Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon a Melbourne vs Richmond gf would have been like a Richmond vs gws 2019 gf an absolute stinker. The 2018 gf was a blessing in disguise, should have been Richmond vs west Coast and that would have been a thumping but Richmond choked and we end one of the best grand finals in 30 years
I don’t think it would have been a thumping - probably played out like our ANZAC Eve game against them that year where it was tightish for three quarters without actually being close and then they blew us out. West Coast smashed Richmond in Perth in 2018 and then they had a belter at the MCG in 2019 which the Tigers won late by about a goal IIRC. Eagles also beat them in 2017.

The occasion and injuries very much got to the Giants in 2019 but the Tigers haven’t beaten them at Spotless since 2014. They were vulnerable big time at the end of 2018 and got found out by an MCG tenant with a better midfield in the prelim.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Has anyone actually listened to Freed From Desire?

Should have left that one in Footscray I reckon.

But... when turned into a proper football chant... aka Will Grigg's On Fire... it's legendary. Imagine if the club started playing it pre-game and Dees fans started signing "Fristch/Kysiah Is On Fire... Your Defence Is Terrified" haha. Not a very AFL crowd thing to do, but would be an epic troll.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t think it would have been a thumping - probably played out like our ANZAC Eve game against them that year where it was tightish for three quarters without actually being close and then they blew us out. West Coast smashed Richmond in Perth in 2018 and then they had a belter at the MCG in 2019 which the Tigers won late by about a goal IIRC. Eagles also beat them in 2017.

The occasion and injuries very much got to the Giants in 2019 but the Tigers haven’t beaten them at Spotless since 2014. They were vulnerable big time at the end of 2018 and got found out by an MCG tenant with a better midfield in the prelim.

Yeah we'll never know, if we were good enough to beat West Coast then that changes the lens and I wouldn't be judging Melbourne by the preliminary final. Equally I think playing Collingwood in an afl gf would have been epic as well.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
AFC660F8-7BC7-4452-B1BF-3FDAE8C4EB76.png

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
My only negative critique of this video is that it doesn’t properly credit Brayshaw for this moment. Give us a look at where he is on the ground imo.

43647965-BECB-4DA8-903F-00E16ABF2F13.png

Yeah we'll never know, if we were good enough to beat West Coast then that changes the lens and I wouldn't be judging Melbourne by the preliminary final. Equally I think playing Collingwood in an afl gf would have been epic as well.
Yeah Dees v Pies would have been a cultural blinder, but I actually reckon they handled us on QB better than the Tigers did on ANZAC Eve. We really had to finish top 4 that year to have any chance though and play the Tigers or Eagles in the first week of finals - clearly a better side than Hawthorn. I don’t feel bad fantasising about this stuff now that we’ve actually won one, it’s great.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah Dees v Pies would have been a cultural blinder, but I actually reckon they handled us on QB better than the Tigers did on ANZAC Eve. We really had to finish top 4 that year to have any chance though and play the Tigers or Eagles in the first week of finals - clearly a better side than Hawthorn. I don’t feel bad fantasising about this stuff now that we’ve actually won one, it’s great.

My mind goes back to 98 with the current system we would have had to play North Melbourne in week 1. Possible win we did beat them in round 2 but more likely would have lost then would have played most likely Adelaide and that would have been a win. Then would probably get the Bulldogs in a preliminary final tough but winnable. They had a shocker in the pf but I honestly think mental scars of 97 spooked them against Adelaide. Then gf you just have to get there bad kicking a bit of luck you never know. Instead the reality was we had to play North on a 6 day break because of that system.

My mind goes back to 98 with the current system we would have had to play North Melbourne in week 1. Possible win we did beat them in round 2 but more likely would have lost then would have played most likely Adelaide and that would have been a win. Then would probably get the Bulldogs in a preliminary final tough but winnable. They had a shocker in the pf but I honestly think mental scars of 97 spooked them against Adelaide. Then gf you just have to get there bad kicking a bit of luck you never know. Instead the reality was we had to play North on a 6 day break because of that system.
Yep. If we’d finished fourth we’d be playing Richmond first week off the back of a four week stretch where they won by 3 (Geelong), 74 (GC), 8 (Essendon) and 3 (WB) ie four pretty average teams, all except GC at the MCG. I was at that Dogs game and the Tigers looked seriously average while we were running hot.

Finish third and we’re still playing the Eagles in Perth in the QF but it’s a week after the bye, just a game after we beat them.

Win and we get an MCG prelim v WCE/Coll/Richmond. Lose, we still almost definitely win the SF.

Five losses by under 10 points inc that disgraceful performance against St Kilda cost us. One more win and we finish third, two more wins and we finish second and get a home QF v the Eagles. Funny thing is that our other four losses were by 67, 46, 42 and 66 points v the four top four sides (the first three being late blow outs).

Regardless, those two wins v Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG are two of the great memories in MFC history. Don’t think anyone will ever have too many regrets about how that played out even with the PF belting. Just adds to the legend of 2021.

My only negative critique of this video is that it doesn’t properly credit Brayshaw for this moment. Give us a look at where he is on the ground imo.

View attachment 1270793
Was the spoil on Schache right after that? Legendary two minutes of footy from Gus. For anyone who thinks he got lucky with his good run with concussion, this is your proof he didn’t. He clearly has changed the way he grew up playing to protect his head but, on GF day, said * it and took the risk.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep. If we’d finished fourth we’d be playing Richmond first week off the back of a four week stretch where they won by 3 (Geelong), 74 (GC), 8 (Essendon) and 3 (WB) ie four pretty average teams, all except GC at the MCG. I was at that Dogs game and the Tigers looked seriously average while we were running hot.

Finish third and we’re still playing the Eagles in Perth in the QF but it’s a week after the bye, just a game after we beat them.

Win and we get an MCG prelim v WCE/Coll/Richmond. Lose, we still almost definitely win the SF.

Five losses by under 10 points inc that disgraceful performance against St Kilda cost us. One more win and we finish third, two more wins and we finish second and get a home QF v the Eagles. Funny thing is that our other four losses were by 67, 46, 42 and 66 points v the four top four sides (the first three being late blow outs).

Regardless, those two wins v Geelong and Hawthorn at the MCG are two of the great memories in MFC history. Don’t think anyone will ever have too many regrets about how that played out even with the PF belting. Just adds to the legend of 2021.

I thought we were a better team than Hawthorn that year though they did do a job on us earlier that year. I found it strange that when we lost to Richmond on Anzac day eve we were badly criticised but Collingwood lost the exact same way and was seen as a brave loss. Collingwood did get a second look at Richmond which did set them up well for the preliminary final.

I thought we were a better team than Hawthorn that year though they did do a job on us earlier that year. I found it strange that when we lost to Richmond on Anzac day eve we were badly criticised but Collingwood lost the exact same way and was seen as a brave loss. Collingwood did get a second look at Richmond which did set them up well for the preliminary final.
Hawthorn game was weird, we thrashed them in the fourth quarter and then just couldn’t score.

Such an un-Melbourne level of goal kicking accuracy. 16.4 from when we were 19 points down and had kicked 5.10, still insane.
It goes hand in hand. You kick a few in a row without missing and suddenly you can’t make a mistake anywhere on the field and start getting shot on goal after shot, which you can barely miss, etc.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Such an un-Melbourne level of goal kicking accuracy. 16.4 from when we were 19 points down and had kicked 5.10, still insane.
Bizarre. Fritta‘s promise on G&G that we would sort it (the goal kicking) as they get to the end of the campaign came true.

Winner of the Melbourne Cup is in red and blue and the jockey is one James McDonald

Also Jon Amos apparently picked #4 because Harmesy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back