Women's Footy general AFLW talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone wanting to complain about the standard should refer to the scores in the first season of VFL.

(From @pappy90 on Twitter.)

View attachment 333461
Dude clutching at straws come on. I think the few that are bitching and moaning consistently whom obviously have alternative agendas have all been told off/banned. Why further try to flare up the argument?

Dude clutching at straws come on. I think the few that are bitching and moaning consistently whom obviously have alternative agendas have all been told off/banned. Why further try to flare up the argument?
?

Who's been banned now? o_O

It looked like a men's game from several decades ago to me.

Don't see why it would do anything other than get better?
Sorry but your comparing the AFLW to men's standards 20-30 years ago. I guessed I missed those games from the 80's when 90% of players couldn't kick, handball or mark. Let's be honest and admit the women's games is maybe the equivalent of under 12's/13's at best.

I think it's a fad that is massively hyped but the poor level of skills will mean crowds drop off within a year or 2.

They've played one practice game in the build up. Didn't look any less sketchy than a Round 2 NAB Cup men's match... and considering these teams have never played together before this year, there is plenty of upside.

Not aiming this at you FFB1 but it seems to me there are plenty of people who seem to have an agenda in talking the competition down before it has even got started. It makes me think there is something else underlining this.

As with any "product", if it's not your thing, you don't consume it. But it seems there are plenty of people out there who can see a lot of positives in this competition, and I am certainly one of them.

*Insert IDontLikeThing.jpg*
People don't like it because the comp has been hyped beyond believe based on players with terrible skills. The end product is of such a poor standard that it's painful to watch. Yes they can tackle some but that's hardly a selling point.

Just because some don't like it doesn't mean we have an agend. Lots of people are talking it up - does that mean they have an agenda?

Sorry but your comparing the AFLW to men's standards 20-30 years ago. I guessed I missed those games from the 80's when 90% of players couldn't kick, handball or mark. Let's be honest and admit the women's games is maybe the equivalent of under 12's/13's at best.

I think it's a fad that is massively hyped but the poor level of skills will mean crowds drop off within a year or 2.
I feel quite sure that crowds will drop off as soon as they implement a charge to get into the games.
But lets not be too critical here.
Did you really go into this expecting the quality of games to be the same as the men? Lets face it, that is never going to happen. Because they are coming from such a long way behind.
Can honestly say in my opinion that from what i saw of all four games, the endeavour and the will was there and the skills will come with time. The contest is what will keep people watching.
To be sure, crowd numbers will drop but i really enjoyed watching the games and as a lions supporter couldn't be more proud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't get why people compare it to the mens game, as POBT said just enjoy it for the contest, either way the supply and demand market will eventually work out where the AFLW sits in the entertainment space.

on Jono Browns daughter being a carlton supporter, no problem i am sure she will nominate us under the father daughter rule, the prodigal daughter returns 2029.

i don't get why people compare it to the mens game, as POBT said just enjoy it for the contest, either way the supply and demand market will eventually work out where the AFLW sits in the entertainment space.

on Jono Browns daughter being a carlton supporter, no problem i am sure she will nominate us under the father daughter rule, the prodigal daughter returns 2029.
People compare like for like sports, that's like asking why people follow the EPL or La Liga but not the A-League

People compare like for like sports, that's like asking why people follow the EPL or La Liga but not the A-League
yes, i follow the EPL quite closely but it didn't stop me enjoying the roar v sydney FC game on friday night. the standard of the A-League has increased substantially over the last few years as most teams try to play the Ange style of football. i do agree with you that the standard of the AFLW was quite low however IMO the AFLW will improve at a rapid rate and will be an enjoyable spectacle in years to come.

comparing womens sport to mens is just biologically unfair, it wasn't that long ago that the matildas were beaten 7-0 by a local boys under 15 side, anyway as i said the market will decide.

The bigger issue, I think, is that you are comparing to the AFL. A very established, funded and elite environment.

If you look at the stats from the first season in the VFL - which is probably a fair comparison to me (first year of comp, part-time athletes, possibly a bunch of top-ups from other sports?) the scores are pretty much exactly the same.

It won't take 100 years to get to an elite standard because we're starting with great knowledge of how to train/prepare for games.

I don't understand why women can't have a pathway play professional Australian football whether it looks as skilful or not? Women's tennis, golf, soccer, basketball etc all do very well despite 'worse' skills as those sports have been developed well. The outcome is that girls want to play those sports and those sports are far richer for their participation.

If you don't want to watch women's versions sports (which I can only assume is the case for you) then don't. Plenty of women will - and that's 50% of the market.

I was pre-empting the posts that followed. Sorry for having ESP Leemas.

Last edited:
Overy here, there's no shortage of fans of EFL Championship teams, even those with slim prospects of ever earning promotion to the top tier. Here in Newcastle the local team was relegated from the Premier League last year but not only are the locals continuing to show up at the matches but supporters of opposition teams - even long term/permanent members of lower tiers - buy up their allocations and bus in in their colours.

Overall pretty positive about the weekend. I have noticed (in Melbourne) a number women are genuinely interested in the league as its 'their league' e.g. My sister who has been to a couple of AFL games in the last 20 years went to Carlton/Collingwood AFLW and is enthused about the whole thing.

Only upwards in all respects for the playing quality as well. Given this will lead to more female players, the sheer volume of code hoppers who will adapt to the game, the increased professionalism of training (both for skills and fitness). The game in 2-3 years should have really improved.

From a spectacle perspective I agree with comments above that the contest is what makes the league worth watching. I can't watch more than 5 minutes of women's cricket or soccer because the pace and power of the game is so pedestrian compared to the men's versions, the AFLW would be the same if it was non-contact and all you had to watch were women kicking the ball half as far and less accurately than the men, instead you can enjoy the effort and physicality of the game which is at the heart of the game.

Skills wise two things I noticed - barely saw a single player kick of both legs and handballing didn't come naturally to a lot of players (presumably due to the number of code hoppers). I'd also say each team seemed to have 6-10 good players and then 10-12 average players.

Finally on the crowds. While they were fantastic its hard to draw any conclusions. First round factor and it was free. I think free is fine at smaller venues with limited costs, but it would be a big worry if the AFL started eating the costs of opening the MCG or Gabba for free attendance at AFLW.

I'm a bit concerned the media hype will lead to the AFL seeing this as a golden goose and expands the length of the season and the number of teams too quickly. I think this season is perfect for media exposure (similar to BBL) at a time of limited competition for interest from other sports. Extending the season and number of teams would drain the talent pool and lead to competition with AFL proper amongst other things.

I'm going to go on a ice hockey forum and tell them all how I don't like hockey.

Wish me luck!
I'll be sure to run all opinions by you before posting again in the future. It's important that my opinions match yours.

We wouldn't want some to have a different point of view to you and perhaps have an honest debate.

I'll be sure to run all opinions by you before posting again in the future. It's important that my opinions match yours.

We wouldn't want some to have a different point of view to you and perhaps have an honest debate.

Whoa, stop making it all about you. Were you even quoted? Even then you missed my point entirely.

Wasn't even aware it was a debate. "I like something" & "I don't like something" aren't really positions of a discussion, they are just subjective statements of preferences.

I'm just stunned by the influx of people in all circles of footy social media repeating ad nauseum about the fact they don't like the AFLW competition. No one said they have to, but it's legitimately odd behaviour IMO to go on a campaign of expressing that it's not your thing.

There are heaps of things I dislike... onions, car culture, sewing, soccer. If I was to however go to forums dedicated to enthusiasts of those things to express my dislike of them and try and have a "honest debate" about why they are no good, I should probably at best expect a "cool story bro" response from the natives.

It's just sad that so much of the discussion space of the AFLW's opening round was clogged with this sort of stuff. Even if I didn't find the contest compelling (thankfully I do) I reckon I would have been able to gleam enough enjoyment to make it worthwhile from basking in the reflected happiness of the female players who are finally living their dream. Women are a massive backbone of the game at grass roots level and it's wonderful to see the code belatedly giving back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back