General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm watching todays ODI, and Ryan Harris has definitely won me over. He really gives all aspects of his game a good solid crack. I love that in a sportsman.

He is a top bloke to boot, has been to my nephews cricket club a couple of times and is very generous with his time.

On the subject of players winning us over..... who was this Brad Haddin they speak of?? Wade is a gem:thumbsu:

He is a top bloke to boot, has been to my nephews cricket club a couple of times and is very generous with his time.

On the subject of players winning us over..... who was this Brad Haddin they speak of?? Wade is a gem:thumbsu:

I don't think he's dropped one yet in this series. He's another one who gives it a good go, too. Great attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really into basketball but this is awesome.

Jeremy Lin did not get a scholarship so played for Harvard. Didn’t get drafted. Got cut by 2 teams, picked up by the under performing Knicks as their 3rd string guard but is dropped back to the D league in late January. Gets recalled due to injuries and this is his past week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0oaqWMLdwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNDTjqVLVEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-uNq-N9hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASZKxSMhcM

Have been working my way slowly through the ESPN 30 for 30 sports documentaries.

Most of them are utterly fantastic. Great sporting stories put together by excellent documentarians.

Just watched Catching Hell which was just totally compelling. It's about Steve Bartman, a devoted Chicago Cubs fan who famously attempted to catch a foul ball in a crucial playoff game in 2003 and in the process accidently prevented the Cubs left fielder from taking the catch. The whole momentum of the match shifted and the Cubs ended up losing the series, missing out on the chance to end a century of misery and disappointment - and Bartman was scapegoated for the whole thing, not just by Cubs fans, but by irresponsible members of the media too who helped name and shame him.

The hell that Bartman went through afterwards was just devastating. He was the most hated man in Chicago and subject to repeated death threats and abuse. He has been a recluse ever since. Cubs fans are still divided to this day - some say he has carried on a curse that has plagued the Cubs for a century, others say that the treatment of Bartman is a black stain on the club and that Bartman has to be embraced and forgiven for the team to move forward.

The footage of a meek, nerdy, stunned looking Bartman sitting in the crowd with his cubs cap and walkman headphones on while thousands of people chant "arsehole! arsehole!" and pelt him with projectiles and death threats is genuinely haunting. Really revealing look into the ugliness that boils just below the surface in humans. It made me think of the famous saying "Any society is only three missed meals away from anarchy". In this case, all it took was one missed catch.

It's on YouTube in 10 parts if you want to watch it.

I remember reading all about it after watching that documentary, a lot of the fans and media absolutely destroyed him. Not as many mention the error by Alex Gonzalez at SS that should've ended the inning, but instead led to six runs being scored after the error.

Steve Bartman has done very well to remain completely hidden though, don't think I saw one photo of him post the incident.

Moises Alou in the media afterwards was horrible as well, going from "I wouldn't have caught it" to "Nah, I would've caught it"

Moises Alou in the media afterwards was horrible as well, going from "I wouldn't have caught it" to "Nah, I would've caught it"

Yeah he came off looking really bad. Especially so long after the fact.

And yeah, if the loss was on anyone (as much as it can be in a team game) it was on Gonzalez for screwing up what would have been a regulation double-play.
Steve Bartman has done very well to remain completely hidden though, don't think I saw one photo of him post the incident.

Indeed. The only guy who has tracked him down was the feature writer from ESPN (also a devoted Cubs fan) who followed him to a parking garage. When push came to shove though he refused to do the tacky journalist thing and instead used the opportunity to apologise on behalf of Cubs fans. Nice moment. The accompanying article is here...

That sub-story, along with the bit about the female security guard who went above-and-beyond to protect him were the only parts of the documentary that paint a redeeming picture of humanity.

Have been working my way slowly through the ESPN 30 for 30 sports documentaries.

Most of them are utterly fantastic. Great sporting stories put together by excellent documentarians.

Just watched Catching Hell which was just totally compelling. It's about Steve Bartman, a devoted Chicago Cubs fan who famously attempted to catch a foul ball in a crucial playoff game in 2003 and in the process accidently prevented the Cubs left fielder from taking the catch. The whole momentum of the match shifted and the Cubs ended up losing the series, missing out on the chance to end a century of misery and disappointment - and Bartman was scapegoated for the whole thing, not just by Cubs fans, but by irresponsible members of the media too who helped name and shame him.

The hell that Bartman went through afterwards was just devastating. He was the most hated man in Chicago and subject to repeated death threats and abuse. He has been a recluse ever since. Cubs fans are still divided to this day - some say he has carried on a curse that has plagued the Cubs for a century, others say that the treatment of Bartman is a black stain on the club and that Bartman has to be embraced and forgiven for the team to move forward.

The footage of a meek, nerdy, stunned looking Bartman sitting in the crowd with his cubs cap and walkman headphones on while thousands of people chant "arsehole! arsehole!" and pelt him with projectiles and death threats is genuinely haunting. Really revealing look into the ugliness that boils just below the surface in humans. It made me think of the famous saying "Any society is only three missed meals away from anarchy". In this case, all it took was one missed catch.

It's on YouTube in 10 parts if you want to watch it.
I remember the incident but had no idea of the fall-out. Will check out the youtube vids.

What would be the football equivalent of this? Running out prematurely from behind the goal for a 100 goal celebration only to get hit by the ball before it goes through....in a grand final?

Bartman is a great name though.

What would be the football equivalent of this? Running out prematurely from behind the goal for a 100 goal celebration only to get hit by the ball before it goes through....in a grand final?

Hmmm, more similar if it was the Bulldogs in a close Prelim with next to no time on the clock, the opposition have the ball in their 50, the opposition player kicks it towards goal, it looks like it's going to hit the post, when a Doggies supporter comes on field and punches it (before it hits the post) the ball ends up in another players hands and he kicks it in for a goal for the opposing sides victory. Oh, and instead of their last Premiership being in '54, it was in 1908.

(This is ignoring whatever rules are in place in the AFL for fan interference!)

Not quite the high stakes, but... Wiki
In the final minutes of a match against South Melbourne late in 1970, Wade had a shot at goal to put Geelong in front. A spectator threw an apple on the field, which collided with the football in mid-air as it dropped between Wade's hand and foot, and knocked the football clear of his boot which failed to even connect with the ball. The umpire, faced with an unprecedented circumstance, signalled 'play on'. South Melbourne's key defender, John Rantall (later to be a teammate of Wade's when they both crossed to North Melbourne in 1973/4) picked up the ball and cleared it down field. South Melbourne scored a goal on the rebound and won the game by 7 points making it into the finals for the first time since 1945. Geelong fell to fifth place and missed the finals (then played off between the top four teams) for the first time since 1961.

Another similar-ish happening was St Kilda's loss of momentum in the '04 Prelim after Fraser Gehrig's century and subsequent on-pouring of supporters onto the ground.

Not quite the high stakes, but... Wiki

Another similar-ish happening was St Kilda's loss of momentum in the '04 Prelim after Fraser Gehrig's century and subsequent on-pouring of supporters onto the ground.

Some years ago Kevin Bartlett interviewed both Wade & the supposed guy who threw the apple....An incredible shot, one in a million, to hit a moving target with enough force to alter its direction......If I can find the interview I'll post it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back