Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Took a week off over christmas to let the joints and old bones heal.

Back in the swing yesterday after a sober new years eve. The last time I was sober on January 1, the internet was still just an itch in SkyNets pants.

Didn’t train today as it’s my rest day/sauna and swim day. Had to go up to tag in though and it didn’t seem busy.

We’ll see how goodlife looks tomorrow as I have squats with my coach.

tag in?

does your or others gyms have an app that tracks your visits? I think if i go after hours and scan my tag and drive off it still registers as a visit

tag in?

does your or others gyms have an app that tracks your visits? I think if i go after hours and scan my tag and drive off it still registers as a visit
Yeah just head up to the front reception and scan your tag. 24x7 section has a spot to tag as well but you have to do that to enter the area.

At gym. Only one here. I am the king!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A few weeks ago I got to Yoga class 10 minutes before it was due to start and I was the only one there, I said to the instructor if I was the only one there at start time I'd rather leave it......hate being the center of attention, rather be the wallflower. Turned out it was all good, 3 others turned up.

I really wanna go tonight. My dream is to be there at midnight.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ha would love to do late late night workout.

Safety would be an issue for me tho.. like at the very least going to and from the car alone, wouldnt wanna be doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few weeks ago I got to Yoga class 10 minutes before it was due to start and I was the only one there, I said to the instructor if I was the only one there at start time I'd rather leave it......hate being the center of attention, rather be the wallflower. Turned out it was all good, 3 others turned up.

Yeah i think I'd tend to agree with you there.. would want at least a few others there.

Gym + pool tho to yourself. ******* heaven.

Wouldn't it be awkward if the instructor started and you uped and left?

Safety would be an issue for me tho.. like at the very least going to and from the car alone, wouldnt wanna be doing that.

Yeah safety a big thing. But there are emergency buttons around, and you can wear an alarm thingo too. Which would suck cause it dangles and gets in the way

Wouldn't it be awkward if the instructor started and you uped and left?

Yeah safety a big thing. But there are emergency buttons around, and you can wear an alarm thingo too. Which would suck cause it dangles and gets in the way

I realise that- like i said i would not want to be walking in a deserted car park. Aint no emergency button for that.

I realise that- like i said i would not want to be walking in a deserted car park. Aint no emergency button for that.

Park right in front of the door, run into the car and off you go. Last bit of exercise via the sprint

Good article/explanation for those who partake in the reading of research.
Cliffs;
Statistical significance = minimal likelihood of results be due to chance
Clinical significance = results are likely to mean something to the every day person
https://www.students4bestevidence.net/statistical-significance-vs-clinical-significance/

Did lol at this in the comments:

Thank you! I’m a Consultant Surgeon and ALWAYS find stats a challenge. this simple explanation really helps

How could you get through medical school without understanding a simple concept like that?

How could you get through medical school without understanding a simple concept like that?

Yeah that’s a bit concerning lol.
They would’ve done 2-3 research subjects at least, not to mention all the research they would’ve had to go through for essays etc

This was a good response, highlighting an issue with a particular study posted in the supplement thread
This is a good article that clearly describes and illustrates an important point through the use of a hypothetical, yet typical, example. In clinical trials it is very common to find differences in outcomes between interventions that reach statistical significance, yet are of small magnitude. The article raises, but does not elaborate upon, another long-recognised issue that is very important and related. Clinical trials tend to illustrate the relative performance of interventions in populations, not individuals. The data are usually presented as mean values with an index of variability (SD, SE, CV) for end-of-trial absolute or between-treatment differences in predefined endpoints. But most readers (myself included) do not intuitively take account of the spread of the data and instead tend to perceive the relative ‘effects’ of the interventions tested in terms of the mean data. We mistakenly perceive the mean effect as the effect.
It is therefore possible that small-but-significant differences in the overall mean values disguise much larger clinically valuable effects in limited subgroups. Taking the article’s case history, for example, it is possible that the small relative improvement in alertness score in the overall study that was observed with Energylina versus placebo was entirely due to an improvement of much greater magnitude (and clinical relevance) in a small subgroup of individuals who had a high baseline level of tiredness. The chances are the original study would not be powered to show a statistically significant difference for this subgroup, but post hoc subgroup analyses could nevertheless inform the direction to take with future studies.”

It's scary what passes for research studies sometimes. I competed a 'Research strategies' post-grad unit and the whole unit was basically a 'how-to' in putting together a thesis proposal.
More time was spent on the steps involved and the mechanics of ethical considerations than actual research.

it's so disappointing to read that you are so concerned about your personal safety that you have to restrict yourself like that. i do understand though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back