Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Moving to Melbourne soon. Anyone know of an old school kind of gym in the southeast suburbs. Trying to avoid the big chains. Looking for something in a warehouse or factory.
What type of training are you into?

There's literally dozens in the southeast nowadays

What type of training are you into?

There's literally dozens in the southeast nowadays
Just basic strength training. A place with a good mix of free weights and machines. I do all my cardio on the track/road, so could care less about treadmills etc. Definitely don't want classes or crossfit etc. The less PTs the better as well.

This is my current gym.
item1b-1.png

Just basic strength training. A place with a good mix of free weights and machines. I do all my cardio on the track/road, so could care less about treadmills etc. Definitely don't want classes or crossfit etc. The less PTs the better as well.

This is my current gym.
View attachment 293701

Doherty's in Dandenong is the first that springs to mind like that
Bodyworld is good but that's in Balaclava (near St Kilda)
Otherwise your pic looks like what you'd find at a YMCA/council owned gym
Most of the others I know off the top of my head are more catered towards powerlifters

Doherty's in Dandenong is the first that springs to mind like that
Bodyworld is good but that's in Balaclava (near St Kilda)
Otherwise your pic looks like what you'd find at a YMCA/council owned gym
Most of the others I know off the top of my head are more catered towards powerlifters
What's the set up like in a powerlifting gym? Much different to normal.

What's the set up like in a powerlifting gym? Much different to normal.

If a standard gym is 20% racks and Dumbbells and 80% machines the powerlifting gyms I know in that area are reversed.
They also tend to be more expensive and tend to run off monthly direct debit as opposed to purchasing a membership par se
PTC headquarters, South East Strength and Punch Pit are the 3 public ones in the south east

There will almost certainly be a few private/smaller gyms like you're after that I don't know as well (even if just based off the number around where I live in the outer eastern suburbs)

If a standard gym is 20% racks and Dumbbells and 80% machines the powerlifting gyms I know in that area are reversed.
They also tend to be more expensive and tend to run off monthly direct debit as opposed to purchasing a membership par se
PTC headquarters, South East Strength and Punch Pit are the 3 public ones in the south east

There will almost certainly be a few private/smaller gyms like you're after that I don't know as well (even if just based off the number around where I live in the outer eastern suburbs)
Thanks. I'll look in to it a bit more when I get there.

Hey guys - is their such a thing as 'good' foam rollers? As in, brand or value for money or quality or anything like that? My gym has an AOK (?) blue short one for $15 which I'm pretty tempted by. Have to admit, I always thought the guys rolling on it post-session looked weird and like it was a fad. I gave it a go for a few days after comically tight muscles (first leg day in over a year) and it helped a lot.

Shupe halp.

Last edited:
Hey guys - is their such a thing as 'good' foam rollers? As in, brand or value for money or quality or anything like that? My gym has an AOK (?) blue short one for $15 which I'm pretty tempted by. Have to admit, I always thought the guys rolling on it post-session looked weird and like it was a fad. I gave it a go for a few days after comically tight muscles (first leg day in over a year) and it helped a lot.

Shupe halp.
I bought mine from Ebay and use it at least once a week (try to use it 2-3 times). I tend to do it at home, have a spiky ball too which is useful for getting into the hips/upper glutes.

Google myofascial stretching, plenty of benefits in using the roller.

I bought mine from Ebay and use it at least once a week (try to use it 2-3 times). I tend to do it at home, have a spiky ball too which is useful for getting into the hips/upper glutes.

Any brand recommendations? So far I've heard Blackroll and Trigger Point.

Any brand recommendations? So far I've heard Blackroll and Trigger Point.
Mine's just a cheapy that had decent reviews.
If you're getting a smaller one, one that has rounded/beveled edges would be advisable but I don't think they vary too much (I've heard of people using PVC pipe!)

sounds like pfun

PVC from Bunnings > any foam roller
And for the slightly more sadistic a barbell does the job as well.
Also, to get technical, foam rolling isn't MFR as there's very little tissue movement involved

Mine's just a cheapy that had decent reviews.
If you're getting a smaller one, one that has rounded/beveled edges would be advisable but I don't think they vary too much (I've heard of people using PVC pipe!)

We use PVC roller at our Crossfit box. Work a treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are homemade PVC rollers stronger than the hollowed out commercial brands?

For some reason our footy club keeps getting those short hollow ones and they inevitably end up cracking.

Are homemade PVC rollers stronger than the hollowed out commercial brands?

For some reason our footy club keeps getting those short hollow ones and they inevitably end up cracking.

It's just 150mm x 1m plumbing pipe you buy from Bunnings.
Just get the thicker wall and they'll last forever as a foam roller (they'll be a little skipper to start but should wear in)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-150mm-x-1m-upvc-stormwater-pipe_p4770408
Although I could have sworn you could get it cheaper than that

Forgot how good newbie gains were. Moved up free weights by 4 kg in 2 weeks. Still pretty pathetic numbers but god it's so much more motivating and I'll enjoy it until I hit that plauteau haha.

i ate maccas today. feel like s**t

I get that now as well, eat anything that I haven't prepared and I'm taking a pre-emptive immodium
Which is kinda ironic given I lived in the States for about 8 months and ate absolute garbage the whole time

I get that now as well, eat anything that I haven't prepared and I'm taking a pre-emptive immodium
Which is kinda ironic given I lived in the States for about 8 months and ate absolute garbage the whole time

yeah i mean the initial high is great, tasty. but after just so flat and lifeless!!

also, allergic rash that has enveloped my arms, legs and chest shits me. no gym till it clears...

His relative strength is pretty impressive for a guy that big as well

This is one seriously fit dude.

It's great that he can do that, and I hate cutting down tall poppies and shitting on something just because, but I've seen a few people doing those pull-ups where they end up above the bar in public gyms, and I always feel like it's the ultimate w*nker "look at me" fitness move. That's the point though obvious, to show off what he can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back