Geelong; pressure chokers or unfamiliar with the heimlich maneuver? An analysis of recent times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint KFC

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2008
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Gunners, Mavs
It all started in 2007. Geelong, the eventual premiers over a Port Adelaide team that was clearly overwhelmed with the situation, faltered and wavered at the hands of less panicky and spooked opponents. In Round 1, Geelong had no answers to a Bulldogs outfit lacking key cogs in Chris Grant and Brian Lake. Johnno kicked 8 goals on highly touted oppoent Matthew Scarlett, and Geelong were repeatedly left without an answer as the Bulldogs overthrown the stunned outfit. Luke Darcy and Robert Murphy played their first games since knee reconstructions, whilst Akermanis also posted his first game in the red, white and blue. It was a day to forget for Geelong fans, although little did their fans realise that a close loss (20 points) to a team of extra mental fortitude would prove to be a regular occurance over the following years.

Round 4 2007, Geelong v Hawthorn. Luke Hodge, a player with anti-Geelong Kryptonite pumping through his veins, was found to be the difference, notching up 29 disposals and 11 marks, in a performance synonymous with many to come against the twitchy Geelong outfit. Perennial spud Mark Williams topped all goal scorers with 3 majors, which, although unspectacular, was enough to overcome a Geelong outfit by 4 points, a Geelong outfit acting like a deer caught in the headlights. Ironically, Geelong have been caught in the headlights ever since, only taking the time to glance away when an easy kill is within distance.

The next round of the 2007 season proved to be yet another example of Geelong tripping over their feet, this time falling to a shinboner outfit harbouring will to win whilst Geelong were (and still are) harbouring shakes not unlike those seen in Michael J Fox. It was another narrow loss, this time under 3 goals (16 points), and lo and behold, at the Cattery; Geelong's supposed fortress, Skilled Stadium. Rated rank underdogs, the Kangaroos were harder, faster, stronger, and had desire to burn. Geelong however, had about as much momentum as an ant travelling at 1m/s. Cameron "choking personified" Mooney managed to miss a set shot with minutes remaining, sealing a fate that the Cats of today have grown accustomed to.

Round 21 2007, Geelong have sealed up the minor premiership. Coming up against eventual runners up Port Adelaide, they were cocky. They were confident. But this confidence was misplaced - Geelong managed to once again do their best impression of Chocko after the 2004 Grand Final, losing by a narrow 5 points at the Cattery fortress. Geelong had no answer to the Cornes brothers, both knocking up a cool 32 disposals against the much revered Geelong midfield. 3 goals down at three quarter time, Geelong put forward a run that proved to be insufficient. In fact, as soon as the run began, a narrow Geelong defeat was merely a foregone conclusion.

Skip forward a few weeks to the 2007 Preliminary Final between Geelong and Collingwood. Geelong were hot favourites; minor premiers, coming off a 106 point win in a one-sided Qualifying Final affair. Most expected an easy Geelong win, paving the path for a Grand Final appearance. Although the latter statement proved true, the former was contradicted due to a Collingwood outfit with nothing to lose. In front of 98000 fans, Geelong stood shocked, much alike Kepler Bradley when faced with an opposing player. It was a 5 point loss for the Pies, although they confirmed what before was hypothesised; Geelong handle pressure about as well as Tambling handles the football.

Come the 2008 AFL Season, many were expecting Geelong to brutally overrun the competition, which in some ways, they did. But as the saying goes, a leopard doesn't change its spots, and this time it was Clarko's Hawks who proved to be the question that Geelong just couldn't answer. But it was in the Indigenous Round, Round 9, that Collingwood showed that "if it bleeds, we can kill it." 86 points was the final margin - Didak proved instrumental against Geelong captain Tom Harley (aka Richie Vandenberg Mk II), notching up 26 disposals and 2 goals. Geelong were insipid - slow, lumbering, incapable. All traits known to be possessed by Nick Gill, all traits known to be possessed by Geelong in big games.

Round 17 - the apprentice in Hawthorn comes up against the master in Geelong. For those who aren't in the know, what came next was periodic, predictable and never in doubt. Geelong barely scraped out a win - 11 points was the final margin. Then came the Grand Final, Hawthorn once again up against a Geelong outfit looking to go back to back. It is fair to assume that after a 119-point drubbing in their previous Grand Final and an 11-point win against their opponents in their previous encounter, Geelong waltzed in expecting a walk over. It was fitting, that in none other than the premiership quarter, Hawthorn showed what it took to win a premiership against decent opposition, something Geelong has been incapable of doing since the stone age. Cam Mooney's miss just before half time epitomised the Geelong performance, predictably in a big game; like a deer caught in the headlights. Geelong were shocked - 23 behinds, a direct product of their inability to cope with sufficient pressure. Geelong players were hearing footsteps all game, fumbling the ball, and just generally ****ing up in front of a crowd exceeding the 100,000 mark. Inspirational Hawk Luke Hodge attained the Norm Smith, to the dismay of little bald Gazza, who seemed to be more disappointed about missing out on the individual accolade than losing the Grand Final in unforgettable circumstances. But, one could say that he is forgiven; after all, he does have one premiership medal, a premiership medal garnered against a side not unlike a country U12's outfit.

Fast forward to today, and one can surely forgive a Geelong supporter for feeling a bit like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. But first, let me set the scene for the kids of tomorrow who will surely look back upon this post as a source of gospel. Round 14, 2009. Two teams sit unbeaten - St. Kilda (1st position) and Geelong (2nd position). Geelong entered the game as favourites, priced at $1.55 compared to St. Kilda's $2.45. Noone believed that the Saints were going to win, spouting fallacious rhetoric such as "They are yet to face decent opposition", "They don't stand a chance against Geelong" and constant references to 1966 and The Streak DVD. Pressure was on St. Kilda to prove themselves as premiership contenders, whilst pressure was on Geelong to reaffirm their status as the competition front-runners. The former dealt with the pressure sufficiently; the latter faltered, instead reaffirming their status as handbaggers. The seasoned tipster would have lent towards St. Kilda, merely due to Geelong's proven inability to perform on the big stage; the average VB/XXXX sipping punter sporting a flanno and mullet would have lent towards the Cats, due to their overall form in the past seasons. The game started and St. Kilda reacted accordingly and flew out of the blocks, whilst Geelong sat bewildered at the starting line, scratching their heads and shouting "what the ****...". St. Kilda were five goals ahead before the umpires decided that they had better shift the momentum before a blowout ensured, and thus a goal was gifted to Gary "handpass it to me, handpass it to me" Ablett. Much maligned ruck Michael Gardiner grabbed Geelong by the scruff, opting for no lube as he headed towards a 4 goal performance, with his final major proving to be the gamewinner, kicked after a gutsy Leo Barry-esque mark in the dying minute. He calmly slotted the sealer, whilst Geelong stood stunned, scratching their behinds with the Benny Hill theme running through their heads. An empty feeling of deja-vu is just as much of Geelongs culture as ninth place is for Richmond.

It has been endemic since 2007, ingrained in Geelong footy culture for years to come. Kids will look back through the ages and remark at the Geelong side of the new millenium's tendency to perfom like Pierce Brosnan in Mrs Doubtfire. Cats fans can only sit aghast, shocked that their only weakness is a byproduct of their early success. Not only that, but said weakness is now robbing them of any future success. An undesirable situation, and one can only wonder when Geelong will finally buck the trend and spit out the food caught in their throats, or if said piece of food will stay lodged in their trachea for generations to come.

yeah we're chokers with the 2007 trophy in the cabinet

St Kilda are the greatest team ever but still without a companion for 1966.

/thread.

yeah we're chokers with the 2007 trophy in the cabinet

St Kilda are the greatest team ever but still without a companion for 1966.

/thread.

Now, now - you can't just go throwing away a title that the media has bestowed on your club and reinforced on a weekly basis for two seasons on a whim.

Geelong are the greatest team ever - they just choke in the big ones.

Now, now - you can't just go throwing away a title that the media has bestowed on your club and reinforced on a weekly basis for two seasons on a whim.

If Round 14 is a big one then Round 17 last year a big one.

You clowns pick and chose our chokes whenever it pleases...

Isn't it your scungy mob that are always crying about the only performances that count come in September.
You do remember what happened when you played us in the H&A last year don't you?
I honestly thought with how shit you are going atm you might have just taken a back seat and realised that this win means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
But I was wrong, you had to go and put yojur flog face out there for all to gawk at.
As you were.
TC:eek:

Take the time to read the OP and you will see that it isn't arbitrary in the slightest - choking is just a periodic function at Geelong.

Unfortunately I dont have all week but I read enough trolls to get the gist of it.

We did not choke today whilst we have in the past. Werent you guys our superior back in 2004? We've gone on to win a flag and you haven't - so I say...we have shown greater mettle than St Kilda...when it matters

1>0.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it your scungy mob that are always crying about the only performances that count come in September.

Correct, this came as a result of the gloating of cats supporters after rd17 last year when all the cats supporters carried on about how they had beaten the hawks and they had injuries to key players and that the grand final was now a given. Hawk supporters on the other hand said that they were impressed at how well the hawks had played and were now confident going into September that they could beat the cats. Went well for those posters didn't it.

You do remember what happened when you played us in the H&A last year don't you?

Yep you beat us - your point??

I honestly thought with how shit you are going atm you might have just taken a back seat and realised that this win means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
But I was wrong, you had to go and put yojur flog face out there for all to gawk at.

So because the team I support at the moment is playing like shit, I am not entitled to an opinion on this board. If that was the case then there are quite a few posters on here that are totally out of line. Facts are that I post on here when my team is travelling well and when they are going poorly unlike some of your bretheren who disappeared after September last year.

Your right this game does mean nothing in the whole scheme of things, except to once again plant that seed of doubt that our beloved Prez spoke about earlier in the year. Fact: The cats choke when the pressure is on from teams that can take it upto the cats for four quarters.

Facts are that even this year there have been plenty of hawk and cats posters that thought they would both meet again in this seasons GF.

Facts are that both may not make it not just the hawks, because the teams that do bring that pressure to cats games are the saints, doggies, collingwood and even the hawks and you will face all of them over the coming weeks.

Quite frankly I hold greater fear of getting another shalacking like last night from the saints than I do from the cats

As you were.

Fair point compadre, although it really has exponentially increased since the 2007 season.
Actually if you look at the statistics for the Geelong Football Club I think you'll find that choking (in The Big One anyway) is a longstanding Geelong tradition.

Here's the proof:

In 1963 Geelong won a premiership....

In 1967 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 1989 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 1992 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 1994 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 1995 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 2007 they fluked a premiership.
In 2008 Geelong choked in the Grand Final.
In 2009 Geelong choked in the Gra... (need to wait to fill this line in)

I find it funny that a Saints fan is talking about choking, especially when we consider what happened to them in Round 12, 1999.

Entering the game with a 7-4 record, St.Kilda were firmly entrenched in the top 8 when they met Hawthorn at Waverley. In a blistering first quarter, they went into quarter time with a 51 point lead, 9.4 to 1.1. The Saints then extended their lead to 63 points with the first two goals of the second term, before Hawthorn kicked 3 late goals to go into half time trailling by 44 points, 11.6 to 4.4. Hawthorn came out and blitzed in the third quarter, kicking 10 goals straight to 3.1 to go into 3/4 time only 3 points down, before going on with the job, kicking 3.3 to 0.5 in the last quarter to win by 13 points and complete what was at the time the biggest comeback in history.

The Saints proceeded to win another 3 games for the season and crashed out of the finals, finishing 10th with a 10-12 record. If you think the Saints would've recovered the next season, you'd be mistaken. They ended up 'winning' the spoon in 2000 with a 2-19-1 record. The next two seasons weren't much better, finishing 2nd last with a 4-18 record in 2001, and 2nd last again in 2002 with a 5-16-1 record.

Indeed, after that dark day at Waverley, the Saints proceeded to rack up a dismal record of 14 wins, 60 losses and 2 draws over the next three and a half seasons. Talk about a sustained choke!

Better not talk about the 1997 grand final or the 2004 and 2005 preliminary finals either, should we?

Not a troll friend - merely an expository essay.

Don't humour me. Read the OP and you will change your tune.

Just saying. We've actually won a Grand Final, (and we're behind in the prelim in that game) so we've shown more mettle than St Kilda in big games. FACT.

Its just hypocritical for Saints fans to call us chokers when thats all they've ever down when they've made finals. Sure we've done it too, but at least we've won something (apart from the NAB cup)

I find it funny that a Saints fan is talking about choking, especially when we consider what happened to them in Round 12, 1999.

Entering the game with a 7-4 record, St.Kilda were firmly entrenched in the top 8 when they met Hawthorn at Waverley. In a blistering first quarter, they went into half time with a 51 point lead, 9.4 to 1.1. The Saints then extended their lead to 63 points with the first two goals of the second term, before Hawthorn kicked 3 late goals to go into half time trailling by 44 points, 11.6 to 4.4. Hawthorn came out and blitzed in the third quarter, kicking 10 goals straight to 3.1 to go into 3/4 time only 3 points down, before going on with the job, kicking 3.3 to 0.5 in the last quarter to win by 13 points and complete what was at the time the biggest comeback in history.

The Saints proceeded to win another 3 games for the season and crashed out of the finals, finishing 10th with a 10-12 record. If you think the Saints would've recovered the next season, you'd be mistaken. They ended up 'winning' the spoon in 2000 with a 2-19-1 record. The next two seasons weren't much better, finishing 2nd last with a 4-18 record in 2001, and 2nd last again in 2002 with a 5-16-1 record.

Indeed, after that dark day at Waverley, the Saints proceeded to rack up a dismal record of 14 wins, 60 losses and 2 draws over the next three and a half seasons. Talk about a sustained choke!

The bigger Saints choke was the 05 prelim, not as bad as ours, but certainly a choke. Has taken them 4 years to get over it.

:eek::eek::eek:

I had no idea that it was that bad! Point noted.

Entering the game with a 7-4 record, St.Kilda were firmly entrenched in the top 8 when they met Hawthorn at Waverley.

I'm sorry, but I found it hard to take your post seriously after the bolded bit. A 7-4 record does not equate to the perceived dominance of Geelong post 2006, not here on Earth, not on the Moon, not in some freaky parallel universe where Oakley-Nicholls is a brownlow medallist. Nice try though, and I'm sure that if you trawled through every club's history you would find at least one instance of a lead whittled down by rampaging opposition. What seperates my OP from this uniform occurance is the tendency at which Geelong choke in big games.

Entering the game with a 7-4 record, St.Kilda were firmly entrenched in the top 8 when they met Hawthorn at Waverley. In a blistering first quarter, they went into half time with a 51 point lead, 9.4 to 1.1. The Saints then extended their lead to 63 points with the first two goals of the second term, before Hawthorn kicked 3 late goals to go into half time trailling by 44 points, 11.6 to 4.4. Hawthorn came out and blitzed in the third quarter, kicking 10 goals straight to 3.1 to go into 3/4 time only 3 points down, before going on with the job, kicking 3.3 to 0.5 in the last quarter to win by 13 points and complete what was at the time the biggest comeback in history.

Nice try spud, no dice.

St.Kilda doesn't have a tradition of choking because (frankly) St.Kilda has a tradition of being sh*thouse football club which collects wooden spoons. Right now they have a huge chance to turn that around and on current form they are looking the goods. Good luck to them if they can pull it off I reckon.

Geelong on the other hand have built a fine tradition of being every bit good enough to win the premiership but choking in the finals because they are the Handbag club - they are SOFT under pressure, and always have been.

Actually if you look at the statistics for the Geelong Football Club I think you'll find that choking (in The Big One anyway) is a longstanding Geelong tradition.

Here's the proof:

Aw, you almost had a convincing argument going but ruined it

Let me help you

1967 - like Id know or care
1989 - Hawthorn favourites
1992 - West Coast favourites
1994 - West Coast favourites
1995 - Carlton favourites
2007 - suck it
2007 - Geelong favourites and lost (fine, choke I'll grant you)

I'll throw in '05 for you as a choke but we werent going to win the flag that year anyway. St Kilda shouldve and they ballsed it, as they do.

Biggest Grand Final choke would have to be 1984...i'll expand if you wish.

And just relax Boskie, it'll be a great finals series (sure you wont be part of it). But we'll dedicate this flag to avenging last year, so you'll get a mention. :D

And just relax Boskie, it'll be a great finals series (sure you wont be part of it). But we'll dedicate this flag to avenging last year, so you'll get a mention. :D
That's what I really love about you guys. You've won a grand total of one flag in the last 45 years, you've choked (again) as early as last year, and yet for some unfathomable reason you believe that winning this years premiership is a certainty?!?!??

Seriously, consider getting professional help.
You are delusional, and possibly even schizophrenic. But modern drugs and therapies can make a difference - but the first step is admitting you have a problem!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back