3 finals, lost 2, but had a vital contribution in the one that he won.

Above all though - criminally underrated as a leader by the rest of the league during his time as captain. Had to take over from the best and longest-serving captain in the club's history, and nailed it. Steered the ship during a phase of relative mediocrity and was huge in the development of Steele as a leader.

Really hope he stays on with us in some kind of coaching/mentoring capacity.

Thanks Gears

This is legitimately sad to me. Cruelled by injury in his final few seasons and took on the impossible task of captaining the club immediately after Roo, probably the hardest job one could imagine. In some ways I rate the players that stuck by us or lead us during rough times more than the rest, in that they showed a level of loyalty to the club that most supporters hope for all players that wear the Saints colours.

A great clubman is the best way to describe Gears I think. I haven't read the article yet so don't know if he's retiring immediately or end of season. If end of season I would hope he gets a final game, think he deserves it.

BOG in his first final as skipper...says it all really.

Well done Gears!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right time but thankful for his leadership in the transition before Steele emerged. Shame he had so little success late but glad he got at least 1 more finals campaign in 2020 to show what he was made of and bloody oath did he do that 💪

I thought he’d come back as a small forward and kick 40 in a season. He was on track at one stage.
Shame it’s an injury that’s taken him out, he deserved better but will always be a hero in our eyes - and rightfully so.
Good luck old mate 💪🏻

Cheers Gears. 👍

Showtime Thank You GIF by Desus & Mero

Genuinely sad about this one.

Didn't expect him to be the next captain after Roo... but then it all made sense.

Absolutely fearless in every way.

Thanks for everything Gears.

What a solid clubman, courageous leader and all round genuine person to lead our club.

Geary was the type of player that you’d never question in terms of effort and want to be playing. He really gave it all & got everything he could out of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back