Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Jacko, 1-4 still don’t have to report for another couple of weeks - I believe Essendon only resumed this week for 1-4. I believe it’s a late November resumption although of course plenty of blokes have been on the track. Certainly a few are still on holiday, Harmes is in the US with his now-fiancée, so I wouldn’t be worried. Remember they held Trac’s signing until May for goodness sake.

If it’s August and he is out, different issue. But for now let’s just let it play out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shannon Boo-urns has left to work at Geelong. I was saying Boo-urns.
Good on him if he got a good offer. I get the sense that he’s been a huge part of the positive cultural shift which has gotten us to a flag, will be missed.

All i'm interested in Nov or Dec is seeing the 2022 H&A fixture.
Doesnt really matter if a few minor staff get poached by other clubs.
Care even less about the upcoming cricket season.
We already have millionaire captains& players crying infront of the media and the season has barely started!
Boring.
I dont think the media care all that much about cricket either. If a Collingwood player was drunk & fighting in the pub over the road on Boxing Day the media would pack up and head straight for the breaking news.
Cricket is dull.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure where to put this...

A few contacts I have around the state- a couple of coaches, 1 involved in the TAC pathway, another ex AFL player who's gone back to the burbs..

Anyway of these people from different demographics, talking to them about how local footy will look next year when it kicks off. This is definitely not meant to be a covid topic but more a grassroots football/future talent pool topic.

Basically, numbers and participation level at grassroots footy clubs have been wanting for 5 years now. Of the guys I've spoken to in recent weeks they've all said the same, covid breaks in Victoria have given a lot of these kids their weekends back, and many just won't play footy next year. There's already talk some clubs around the state who have battled to stay afloat with 2 years of interrupted seasons not even being able to field teams next year.

Now why does this matter? Let's take a look at some of the issues here. If a league loses a club, especially in smaller leagues, then the season shortens, or they amalgamate with another league. If we get into a position where leagues are getting bigger, but less of them, then our talent pool is going to significantly shrink.

This is even more prevelent at U/16 and U/18 levels, especially with the Vic rules of no participation without the Vax (again this isn't a post about that) but it's very possible we are going to see a massive drop off of players at this age next year, and who knows, for seasons to come.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it is true that participation at grass roots level is falling away in vic, I’ve got no doubt it is climbing in the expansion states but in vic with covid it’ll take a blow (Particularly in the country).

It wouldn’t surprise me if it is true that participation at grass roots level is falling away in vic, I’ve got no doubt it is climbing in the expansion states but in vic with covid it’ll take a blow (Particularly in the country).

100% it’s real.

I’m involved with a recently merged junior club. The merger was due to each club struggling to field their own team at each age group already.

The merger club now has only around 15% more players than one of thefounding clubs had prior to the merger.

There’s lots going on. COVID, demographics, urban vs. rural
population movement, concerns about concussion.

But if the AFL don’t get more active and continue to rely on goodwill and volunteers to grow grassroots, then the AFL will suffer significantly in 10-20 years’ time.

The AFL slashed the support into junior football hard during COVID. You’d hope the AFLPA aren’t short sighted enough to lobby the AFL only for the post COVID return to something near past revenues poured only into existing players, and forgo the investment required by the AFL for the AFLPA’s future players.

100% it’s real.

I’m involved with a recently merged junior club. The merger was due to each club struggling to field their own team at each age group already.

The merger club now has only around 15% more players than one of thefounding clubs had prior to the merger.

There’s lots going on. COVID, demographics, urban vs. rural
population movement, concerns about concussion.

But if the AFL don’t get more active and continue to rely on goodwill and volunteers to grow grassroots, then the AFL will suffer significantly in 10-20 years’ time.

The AFL slashed the support into junior football hard during COVID. You’d hope the AFLPA aren’t short sighted enough to lobby the AFL only for the post COVID return to something near past revenues poured only into existing players, and forgo the investment required by the AFL for the AFLPA’s future players.
That's amazing.. only 15% more.

The biggest issue with mergers is the additional costs. Clubs need to alternate home ground matches, therefore there's 2 sets of groundskeeping, 2 sets of catering, 2 sets of maintenance.. but then only half the revenue.

It's unfortunately the quickest way to kill off a club. You've only got to look at the western border, once one of the strongest leagues in regional Vic/Sa. It's now looking like they'll disperse and join surrounding leagues. That said, this league died off with the Hamilton/Portland clubs leaving over the past decade. I'm sure there are even more examples I can't think of, especially in the north and west where it's a longer drive out from metro melb.

The AFL need to seriously invest back into this, it's going to be catastrophic in my opinion.

That's amazing.. only 15% more.

The biggest issue with mergers is the additional costs. Clubs need to alternate home ground matches, therefore there's 2 sets of groundskeeping, 2 sets of catering, 2 sets of maintenance.. but then only half the revenue.

Yep, one club had 150 juniors, the other low 100s so prior to COVID it was thought we’d get a really strong club in the area with high 200s post merger instead of losing players to the “big” junior clubs.

We ended up with around 180 players for 2021.

It’s partly our non-traditional footy demographics, COVID killing momentum too, but participation is way down across the league everywhere including Auskick and not just our club. It’s actually hidden with the explosion of girls footy too, so boys participation is crashing.

And you’re right, each club went from one ground to now splitting events and ferrying equipment between two grounds. It doubles some costs and adds complication.

Plus you’ve got the politics and factions of foundation clubs clashing to deal with. At least with junior clubs parents are only around for a few years, those “which club are you from?” should die out pretty soon whereas it can live for decades in a senior club.

Wasn't sure where to put this. But what an absolute s**t show this event planning is.

Why didn't they simply let us sit in our allocated member seat for the December 5th Event and then simply open it up to the bandwagoners/public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back