Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Unsurprisingly, space is a topic that often attracts large amounts of interest and discussion. As such, we've decided that a general discussion thread is a good idea.

If there's any space-related topic that you don't think warrants a thread of its own (such as videos, discussion points, etc), feel free to post it here. If there is an exciting new development in our knowledge of space, consider starting a new thread instead.

A few videos to start things off:

In terms of a general link, PBS Space Time is a brilliant YouTube channel to check out. Weekly episodes covering a whole range of topics in astronomy/space in general.

Couldn't find an appropriate thread, but I've only just started using the Non Footy Related sub forums the last few weeks. I am pretty interested in Astrology and looked for a Science sub-forum to talk about it in. I found it baffling that basically all Astrology and Space Exploration threads where located in the Conspiracies,, Mysteries and Paranormal sub when Science is basically the polar opposite to that.

Anyhow, 2 days layer... here we are. A Science sub! How coincidental lol.

Being a science forum, it would be good to get threads like these off on the right track. Free from delusions and bullshit. it would be a good idea to use real facts, real science.

NASA's own science shows no man landed on the moon.

Don’t be fooled! They’re actually really far apart. The moon is an average of 238,855 miles (384,400 km) away.
http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/moon-distance/en/

In 1958, Dr. James Van Allen discovered a collection of high-energy particle clouds within 40,000 km of Earth. Arranged like two nested donuts, the inner belt is mainly energetic protons, while the outer belts contain both protons and electrons. These belts have long been known as 'bad news' for satellites and astronauts, with potentially deadly consequences if you spend too much time within them.

https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/earth/3Page7.pdf

Couldn't find an appropriate thread, but I've only just started using the Non Footy Related sub forums the last few weeks. I am pretty interested in Astrology and looked for a Science sub-forum to talk about it in. I found it baffling that basically all Astrology and Space Exploration threads where located in the Conspiracies,, Mysteries and Paranormal sub when Science is basically the polar opposite to that.

Anyhow, 2 days layer... here we are. A Science sub! How coincidental lol.
I think you'll find that astrology hasn't got a lot to do with astronomy.

Are you 'avin a laff? Did you even read this?

In 1958, Dr. James Van Allen discovered a collection of high-energy particle clouds within 40,000 km of Earth. Arranged like two nested donuts, the inner belt is mainly energetic protons, while the outer belts contain both protons and electrons. These belts have long been known as 'bad news' for satellites and astronauts, with potentially deadly consequences if you spend too much time within them.
I've highlighted the key words for you :thumbsu:

Not sure if it's general discussion or deserves a thread of it's own, but...

Juno.

Freakish maths to get it there, and the science they're doing there includes things like frame dragging (seeing if the gravity of Jupiter warps space-time the way relativity says it should).

Current status: The planned orbit reduction burn on Oct 19 was cancelled after some values didn't seem to work right (slow to open) and they wanted to check it out before firing the engines. Next (planned) burn/attempt is on Dec 11.

You know, I can't help but wonder what was the time of the year, day of the week and time of the day when that asteroid struck Mexico and made the dinosaurs extinct. Was it a Tuesday night? Saturday afternoon? Monday morning? :p

To think that if this 10-km lump of rock hadn't crossed paths with Earth, we humans wouldn't be here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Useless. Waste of time and money that could be better spent elsewhere. It's a dead planet. Would rather see more money spent on getting stuff to the seas of europa. Elon musk needs to **** off when it comes to this particular issue.
Easy tiger, some here actually like the idea of people who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

There's a specific thread to talk about Mars btw.

Easy tiger, some here actually like the idea of people who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

There's a specific thread to talk about Mars btw.
Yeah i know, was just responding to the question. I have no real issue with him but i think the mars thing is a (relative) waste and he also says a lot of weird stuff. My bad though

I have always wondered about the expanding universe and if its expanding what is it expanding into? universe seems to be a gigantic bubble within another bubble within another bubble and so on.
Sometimes I think I have clung to the edge of an understanding of it all, only to realize that I really can't comprehend an ever expanding universe and all that it means.

Sometimes I think I have clung to the edge of an understanding of it all, only to realize that I really can't comprehend an ever expanding universe and all that it means.

IMO the goal of the universe is to exist just outside the realm of understand-ability.

Douglas Adams said:
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Also, if anyone has ever watched the BBC program, stargazing live? I've always found it really quite enjoyable and the citizens science experiments you can take part in seem to deliver real scientific results.

Also stars brian cox which is always a good thing!

There's generally 1 to 2 supernova in a galaxy each century which means that one visible to the naked eye is due. The last milkyway event visible to the naked eye occured in the very early 17th century, over 400 years ago, and was a more boring (imo) type Ia supernova. Hoping Betelgeuse and Eta Carinae call it quits very soon.

There's generally 1 to 2 supernova in a galaxy each century which means that one visible to the naked eye is due. The last milkyway event visible to the naked eye occured in the very early 17th century, over 400 years ago, and was a more boring (imo) type Ia supernova. Hoping Betelgeuse and Eta Carinae call it quits very soon.

They will (in astronomy terms, probably not our lifetime terms).

I have always wondered about the expanding universe and if its expanding what is it expanding into? universe seems to be a gigantic bubble within another bubble within another bubble and so on.
Its interesting. The evidence ( as I see it ) suggests we are a balloon universe. Expanding and stretching until one day it gets old and starts to shrink and loses its elasticity until an event refreshes it . And start again with different combinations.

You know, I can't help but wonder what was the time of the year, day of the week and time of the day when that asteroid struck Mexico and made the dinosaurs extinct. Was it a Tuesday night? Saturday afternoon? Monday morning? :p

To think that if this 10-km lump of rock hadn't crossed paths with Earth, we humans wouldn't be here.
No Romans, therefore no calendar.
They have narrowed it down to late afternoon, twilight though as most of the dead dinosaurs were squinting at the time of death.

IMO the goal of the universe is to exist just outside the realm of understand-ability.
Sort of like the it's on a universal episode of QI?
Can a universe have a goal?

Stuart Gary is an ABC journalist who has produced this space themed show for many years. Formerly known as Star Stuff, he had a bit of a tiff with the ABC and it's now called SpaceTime, and produced twice weekly as 25 - 30 minute downloadable podcasts. It's an excellent show that I've listened to for a long time, and I would highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in space, astronomy, cosmology.

https://audioboom.com/channel/starstuffwithstuartgary
http://www.bitesz.com/spacetime.html
http://spacetimewithstuartgary.tumblr.com/

Dannnnnnnnnn Abasi is there a place perhaps for a media links thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back