Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope only 1 test and thats in 4-6 weeks

Basically to do as best i can. My aim was to at least get 12 though. My fitness and running seems to be improving with the training just had a few days off going to do the beep test soon to see where im at.

Ive read a bit and its more pushed towards a combination of lactate training and aerobic training. When you get to 12 you really have only run about 2kms - low 2kms so doing long slow stuff wouldnt be as beneficial would that be right?

you generally don't want to do too much lacatate training, only in the last 3 or so weeks pre comp but you'd cover that in the hard-upper level stuff i mentioned above...lactate type training is good for when you sprint hard, rest and need to go again because until you rest you don't get the chance to recover but the beep test is continuous - make sense

hello.

i am achieving and using good and higher weights in terms of squatting. however, my payment has been what seemingly is a pinched nerve in my right arm causing tingles/pins and or needles. has anyone else encountered this?

try some thoracic extension and lat mobilisations btw sets to open up the shoulders as it sounds like your mobility might not be where it needs to be

youtube 'afl training - breathing elbows on bench thoracic extension + lat stretch" and a vid of mine will come up (my internet is being a bitch and won't do 2 pages at once)

you generally don't want to do too much lacatate training, only in the last 3 or so weeks pre comp but you'd cover that in the hard-upper level stuff i mentioned above...lactate type training is good for when you sprint hard, rest and need to go again because until you rest you don't get the chance to recover but the beep test is continuous - make sense
Was just something i read off top end sports. But yeh i guess the beep test technically is continuous with multiple acceleration and decelerations with an increasing speed.

I think the lactic work i did 3 days ago got to me a bit didnt feel too good today with my running but maybe due to other reasons. Felt heavy legs and breathing wasnt good.

Ive been doing 2km runs as fast as i can.

Been doing 10km speed start on treadmill and increasing 1km an hour per 1 minute or starting 8.5km an hour increasing 0.5km per minute on the treadmill.

Doing my first gym class ever tomorrow, it's a combat class and the only real reason I'm doing it is because I want to belt the living suitcase out of some punching bags, I get a bit of pent up anger and I need to let loose somewhere.

Will be interesting to see how I go, if it's some stupid class punching the air I'm not going to be pleased

Doing my first gym class ever tomorrow, it's a combat class and the only real reason I'm doing it is because I want to belt the living suitcase out of some punching bags, I get a bit of pent up anger and I need to let loose somewhere.

Will be interesting to see how I go, if it's some stupid class punching the air I'm not going to be pleased
I used to do a Cardio Boxing class between 2004-2009 or so. Was a good way of yeah doing that.

Dunno what it's called these days or if gyms still do that sort of thing though.

Started the whole 9-5 grind and I felt lazy and unproductive (coupled with a fear of increased calorie intake), so guess who has a gym membership again?

Went again last night - BF has PT qualifications. Free sessions!!! I have regressed a lot given I haven't done anything in a year, but instead of getting frustrated at a drop in everything (which is so discouraging), I'm treating this time again as a chance to improve my form.

Keen to be back on this board!!

Started the whole 9-5 grind and I felt lazy and unproductive (coupled with a fear of increased calorie intake), so guess who has a gym membership again?

Went again last night - BF has PT qualifications. Free sessions!!! I have regressed a lot given I haven't done anything in a year, but instead of getting frustrated at a drop in everything (which is so discouraging), I'm treating this time again as a chance to improve my form.

Keen to be back on this board!!

well done!

winter hasnt been kind to me. ate too much hence the gut has not decreased in size much if at all. however, muscle definition has solidified. guess you cant have it all

I used to do a Cardio Boxing class between 2004-2009 or so. Was a good way of yeah doing that.

Dunno what it's called these days or if gyms still do that sort of thing though.
So the combat class I was going to do is just a rip off of the les mills body combat class which is as I suspected punching the air like a spaz, managed to wrangle an invite to a proper boxing class tonight though so we'll see how I go there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving to Melbourne soon. Anyone know of an old school kind of gym in the southeast suburbs. Trying to avoid the big chains. Looking for something in a warehouse or factory.

ive noticed a few factory type set ups in my travels around suburban melbourne, eastside. cant remember exactly where. but ive also seen one close due to zero business. sorry cant help

So the combat class I was going to do is just a rip off of the les mills body combat class which is as I suspected punching the air like a spaz, managed to wrangle an invite to a proper boxing class tonight though so we'll see how I go there.
So turns out this class wasn't really boxing training more of a boxercise class, it was ok but not really my cup of tea.

I'm gonna give a pump class a go and see if I like it

A program for running endurance has one running at a 7/10 pace for 100+ metres then taking a 1 minute break.

The program states that if any of your runs are not at the same pace or faster than your previous runs, then you should stop the program for the day.

Why is this?

I've heard this used for sprintraining, but not endurance

Hey all,

I just started running again (it's been about four years since my last and I used to run about 10km a night), but after my first three runs (2km, 3km & 3km) I am feeling absolutely horrific. I am a complete write off for the rest of the day and I experience these horrible flu-like symptoms and can't get out of bed. I am pushing myself but not to the point of vomiting or anything extreme. However, I stop at the stage where if I run any further I probably will start throwing up.

Am I simply overdoing it or could there be something more to it? I have overdone it many of times before but have never experienced anything like this and usually the first time is the worst but it gets easier after that.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

A program for running endurance has one running at a 7/10 pace for 100+ metres then taking a 1 minute break.

The program states that if any of your runs are not at the same pace or faster than your previous runs, then you should stop the program for the day.

Why is this?

I've heard this used for sprintraining, but not endurance
Because your not reaching the intensity you need to get the maximum benefits from that session. You will probably impact future sessions if you regularly push beyond what your body is capable of. I.e. overtraining

Hey all,

I just started running again (it's been about four years since my last and I used to run about 10km a night), but after my first three runs (2km, 3km & 3km) I am feeling absolutely horrific. I am a complete write off for the rest of the day and I experience these horrible flu-like symptoms and can't get out of bed. I am pushing myself but not to the point of vomiting or anything extreme. However, I stop at the stage where if I run any further I probably will start throwing up.

Am I simply overdoing it or could there be something more to it? I have overdone it many of times before but have never experienced anything like this and usually the first time is the worst but it gets easier after that.

Cheers
What intensity are you running at? A jog? Near your lactate threshold?

What intensity are you running at? A jog? Near your lactate threshold?
Jogging pace, but obviously I'm extremely unfit as jogging for 2km (including some steep hills) makes me knackered.

My understanding is that it is near my lactate threshold.

Because your not reaching the intensity you need to get the maximum benefits from that session. You will probably impact future sessions if you regularly push beyond what your body is capable of. I.e. overtraining

Fair enough. I just thought after almost 4km slowing down a little bit would be almost inevitable

Jogging pace, but obviously I'm extremely unfit as jogging for 2km (including some steep hills) makes me knackered.

My understanding is that it is near my lactate threshold.
Maybe you need to back it off a bit then. Jog 500 walk 200, or something similar and gradually increase the running distance.

Hey all,

Cheers
A different twist - after a long layoff it might be better to forget distance / speed and focus solely on time.

If you're feeling horrific after the runs it will be hard to stick to it and flu-like symptoms sound like you should seek a professional - anything from hitting or passing your lactate threshold to adrenal failure could be at play, or worse.

Good luck with it all and kudos for getting back into it :thumbsu:

A different twist - after a long layoff it might be better to forget distance / speed and focus solely on time.

If you're feeling horrific after the runs it will be hard to stick to it and flu-like symptoms sound like you should seek a professional - anything from hitting or passing your lactate threshold to adrenal failure could be at play, or worse.

Good luck with it all and kudos for getting back into it :thumbsu:
Maybe you need to back it off a bit then. Jog 500 walk 200, or something similar and gradually increase the running distance.
I solved my problem. I realised I was going too hard. If going at 100% is considered sprinting, then I was probably running at about 35%. This was too much for me. I lowered it to about 15% (which is close to the slowest rate I could possibly jog), but I had no issues with it.

Ended up recovering quickly, was able to run a lot further and had a lot of energy left over towards the end so finished my last 400m at about 70% (love that feeling). Ended up running just under 5km when last week I was struggling big time after 3km. Will slowly increase it so I can get back to 10km.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back